United States
OnurMark Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = 2/2
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet and went to pre race mtg Sat afternoon. Everyone was talking about the water. I didn't want to see it. Who knows what it is going to be like in 14 hours? Why psyche myself up?
Ken, the girls and I spent the night at Justin Ps so we'd be close to the race. Ken and JP volunteered so we had to be there at 4:30.
Coffee, water, Odwalla bar.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition went for a little jog around the bike rack.
Swim
  • 43m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Sighting was tough at first and I was suprised by how little support there was in the beginning. I sighted off the blue/white lighthouse because you could NOT see the buoys at all. As all the other Gateway RRs state this was a rough swim but I never felt overwhelmed or intimidated. I knew I could do this. I stayed calm the entire time. Sorry guys but I gotta say passing some red caps felt pretty damn good!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. Because of the conditions I was hesitant to go very fast. I was slow and steady throughout.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

I was glad to be done with the swim.
Found Craig, hit the ground and gave him my feet. He did a great job and pulled off my suit with one fast yank.
Carrying a wetsuit while running up hill sucks, wetsuits are heavy when they are wet.
The carpet they put down for us was GLORIOUS!

Wipe the crap that is the bay off my face. Every picture looks like I have a 5 o'clock shadow. Not one single person bothered to tell my my face was covered in silt.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Keri needs to train on hills!
The third pass on the bridge was the worst, it just sucked.

Go faster!
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

My ART guy really wanted me to take Advil before my run. I forgot mine but ran into a friend/supplier. They were gel caps and one was broken. I popped them in my mouth with a swig of water and OMG the taste was overwhelming! And I got the gooy gel stuff on my lips which were singing and swelling. Nice way to start a run.

Just say no to drugs kids.
Run
  • 1h 28m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy Mary Mother of God.
This run chewed me up, spit me out and took my dignity.
I knew this was going to be rough but I had no idea how painful.
The first mile I had a left quad cramp but ran through it.
Miles 2-4 were pretty good, I picked up my heart patient stroll to a sincere jog. At mile 4 I was ready to throw in the towel. Too much walking, not enough jogging. I hurt everywhere except the knee and hip my ART guy worked on the Thursday before. Next time he'll have to do full body therapy. The back spasms nearly had me in tears. When you are on the course and the truck is picking up the cones it's hard to keep going. It simply sucks.
Coming up behind me I see a couple of clydes doing the run/walk. They pass me and I realize one is Andy. That SOB waited for me and jogged with me. We were walking when I saw my husand. I didn't want to disappoint him so I started jogging and he jogged with me. He said "when you turn this corner you'll see the finish" but at that time he might as well have said "when you run 5 more miles you'll see the finish" The road was stretching before me like one of those cartoons. It was awesome for him to run me in!

I tried to HTFU, I really did. I gave myself the whole 'toughen up buttercup' Marine speach. I did the 'pain is temporary' talk but it only carried me so far.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugging, crying, drinking in that order.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Previous injury, possibly illness earlier in the week. I suck on the run.

Event comments:

On Ur Left did a LOT of things right! Course, volunteers, updates, shirts, carpets etc.
But not having my numbers before leaving broke my heart. I am tired of them passing the buck on timing issues. Just fix it.

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:43 | 1500 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/2
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Boat start 1 mile off shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:35:59 | 24.85 miles | 15.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops, 4 passes over the Kemah bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:28:46 | 06.2 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was great, the marking was spot on and volunteers were AMAZING!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-12 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Gateway To the Bay Triathlon
Taken from the shore. One of those little floaty things off in the distance is my boat, do you see me waving?  LOL

Edited by KeriKadi 2010-04-12 11:35 AM

(GatewayOlySwim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GatewayOlySwim.jpg (60KB - 28 downloads)

2010-04-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2785304

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Gateway To the Bay Triathlon
Nice Race!  Way to fight through the pain.  So sweet of Ken to jog to the finish with you!
2010-04-12 11:47 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Sounds like a rough race, but given how your training was with the injury and coming off sickness it's good that you at least got this one under the belt.  Motivation for the rest of the season.  Sounds like ART did you well at least.
2010-04-12 12:33 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Great job Keri!!!  Way to push through the pain and stick it out!  So glad to hear you didn't have any problems with your knee.
2010-04-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2785625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Great job and fun RR!  That is a great picture.  From that pic you'd think it was an easy swim in a serene bay ... lol!
2010-04-12 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
The pic makes you oooh and ahh and think how pretty the swim must have been.

It lies.

You did a great job, just finishing when you're in pain is a hard thing to do.  Rah rah rah, you go girl!

2010-04-12 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Keri,

Great job toughing through the run. You are one tough hombre, but we already knew that... you have 5 kids.

By the way, I was laughing when I saw you run to T1 with your 5 o'clock shadow.
2010-04-12 3:13 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Good job Keri! Way to get through your first Olympic distance Tri! 
2010-04-12 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Keri,
What do you mean not having numbers before leaving? Please explain as I was unaware of this situation. We update as much as we can and as fast as we can. We can only post what we are given by the timing company. I apologize if you didn't receive your times. Are they updated now? Your comment seems as though this has happen before. Forgive me if I don't remember but I can't recall this being brought to my attention previously. Please email me to discuss as this concerns me.

Thanks,
Aaron
[email protected] 
2010-04-13 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
OK, ok next time we will tell you that you have slime all over your face.  We were honestly laughing too hard most of the time to comment. Great job knocking out the olympic distance in one hell of a tough swim.  If an ironman (Justin) says it was a mother, it must have been tough.  Good to hear your bike mechanic (me) let you down and your bike wouldn't shift out of the big gear for the bridge climbs.  We will have to work on that.  It was great to see your smile many times during the race.  I am very proud of you!

Avery jumped on Kerianne's bike and started riding it when she previously had no interest - you have to believe this was because of your race.  The girls are going to run this YMCA fun run because their mommy is a triathete.  I love the message you are sending to our children.

It was a tough call to go find you on the run course but I felt like it was the right move at that time.  I am glad it helped you run the last .5 mile.  Of course I didn't have my Garmin so I didn't get to log my run Smile.  Since there is no proof otherwise I am sure it was a 7min/mile out to find you.Tongue out

You beat every person in Houston that didn't have the guts or ability to compete in this event (ME).  Great job.

love ya
2010-04-13 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Way to overcome alot of hardship and FINISH!! That right there says you had some HTFU mojo going on.

2010-04-13 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice job Keri - it was good to see you out there.  Some days it is really just one foot in front of the other and repeat...  BTW, one of those red caps you passed on the swim was me  

Edited by ashort33 2010-04-13 3:48 PM
2010-04-13 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Great job Keri!  You overcame the pain and FINISHED!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway To the Bay Triathlon Rss Feed