Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-28 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2823280

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Working out and family

Fitzy - 2010-04-28 12:57 PM ... just wanted to also add that my kids' activities take prioirity over mine.

For example, one of my daughters takes a program at the zoo. My wife and I alternate taking her (the other stays with the other two kids). The one who goes to the zoo usually gets a pretty good run in. The class is 2 hours long and the zoo has some awesome rolling hills.

I am a little pi$$ed off..like I said, my kids' activities take priority over mine. I looked at their schedules and then signed up for an HIM when they would be done with ballet, etc. Well, one class gets cancelled and they move the schedule back a week. Do I race the event that I've registered for (and paid $$) and miss my 3yr old's recital? Tough call.

Wait until they're older... (I have 15 and 12 yr old.).  You can etch a date in granite on the calendar and it can go *poof* in a matter of seconds.  My $.02...don't miss the recital.  Not that the recital is such a big deal, but 10 years later you'll be watching the video with your 13-year-old and the first thing you'll remember is THAT's the recital you missed for the HIM.

Again, my advice.  A HIM is a big deal financially and in general, so tough call.  I don't recall races I've missed, but I can name on one hand the activities I've missed.

2010-04-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2822588

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

My wife and I both train and race 6-10 races a year.  This year is a little less because we each have an IM.  We do not believe that anyone who is not doing this sport can fully understand the committment needed.  So ...

Hope that your wife becomes interested in racing triathlon.  Seriously.  There is nothing like a spouse who shares your passion.

Other things that help us (in order):

*Drop other time-consuming interests (Golf, softball league, drinking after work with the boys (or girls)).  We have found that our range of interests have become much more narrowed for good or bad.

*Center your attention onto your wife and children when you are with them - meaning get off of the triathlon internet sites when you are home at night.

*Make sure she has similar time to herself if she wants it.  Its only fair.

*Morning training - up before 5:00am on the weekdays and sometimes earlier on Saturday, baby! You can do a 5-hour bike ride and be home by 10:00am to spend time with the family.

*Get home from work early if your job offers flexibility.  That's really a must if you have two-a-days.

*For the kids - try to get them interested in watching your races and find kid-triathlons that they can participate in.  Our kids (8, 6, and 4) have been asking all winter when their "races" comes up.

*For the kids - when they are old enough to ride a bike, have them ride with you on your long runs.  My six year old can bike 7 miles with me and she likes the time with dad.  We use a bike path for safety.

Oh, yea, and the communicate thing, too, is handy.

Best of luck.

2010-04-28 1:21 PM

Veteran
Wisconsin
Early morning runs during the week. Get bike time by commuting to work.

On the weekends, I take a couple hours when it doesn't conflict with other activities or family time.
2010-04-28 1:29 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I'm not married and don't have kids but I thought I'd mention something that 2 of the moms in my running group do which seems to work out very well.  For our Wednesday night run they bring their 3 year olds in jog strollers.  They've hired another running buddy's 2 pre-teen daughters to walk and play with the kids while we run (these runs are always at parks/open space areas so not on roads).  There are plenty of adults around to help if an emergency came up but the kids are taken care of so the dads get some time for themselves as well.  Maybe doing some babysitting trading with friends who train and have kids would work? 
2010-04-28 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
More of what has already been stated. Run, swim early A.M., longish ride Wednesday night and long run and ride on the weekend when possible. My daughters are now 6 and 9 and they ride with me on long runs. Gives us a chance to talk and keeps their interest peaked about racing. THey have both raced a couple of tri's and look forward to being faster than I am. They always beat me on my long runs, I revel in their competitive nature. My wife has completed a Sprint so she gets it. She rides with me sometimes on my shorter rides and I get a family member to come visit and hang out for a couple of hours.

Most important piece of advice that I could give is to have an open mind to the whole schedule thing. I use to get bent out of shape when something came up and I had to compromise "my" schedule. I am not as fit as I was, but much happier man now that I have relaxed a little.
2010-04-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2823280

Regular
North Wales, UK
I'm just beginning training, and generally have a very supportive husband. I manage to run at 5:45-6:45am, I generally only get to ride on the weekends - but I can blame myself for that because I don't like riding enough to get out of bed at 5:45 to do it. 

I swim when the kids have lessons. They have lessons at my gym and I just hop in a different lane. I've got them going on different days, and the other kid stays with DH or visits a friend for that half hour. This is very nice because after their lesson, the boys get 1:1 time in the pool with me, which is always lovely. My masters class is 9-10 at night, which is brutal. I always have running clothes in the car in case I get a spare hour near a trail. That happens about once a week (I drive a lot for work).

I've noticed that my husband will generally tolerate me being out of the house 2 nights a week (once before the kids go to bed and once after.) More than 2 nights and he misses me. This means I have given up book clubs and girls night out type events.

My kids are 4 and 6. I couldn't have done this before the youngest was 3. I work 30 hours a week and want to spend lots of time with my family. I could realistically get up to about 8-9 hours of training a week without making compromises to anything but sleep. I'm not there yet, physically. 

2010-04-28 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have a 12 and a 10 year old.  They are busy with sports as well. My husband coaches about 6 months out of the year, and that leaves me to get them where they need to be.   My swimming and strength training are done in the morning, and my run and bike are done at night.  I'm able to run when they are at practice.  Luckily they are at practice for 90 minutes and 2 hours.  I am finding myself doing alot of late night stuff on the trainer instead of the road.  My longer workouts are on the weekend. 
Fortunately I'm a self motivator and don't need a workout buddy or group.  It would be much more difficult if I had to fit my schedule with someone elses. 
2010-04-28 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
My wife and son get up at 7 AM every day. I generally get up between 4:30 and 5:00 to work out. So I have a few hours every day in which I can get my training. I don't like getting up early, but I do what I need to do in order to make my schedule not interfere with family time.

I also commute by bike which allows me to get time in the saddle with little additional time commitment. In addition, I utilize lunch breaks to squeeze in weight training or go for a walk, which beats staring at the break room wall.

I'm home pretty much every evening with the family. When my son was born seven years ago I gave up most of my other extracurricular activities. I can always resume some of those down the road after my son has grown up.

My wife has no problem with the races eating up four or five Saturdays a year. She understands that the races are what keep me training, and the training is what is keeping me from being an overweight couch potatoe. Odds are in favor of my training giving us additional years to spend together at the end of our lives. 

As a bonus she gets to brag to people that her husband is a triathlete. This draws a lot of oooh and aaahs until they meet me and figure out I'm nothing special.
2010-04-28 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2823566

User image

poquoson, Virginia
Tundra_Man - 2010-04-28 2:06 PM My wife and son get up at 7 AM every day. I generally get up between 4:30 and 5:00 to work out. So I have a few hours every day in which I can get my training. I don't like getting up early, but I do what I need to do in order to make my schedule not interfere with family time.

I also commute by bike which allows me to get time in the saddle with little additional time commitment. In addition, I utilize lunch breaks to squeeze in weight training or go for a walk, which beats staring at the break room wall.

I'm home pretty much every evening with the family. When my son was born seven years ago I gave up most of my other extracurricular activities. I can always resume some of those down the road after my son has grown up.

My wife has no problem with the races eating up four or five Saturdays a year. She understands that the races are what keep me training, and the training is what is keeping me from being an overweight couch potatoe. Odds are in favor of my training giving us additional years to spend together at the end of our lives. 

As a bonus she gets to brag to people that her husband is a triathlete. This draws a lot of oooh and aaahs until they meet me and figure out I'm nothing special.

That's pretty much what I'm doing, exactly. It's good to hear what everyone else is doing, too. There's a lot of hard working and motivated people on this website! It's so neat to see what you all are doing. I have spoken with my wife about working out and she is supportive, but nervous about me letting tri's become too much of an emphasis and take me away from family. So far, I've tried to do the early morning workouts and some at lunch.

Seems to work so far. We'll see how it goes!
2010-04-28 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Fun topic that hits home! We have two girls, 7 and 5, and both my wife and I work full time jobs.

I generally try to run during lunch at work at least twice a week - shortish runs. Then I try to find a little more time for a longer run over the weekend.

We belong to a gym with a pool - the pool closes at 10:30 pm. So I get most of my swims in late at night after the girls are in bed.

As for biking - most of that is done after bedtime also... on my trainer in the basement (I love having that trainer to go to). I also go for bike rides with my daughters during the weekends. My 7 year old rides on a tandem trailer attached to my mountain bike, and my 5 year old sits in a trailer attached to the tandem trailer. It's about 20 feet long of bike and trailers, but we all enjoy it. While I'm not going that fast, I'm getting a heck of a workout pulling all that extra weight.
2010-04-28 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2823001

User image

Expert
trishie - 2010-04-28 12:53 PM
mindymin21 - 2010-04-28 12:05 PM

I am married, don’t have any children and it is still hard to juggle time between the two. My husband hates it when I am gone for so long in the evening training but he also knows that I love doing tris and that it’s something I have wanted to do for a long time. I have tried and tried to get him to come to the gym with me but he refuses so I don’t feel too bad about it. I do however feel bad sometimes when I am done for hours on end. So think I am going to start splitting the training up. Jeff (my husband) seems to like it when I run in the mornings (mostly because I have time to make breakfast when I get done). So I will probably start doing that.

Is there something preventing HIM from making breakfast?

ding ding ding...we have a winner!! 

2010-04-28 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I guess I'm lucky that my husband doesn't really care when I train and who (another thread, of course - the horrors of training with someone of the opposite sex!) I train with (hate ending a sentence with a prep, but whatever ).

When I was IM training I'd let him know where I was going to be and how long I would be gone. He never gave me crap for it. Actually, I think he enjoyed a quiet house

I do think kids change things --- there are little people's schedules to work around. My husband is an adult and can feed himself and take care of himself ---- little ones either need constant care (feeding, changing, etc.) and the older ones have their own actitivites.

We're having our first in October, and it makes me happy to see so many tri mommies and daddies who manage to work it out ! (I think getting a kickass tricked out Bob Ironman stroller will help motivate )
2010-04-28 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Ditto to many on the early AM thing.

I have a fitness club membership (Open 24 hrs) so I can swim and run (treadmill) at any time.  Usually I get up at 4:30 AM (family is still asleep).  I also do cycle class when necessary (raining outside, too dark etc.), that's usually at 5:30 AM.

Long rides are Sat or Sun early AM (as soon as sun rises).  Family still asleep.

My tradition is to make breakfast on weekends so I'm done working out by the time they wake up.  It helps to let them stay up LATE on Fridays/Saturdays) so they sleep in.  Doesn't work for all kids but for mine it does.

Ditto on the communication thing.  You must show your s/o and kids how much you appreciate their understanding/flexibility, that goes a long way.

My $0.02 worth

Guess I'm lucky to have a fitness club close by open 24/7.  So in casel yo

2010-04-28 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
My M-F schedule is to get up at 4:30am in order to be at the gym starting my workout by 5:10am. I workout until about 6:45 and then shower and get to work for a 7:30 start. My husband gets the kids off to daycare in the AM...even without working out he'd still be in charge of that seeing as I start work at 7:30 and the kids don't get up until about 7:00. After work I pick the kids up from daycare and head home to get dinner on the table. The kids are in bed at 7:30-8:00 and if I need/want to head out for another workout I can IF my husband isn't working - he works a lot of evenings. So, we COMMUNICATE about it every week and I fit in what I can where I can in the evenings. I then have either Saturday OR Sunday AM to do a long ride or run while he watches the kids while the other weekend day is his for sleeping in!

So, in a nutshell, I do as much of it as I possibly can when the kids are in bed so I can be with them when they're awake!
2010-04-28 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
My kids are 4 and 6.  I work almost full time, and so I don't like to leave them in day care or leave them alone with hubby too much because I feel like our time is already so precious.  Early mornings are the only way.  I try to be at the pool when it opens at 6 am M-W-F, and when I get home at around 7:15 they are just getting up.  Otherwise, I go for a run or go to boot camp at around that time.    Evenings are spent with family (either their activities, or just dinner/outdoor play time/stories bed).  Now that weather is getting nicer, I'll hop on my bike and ride around with them (our house is on a square, so we can all ride around the square at our own pace). 

I try to squeeze in longer stuff on weekends.  I go to the earliest spin class most Saturdays so that I can get it done before soccer starts at 9. 

We're also trying to just be more active in general.  Last Sunday, the kids were invited to a birthday party in a neighborhood 2 miles over.  Instead of driving there, we rode our bikes.  Not a training pace, but not sitting on my butt, either. 

Our best family exercise moment ever was a few weeks ago, when my DH was still in the throes of half marathon training.  We met another family at the park and the guys did their 15 mile training run while the moms rode bikes with the kids.  I stayed back with my little guy, but my older guy pretty much kept up with the other Mom and older kids and got in 11 full miles.  I did, at one point, get a solo 7 miles in at a training pace.  In all, a glorious day.

Now that pool weather is upon us, I am sure I will get some swims in in a similar fashion -- go to the pool as a family, and I sneak off to do some laps here and there while my husband watches the boys.

Also -- I'm sticking to sprints for the moment.  I can't imagine being able to get in the time that longer distances would require at this point in time.  I do, however, aspire to move up to Olys or HIM in a few years.

2010-04-28 10:37 PM

User image

Bronze member

I try to plan my workouts around my husbands schedule which changes every week. I stay home with my children (age 2 & 4) all day so he is pretty understanding if I need to get out for a while when he gets home. I have relatives that will help out if I'm desperate and I make use of the daycare at the YMCA (although I have to drive 35 minutes just to get there). I get up early if that is the only time that I have but most days I can work something out. The evening workouts are eating into our time as a family but the good news is hubby is off during the summer!!
Now, if he wanted to workout after his work day (which he should) things would be more challenging. You are right - you don't want to leave your wife with the kids too much. Only you two know how much is too much though. I think you are already sensitive to the needs of your wife and family or you wouldn't have posted this concern to begin with

2010-04-29 1:17 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Great suggestions from everyone! I do a lot of what has already been mentioned. My favorites:
- swimmming laps when my son is taking his swim lessons
- jogging with my younger ones in a stroller
- having my older son ride his bike while I jog next to him (He can do 3 miles no problem)
- working out while my kids are asleep (be it early morning, late evening, or naptime)
- communicating/compromising with my husband. Just like someone else said, one of us gets Saturday & one of us gets Sunday to do our own thing.

It's definately a challenge. I'm just starting out myself, have my first tri in 2 weeks. I'm still playing around with what works

BTW I have 3 kids ages 4,2, and 8 months

Edited by jpbis26 2010-04-29 1:18 AM
2010-04-29 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
For me the key was getting a treadmill. I got it originally because I have asthma and there are many days here (outside NY) that are too polluted for me to run outside and breathe at the same time. But, it has been great for Ironman training because I can train all those hours and still be "home" with my family. Between the mill and the trainer, I've been able to do many of my midweek runs and rides at home. My 6-year-old son is homeschooled, so there's no "send the kid to school and then train while he's gone." I either train while he's still sleeping, or while he's up--if he's up, he will often watch Ironman videos with me and bounce on his trampoline. He knows that we exercise every day and just takes it for granted. If he is antsy I put on a video he likes (monster trucks!).

When I was doing shorter swims we would go to "family swim time" at the local Y and I would do laps while my partner and son played. The key to this was to weave very quietly and unobtrusively among the other swimmers so the lifeguards did not get annoyed. I always gave the right of way to any other swimmer and figured it was good practice for weaving among other people in a mass swim start. For longer swims this doesn't work, but it's a good way to start and break your family in to the idea that you have to do laps regularly.

On weekends I try to do long training sessions very early in the day, so I'm home by noon or so and have the rest of the day with my family. That goes a long way toward making everyone happy.
2010-04-29 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
Southern NH
Communication and Disipline.  Sometimes it stinks getting up early and working out.  I find it particularly difficult to Bike in the early AM.  But with 2 kids 4 and 5 yrs old, a wife and a full time job if I'm not done with the workout by 8 AM it most likely doesnt get done.  Also a good point about kids activities taking priority over workouts.  Teeball starts next week and its on Tuesday nights so there goes my one evening group ride, I just need to find another ride on another day that fits with my fam.

Also I would add I wouldn't want to be out for hours on a bike by myself when I could be playing with the family! 
2010-04-29 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

This is a great thread!  I have a 12 month old son.  I cannot get my workouts done in the early morning.  That just is not a good time for my body to exercise.  My husband is the same way.  Kudos to everyone that can do it.

For my runs, I either run on a tready at the gym while my son is in the gym childcare or I load him in the running stroller and go to a local bike path.  On long run day, my husband goes for his run and then I head out the door when he gets home.  Both of us are done with our workouts by noon.

For cycling, I ride my trainer most of the time while my son plays in his playpen.  He loves watching mommy make faces while she is grimmacing in pain.   Long weekend rides are coordinated with my husband.  We do the same thing as for running.

For swimming (when I go), I take my son into the gym childcare.

It works.  Both my husband and I get the time we need to do our workouts.  We coordinate our long workouts so we can get them done without worrying about our son.  I really enjoy running with him in the stoller.  I hope that we are planting early seeds in his brain that exercise is fun and that he can do it whenever he wants to.

2010-04-29 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
memphis
i've got two boys (that i know of) ages 4 and 6. What i know is that realtionships are like checking accounts. In order to have a high balance to spend you have to constantly make deposits, for me this means staying on top of chores around the house and making my wife feel taken care of. What i find difficult is that when she isn't working out, my deposits don't matter so much, and that's tricky.
I have also learned to get on the trainer at 5am or in the pool at 5:30am, this has helped but it sure is a knowing everyone is cosied up in bed. I'm also able to sneak in lunchtime runs.
The weekends always start with a conversation of our wants and needs. i play with my boys alot and so i don't feel too guilty heading out for 2-3 hours.
I'd suggest reading this book
http://www.amazon.com/Five-Love-Languages-Heartfelt-Commitment/dp/1...
It's got a christian focus but don't let that get in your way lol! It does a good job explaining the deposits and withdrawls concept

2010-04-30 6:32 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
I did a fair amount of this when marathoning.  I usually got my workouts done before anyone got up.  That meant getting up between 4 and 5 AM on weekends for long runs and being home in time to do my part.  PS I found that caffeine late in the runs helped me resist the urge to go home lay down and go back to bed (that is one sure way to test the patience of the spouse).  I always hit it hard and then tried to get some rest later in the day when it was not so noticable or didn;t try the patience as much.  During the week, it depends so much on your situation (lunch time workouts can help if possible).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Working out and family Rss Feed  

of 2