Bellingham Parks
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 49s
Overall Rank = 100/124
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/14
Pre-race routine:

Stress, Panic, short of time, hectic. This is NOT what I want next time. Everything is getting wet from rain. Some lady was moving my bike down the rack closer toward the gutter where water was running. My wife said don't do that. She still did. I was pissed when I got back and found my bike 2 feet farther over than where I set it up.
Event warmup:

50 yards swim out into lake. Than had to get back on grass for pre race brief.
Swim
  • 16m 12s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was raining this morning, so my body was wet trying to get wetsuit on, Was running out of time or so I thought, so I didn't use any Bodyglide (new stick) Got into the water and noticed I have a 2 inch tear/gash in my left thigh where the Logo is. Somthing I didn't need to know. Am I absorbing water into my suit?....getting waterlogged??
What would you do differently?:

I was amazed at people going across my front on wrong headings, what were they looking at, so I had to check up. Did ok going around buoy. Finished strong. Freestyle, 3 breath rhythm. Only did breaststroke twice for 2 strokes. Lost my focus a few times, thinking of the negative, Started daydreaming that this would suck if it was and IM...Stupid me. Keep thinking positive.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Did ok coming out of water, took top off in water and pulled it off, ran with bib on. Felt good. Heard my name called by LBS Mech. Struggled with pant legs, steam was coming off of they inside. Tried to remain calm and not struggle. Everything was wet, Fussed with stupid Bike Jersey, the roll up method didn't work. Stupid BIB # on Nathan belt sucked. No HRM, put watch on but didn't start stopwatch. Hard time getting shoe to clip on to right pedal.

Get a better set up, going to get some actual tri jersey to wear under wetsuit? Or easier to get on. New bib belt, NATHAN brand sucks. Watch wasn't ready and neither was HR strap and watch (they were still in bag). Need to evaluate new pedals and see if my cleats are getting worn. And need to remember to set gears to and easy for starting. Lots of improvement needed, practice.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 14s
  • 21 miles
  • 16.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Fussing with pedals at start. Wasn't smooth. Another thing to make the mind wander. Went up the first hill in second ring/low gear. Passed some other riders. Back side going down, did not hammer since it was very wet. Tenative going down to lake samish, worried about crashing. Fusses with stupid bib#, realized only one hook holding it, went to adjust it and it flew off. (almost went back to get it, thought better of it) Again something to distract me negatively. Climbed the Lake Samish hill in a good steady cadence, second ring. Felt easy sorta. and final hill climb was done standing up and doing slow dance on pedals.

Somehow get away from stupid distractions of bib number, pedal and clips. I also forgot my hand pump for the bike, Only had one CO2 cartridge. No flats. Thank goodness. Bike went well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Long walk to my area from dismount. Because didn't get there early enough to set up my area. Socks were moist from rain, couldn't get them on very well.

Bring some plastic garbage bags, these were also the socks I wore to the race. Never had chance to change, even though I had another pair there.
Run
  • 47m
  • 5.3 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

First half mile, had the knots in the calves, but able to run through it. Didn't feel like walking or quiting. Good mental toughness. Ran my own pace and didn't get in a tizzy.

Make sure socks are perfect and dry.
Post race
Warm down:

Played with dog in the water. Listened to wife complain about the Sony Cybershot camera. She can't take pictures with a digital camera.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Little ticky tacky distractions like race bib# belt and shirt, wet socks.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year if I don't do an IM. IMCDA is same weekend. Very happy going up to the longer distance. Need to practice some long brick training, and nutrition and drinks. Weather was cool and wet ,so never felt dehydration. I'm glad I did the Competitive division. I watched the Recreation race (sorry Harmony, didn't see you). Has potential to be better and great area.

Last updated: 2005-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:12 | 880 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 100/124
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto T1
Course: Across the lake and around a short orange buoy. Hard to see from distance. And coming out of water, had a 3 foot wall to step up on. Beach erosion.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:14 | 21 miles | 16.75 mile/hr
Overall: 0/124
Wind: None
Course: My home course. Out Samish way down and around Lake samish back old samish road and down Fairhaven blvd to samish way. 4 hill to contend with.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:47:00 | 05.3 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 0/124
Course: Two loops around lake padden. Trail was wet and mucky in certain areas. Puddles. One side is rolly and the other is flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 1:38 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Lake Padden Triathlon

2005-06-26 4:33 AM
in reply to: #183704

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Triathlon
Great race, you overcame alot of adversity and pulled through admirably. Good lessons learned!!

Ken
2005-06-26 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race....Thats is just about an oly distance... Hope you had fun despite everything -SMO
2005-06-26 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Great race!  Those hills were evil!  EVIL!!! 
2005-06-27 6:47 AM

Champion
Good race. I always say any time you can learn what to do better NEXT time, it was worth it for the lessons learned. Good luck in the rest of your racing this year!
2005-06-27 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Your RR made me laugh cause this is exactly how I feel when things aren't going right.  Stupid race, stupid course, stupid bike, etc.

Just a comment on transition - it DOES help to practice this so you know how you need to lay things out to be the most efficient.  Also, so you don't really have to think about it on race day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon Rss Feed