General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walt Disney World Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3288244

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon : Official Thread
rfergus5 - 2011-01-09 12:08 PM Hope everyone had a great race - especially you folks that did the Goofy. Dont think I ran into any other BTers on the course, but hard to say with estimated 17,000+ entrants. Perfect weather for a marathon (from what I hear...this was my first). Disney can organize a pretty good event and put on a terrific show. This one didn't dissapoint me and everything was just as I heard. Race report will have to wait.........I have to let the wings from ESPN Zone at the Boardwalk settle, then theres the ice bath and onto the carb replentishing (of the hydraulic variety). Have fun at the parks tomorrow for those who are staying.

Congrats on your first mary.  That's a great venue for a first mary.  Course was as flat as they come.  Weather was a bit cold for my tastes, but that's personal preference.  My mary time was just slightly more than double my half mary time yesterday, so I can't complain. 

2011-01-11 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3288314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
rfergus5, good job on the 1st marathon. I agree with you on the race organization... what a great venue.  This was my 2nd marathon and loved it.  Did my first a couple years ago.  I felt sooo much better this time around with much more running experience under my belt.

enginerd, I agree with you on the temp. It was a bit cold for me.  I don't think I really felt comfortable with the temp until the last 10K or so.  My hands were numb for a good part of the marathon and my lungs are still recovering today.  I really should have dressed in layers.  I think it must have been warmer on Saturday for the half, because I didn't feel as cold.  However,  I did wear a windbreaker for that.  Maybe that was the difference. 

Congrats to all on finishing!
2011-01-11 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2741013

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
How are you guys feeling that did the Goofy? I couldnt imagine.

I felt really good after the race on Sun but was quite sore yesterday (always about 1 day delay for me to feel really sore after hard effort). Today is much better.

2011-01-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3292544

User image

Master
San Francisco
rfergus5 - 2011-01-11 9:48 AMHow are you guys feeling that did the Goofy? I couldnt imagine.I felt really good after the race on Sun but was quite sore yesterday (always about 1 day delay for me to feel really sore after hard effort). Today is much better.
My first mary was also the hardest, so trust me, it gets easier. I started doing ultras a few years ago so 40 miles, flat, spread out over two days isn't so bad. Enjoy your recovery. You've earned it!
2011-01-11 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3292544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
rfergus5 - 2011-01-11 9:48 AM How are you guys feeling that did the Goofy? I couldnt imagine. I felt really good after the race on Sun but was quite sore yesterday (always about 1 day delay for me to feel really sore after hard effort). Today is much better.

For me, running the half didn't leave me feeling tired or sore for the marathon.  I didn't run it at race pace of course so that's probably why. It was sort of like a warmup run.  I didn't run the marathon at the pace that I believe I am capable of though.  I was training at a pace of 8:40/mi for many long runs, yet I could only hold a pace of around 9:45 for the mary on Sunday.
2011-01-12 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3293585

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Anyone else get lucky and bring the Flu home with them from Disney? There were quite a few people at the Walk-in clinic I went to on Monday that were wearing marathon stuff that looked like they also had it.

I guess I ran both races with it, I was coughing but thought it was allergies.  After dinner on Sunday pretty much stayed in bed until we left this morning.

Before that though the races were a lot of fun.  We took it really easy on Saturday and then just had fun on Suday, stopped and got lots of pictures taken.  Never seen a course with so much listen to/watch while running.

2011-01-12 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3296032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
dalessit - 2011-01-12 6:08 PM Anyone else get lucky and bring the Flu home with them from Disney? There were quite a few people at the Walk-in clinic I went to on Monday that were wearing marathon stuff that looked like they also had it.

I guess I ran both races with it, I was coughing but thought it was allergies.  After dinner on Sunday pretty much stayed in bed until we left this morning.

Before that though the races were a lot of fun.  We took it really easy on Saturday and then just had fun on Suday, stopped and got lots of pictures taken.  Never seen a course with so much listen to/watch while running.

Sorry to hear about the flu you got.  I got some sort of cold or respiratory tract infection, not sure what exactly.  I lost my voice on Monday, but I've been able to still feel good enough to get to the parks the last few days.  It mostly feels bad in the mornings when I wake up. I'm hoping it will heal up on its own.

Hope you recover quickly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walt Disney World Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2