5430 Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 24s
Overall Rank = 535/934
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 37/84
Pre-race routine:

Actually managed to sleep the night before - didn't have as many nerves before this race as usual. I was really looking forward to just getting out there and having fun, so I wasn't overanalyzing things at all. Had to leave the house by 4:30 to get to Boulder in time, so woke up bright and early. Drove up highway 93 in the dark, and got to the rez right when the sun was rising over the lake - gorgeous!! Saw Ovetta and Kristin when parking and walked in to transition with them. Found Stacie and set my stuff up on the same rack as hers since we were supposed to rack our stuff by wave. Chatted with all the other BTers (Drew, Brett, Joe, Kim), then got the wetsuit on and headed down to the lake.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam a few strokes to get used to the water. I don't know the official water temp, but it was warmer than I expected - seemed a lot warmer than Chatfield has been lately. I was in the 2nd wave, so got in the water right at the race start and got ready to go.
Swim
  • 14m 39s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

My wave was mixed men and women, but I lined up pretty close to the start anyhow because everytime I line up further back I get annoyed at having to swim around people. When the gun went off, everyone went nuts - I've never had such a rough swim start. Someone swam over me and I stopped for a second to get my bearings, then got going. Once I got out of the pack, my swim went great. I stayed totally on course the whole time, and didn't lose concentration at all (i.e. no breaststroking etc.). By the time I got to the turn around buoy, I was running into people from the wave in front of me, but didn't have any problems getting around people. Overall, got in a good rythm and kept it up through the length of the swim. I think all the open water swimming at Chatfield lately has helped me with navigation and concentration and it payed off. Oh, FYI - the time above includes the run up the beach to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really - this was probably my best feeling OW swim yet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I'm usually pretty disoriented out of the water, but this time I felt fine. Pulled the wetsuit down and goggles/cap off while running up the beach. Got my socks and bike shoes on without any big problems, then ran out to the bike start with my bike. Some guy starting in front of me was all over the road trying to get his shoes clipped in, so I had to stop once to avoid running into him, and start again. Once he was out of the way, I was on my way!

Practice, practice, practice - I haven't practiced my transitions much, and think that would help a lot.
Bike
  • 56m 31s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

First of all, I would like to note that this is first time EVER that I have averaged over 18 mph on a bike ride - WOOHOO!!!!! That said, there's definitely room for improvement... Starting out on the bike course, there is a small hill, and then a long, very gradual uphill on Jay road to 36 - my legs were cold from the swim at this point, and were burning for these first few miles. At about mile 2, my mouth was really dry and I realized I had forgotten to put my camelback on at transition - DUH. Didn't have a spare bottle on my bike, so I had to deal until the first aid station. Luckily there was an aid station at about mile 5, and I grabbed some gatorade which helped. This is the same point that the course started to get fun with some screaming downhills on Hwy 36 and Neva Rd. I had a great time for the next 10 miles, and really tried to push it. A couple of times I caught myself looking at the scenery (beautiful views from this course!) and had to remind myself to knock it off and RACE. I got passed by A LOT of people, but almost all of them were on tri bikes or aerobars, so I didn't get down on myself about it. Passed some people on road bikes, but not a lot. Stacie and Brett passed by during the last part of the course and I watched them both zoom away =)

Ride lots!!! I really think I still have quite a bit of room for improvement on the bike, and that riding more is the first step. Also need to start doing some tougher rides (hill work, etc.) rather than sticking with my usual route all the time. Aerobars would help too!! Still, this was a big improvement for me, so I'm happy about it for now.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

My transition area was as far from the bike finish and run start as you could get, so this probably includes a good 45 seconds or more of running. My legs were jello off the bike, and I felt like a moron trying to run in my cleats. Got the shoes on and tied, and headed out.

Need to buy some freaking yankz for my shoes so I don't have to sit there and tie them!
Run
  • 28m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The hill out of transition was a bit bigger than I as expecting, and definitely not fun right off the bike. The course was exposed, and it was starting to get hot, so I struggled through the whole thing. My left foot was also aching a bit (been having problems with it lately), but I pretty much ignored that and just kept going. Just kept going at a steady pace. Talked to Erik a bit after the turnaround, when he caught up to me. At some poing on the way back, I heard some guy yell to a guy behind me, "Stop smiling and get running!!" - got a chuckle from that. Thank God the finish was downhill, so I could at least pick up some energy before the end. Overall, this time is OK, but I know I can run faster so I'm not happy with it - definitely room to improve here.

Mistake 1 => I only drank about 8 oz. of gatorade on the bike, and think I was feeling a bit dehydrated by the time the run came around. Mistake 2 => Haven't done any track/speed work on the run in months, and it showed. My legs just didn't want to pick up the pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food before the line got too long, chatted with some of the BT crew and hung out with Nate. Didn't stick around too long since we had a bunch of stuff to get done at home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of ability on the bike - will be working on this forever. Lack of hydration - I had a splitting headache all afternoon, and am pretty sure it was caused by not drinking enough before and during the race. Lack of speed work on the run.

Event comments:

Thought the race was well organized - I had a great time!! My goal for this race was 1:50, so I'm really happy that I managed 1:43 - my swim and bike were faster than I had expected. Now I'm excited for the rest of the season!!!

Last updated: 2005-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:39 | 750 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/84
Overall: 255/934
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Clockwise triangle. On the way out, the buoys were lined up with the sun on the horizon which was kind of a pain for navigation.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:31 | 17.2 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/84
Overall: 649/934
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A big square loop through the area around the rez, north of Boulder. Great views!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:29 | 03.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/84
Overall: 541/934
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back over the dam. Uphill from transition to the dam, then flat on a dirt road over the dam.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2005-06-20 10:24 AM
in reply to: #178646

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations on a great race! Awesome job on the swim!
2005-06-20 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race, Stacey! Congratulations on beating your goal by 7 MINUTES (sheesh!) and setting a PR on the bike. It was a fun race.

Your mission: go buy some freaking Yankz laces!!

2005-06-20 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
You did awesome Stacey.....very fast!  Great work!
2005-06-20 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Great Job Stacey!  What an incredible way to blow past your goal. I was with you on the bike scenery.  Since I don't get to see that kind of view very often, I enjoyed it immensly.  You are lucky to get to train there!

It was so nice to meet you.  Is so much fun racing with people you know.  It makes everything more fun!
2005-06-20 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Damn Stacey! Great bike split!!! Sorry I didn't see you come in or after the race.... I can't believe you beat your goal by 7 minutes!!! Next time, you need a harder goal! LOL!

2005-06-20 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Wow, great swim!  You managed that swim better than I did!  Now I know I was doggin it - you beat me by almost a minute!

I barely saw you after the race - but GREAT job!   I'm really psyched you smoked your goal!  That'll help with training!

See you next time!

2005-06-20 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Awesome Job. Super bike time. I rode that course last year in Race the Rockies and it was great

Jason
2005-06-20 7:11 PM
in reply to: #178968

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That is so awesome that you had a good race!  It is fun!  WooWhoo on a great finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed