Lake lopez, California
United States
Cal poly tri club
Total Time = 3h 08m 30s
Overall Rank = 83/
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

My usual spectators were all out of town or busy, so I did this one by myself. Got up early, stopped at 7-11 for some coffee, drove the 45 minutes to Lopez Lake. On the way there I noticed it was already windy. My reward for getting there early was getting directed to a parking spot really far away from transition (great). Pumped up my tires and unloaded in the dark, walked to the transition area. The end spots were all taken, so I took a spot on the perimeter, so I could still get to my stuff from the other side after they closed transition.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, put on wetsuit, went down to the start to watch the first few waves leave. The swim start was in a different location than the previous year, not as far from transition which was nice. The water was in the high 50s, but still warmer than the sand we were standing on or the ambient air, so getting in was actually a relief. I was shivering.
Swim
  • 34m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had some sighting issues, the glare was pretty bad. Somehow I kept ending up on the left of where I was supposed to be. The split includes the run up the beach and up the stairs into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I can think of, I can always benefit from more training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I had my wetsuit halfway off and my cap and goggles in hand by the time I got to my bike. Helmet and glasses on, shoes on, bike off the rack and I was off. Looking at the other T1 times, mine seemed pretty fast, I'm not sure why.

Nothing. My T1 routine seems to be working well.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I drank too much lake water because I had to pee almost immediately after getting on the bike (I held it). The time to the first turnaround seemed pretty short, probably because I was flying downhill with the wind at my back. All the way to turnaround #2 was uphill into the wind. That nasty little hill had me climbing out of the saddle and sucking some serious wind, it reminded me of the 3 sisters at Silverman. Apparently the split includes T2.

Push it a little more. Maybe not.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't know my T2 time because it is included in the bike split. This transition wasn't nearly as efficient as the first one, mainly because the person next to me did a crappy job of racking their bike. It was turned almost sideways taking up like 3 spots including part of my spot, and it was barely balancing on the rack, so it fell off when I tried to rack my bike. I should have just left it there but I picked it up and properly racked it.

Leave the guy's bike laying on the ground.
Run
  • 1h 00m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I told myself that I wasn't going to give this race 100% because I didn't want recovery to take more than a day or so. I didn't exactly take it easy on the run, but I definitely could have given it more. I felt pretty good the whole time, up until the last half mile. I thought I was close to being done since I passed right by transition, but I soon found out that the course continued for another 1/4 to 1/2 mile before looping around a horseshoe-shaped road, and then finally reaching the finish line. That was a bit frustrating.

Maybe push a bit more. I missed 3rd in my AG by less than a minute and a half, and missed going under an hour for my run by less than 30 seconds.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a slice of pizza and downed some water, walked back to transition, picked up my stuff, walked the 1/2 mile back to my car. Went home, took a shower, drank a beer, took a nap. It was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was very prepared for this distance since I'm training for a half, but I treated this as a tune-up race and didn't go all out.

Event comments:

As a CP alum, I enjoy supporting this race, not to mention it is close to home. I have a few things to nitpick about, but overall it is a well-run and fun race.

Last updated: 2010-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:07 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Triangular-shaped, starting and ending at a beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:29 | 24.85 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Down Lopez Drive (I think that's what it's called), then a turnaround and back up to High Mtn Rd. Turnaround #2 is at the top of a short but steep hill, then back to the park.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:25 | 06.21 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Course: A few rolling hills, out and back, mostly dirt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-29 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: lake lopez march triathlon series

2010-03-29 11:37 PM
in reply to: #2756966

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: lake lopez march triathlon series
Nice race! Way to stick to your race plan. This is a great warm up for Wildflower. You're going to do great.
2010-03-29 11:53 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Well done .   I am looking forward to Olympic Distance this year. 

2010-03-30 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Great job!

Since I was in a later sprint wave, I watched the first few Olys into transition, and they were *spent*. They died up the stairs, and were sitting on the ground fumbling with their suits. That T1 split of yours says you were strong out of the swim. Your T1 was a lot faster than mine, and mine was the best in my AG's preliminary results.  Here's my RR from the sprint.

Did you see that one of the Poly team won the championship? What a beast!

Congratulations!

Go 'stangs!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » lake lopez march triathlon series Rss Feed