Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina
United States
Setup Events
Total Time = 5h 07m 55s
Overall Rank = 44/395ish
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

Pre race---Woke up at 3:00, had Publix brand ensure plus (the strawberry flavor tastes like liquid Frankenberry cereal!!) and a half a bagel with Nutella. We left Shelly’s folks house at 4:00 (for those of you who know Charleston, they live out in Megget). I arrived at transition as it opened and was one of the first few people to rack my bike. I get anxious before the race and getting there early helps to keep me calm. After getting set up, I made about 5 trips to the porta poopers. My intestines were not happy and they were letting me know. I typically have GI issues before races, but, never this bad. I hope that whoever invented Imodium is filthy stinking rich because he/she has done a great service to the world. I didn’t get a chance to warm up so I put on my wetsuit and lined up.
Event warmup:

no warm up
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim: 36:05 (improved from 42:XX in last HIM) I’m finally a MOP’er!!!!!!

The swim was a wave start beginning about 50 ft off-shore. We entered the water and treaded water for about 5-6 minutes and we were off. Because the start was in deeper water, everyone gave each other a lot of space so there was less beating and banging. The course was 2 loops in a triangle. The water was really dark and smooth. Sighting was fairly easy. Overall, I liked the course particularly the deep water start.

I was pleased with my swim. I settled into a rhythm and the first lap was quick. During the second lap, I gagged on some water a couple times and pulled up into breast stroke because I almost puked. I recovered and continued on. This was by far the best executed swim of my tri career. The “alligator eyes” sighting technique we learned in the last open water clinic worked really well. It helped me stay in rhythm and on course!

What would you do differently?:

not swallow as much water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Sorry to # 241.

Be more careful in transition
Bike
  • 2h 40m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike 2:40:32---59th overall, 5th in AG. The fun begins. This was 3 minutes slower than my last HIM on a similarly flat course but that means nothing.

The bike course was flat. No, wait, it was really flat. It was the flattest and least technical course I’ve ever ridden. It was redonkulously flat. Because it was flat, I stupidly thought it would be fast. When I drove the course the day before, I realized my mistake as the winds were blowing my SUV around. The first 20 miles were awesome. I was cooking along averaging right at 23 MPH. My legs were a bit achy, but that is normal for me. It usually takes around 15-20 miles for me to settle in. I’m not sure if a bike warm-up will help, but I may try it before PIT. My back was tight and I was uncomfortable in my aero position. This doesn’t happen in training rides so I’m not sure WTF. At mile 20, things turned rough. Fortunately, they turned rough for everybody. The wind picked up. When I say picked up, I mean they literally almost pick me up. The winds were non-stop the rest of the way. I saw 23 mph (actual speed, not avg) on my odometer turn to 21, then to 19, then for a 12 mile stretch, stayed in the 16-18 range. At this point, I turned my odometer so it was facing down and continued pushing. I’m not going to lie, I was a bit frustrated. I was working hard and not really moving. The last 6 miles were awful. I lost at least 5 minutes on the last 6 miles. Fortunately, my wheel selection was perfect. I was riding Reynolds Strikes (66mm rims) and despite the wind, I didn’t have any handling issues.

Relatively speaking, my bike split was solid. One of my goals was to validate my off-season bike training approach. Based on my relative placement, I definitely improved. I need to do more controlled testing to measure my bike improvements now that my training volume is built up to Ironman levels.

Bike nutrition—24oz bottle of perpetuem with 945 cals. I consumed about 65% of the bottle. I wasn’t sure if this would be enough so I carried an extra gel on the run with me. I drank plenty of water. My nutrition was was good.

Better space out my nutrition intake.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 1h 48m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

1:45:45 is my mud butt adjusted time.

I love the run! It is my strongest event. As a smaller dude, I knew that when the conditions got hot, it likely wouldn’t hurt me as much as everyone else. I recovered my mental state immediately coming off the bike and was strong the whole way through even as things got tough.

The first few miles were very solid. I was running around 7:30’s and feeling good. It was very humid (in the 90% range) but, there was a cloud cover. The highs were supposed to be in the mid 80’s so I knew if the sun came out, it would get tough. As I approached mile 2, I got an urge no runner wants to have. I made it to the porta potty at the mile 2 aid station and let it rip. Ron, I still don’t know how you got in and out in around 30 seconds. This is not something I’m going to practice. Fortunately, that was the last of the disturbance and I was fine for the rest of the race. I’m chalking this up to the same trouble I had pre-race. I continued on and ran strong through about mile 4. Then, the sun came out. I had been running with a HR around 165 in the early miles with the intention of pushing it to around 170+ as the run progressed. As soon as the sun came out, my HR jumped to 170 (my LT was 170). From here on out, everybody started crumbling. The run course had several out and back sections so I was constantly seeing the people in front of me and behind me. Everyone was suffering. My legs were holding out and I continued running my pace. Before the race started I had written on my wrist “push limits.” Now was the time to push them. I was running around 7:30s on pace to nail the run. Then, mile 8 happened.

Mile 8 was the turning point for everyone. We turned down a road and did a long out and back. At this point the effects of the heat and humidity were stunted by a very nice breeze. This out and back section was sheltered from the breeze. Almost instantly, it felt like I was in an oven. It was the kind of heat that takes your breath away. I saw runners in the opposite direction (these were AG winners and Open division athletes) suffering. Some were walking. At this point, I went into survival mode. I focused my attention on the ground in front and my breathing and stopped paying attention to pace and distance. I occasionally looked at my HRM. My HR was right at LT and my perceived exertion was right where it needed to be. Occasionally, my HR would climb a bit and I felt like I was hyperventilating. This has only happened in other hot races so I assume it has to do with the heat. At each water stop, I drank a cup of water and dumped one on my head. This soaked my visor so there was a constant dribbling of water to keep me cool. The water stop at mile nine had ice water!!!! I took 2 cups dumping one on my head and sipped the other one for half a mile. The turn around point was around mile 10. From there, it was a straight shot to the finish. After turning around, I passed someone in my age group. As much as I was suffering, he was suffering more. At this point, I realized I was going to live. I saw another runner about 500 yards ahead of me and set my sights on him. As I passed him, I said some encouraging words. At mile 12, I turned around and saw no-one in sight. I was all by myself and was smiling and cutting up. I passed a volunteer and asked “is this the way to the beer?” As I approached the final quarter mile stretch to the finisher’s chute, I let out a few rebel yells and was pumping my fist in the air. The spectators responded to my energy with cheers. The spectators’ energy felt great. I had suffered and now it was time to celebrate. I crossed the finish line absolutely spent with a smile!!!

I ran an ugly positive split as I saw my miles go from the mid 7s to the low to mid 8’s. My run split was 39th overall and 4th fastest in my AG. My avg pace without the porta john stop was a titch over 8 min per mile. I recently ran 1:33 at ING GA so there is a rather large gap between my open time and my run split. I’m not sure if the gap is a bike fitness issue or if I need longer tempo runs (I currently run 4 mile tempos once per week). I suspect more big mileage bike weeks will help me close the running gap. The heat certainly played a factor in my performance. I gained confidence in the heat which will help me in the Macon HIM.

Post race
Warm down:

beer and a massage

Event comments:

This will definitely be a good annual event for the area!

Last updated: 2010-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 1931 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/38
Overall: 0/395ish
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: 2 laps in a lake that did not have gators
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:32 | 56 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 0/395ish
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: flat with few turns and mostly smooth
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/38
Overall: 34/395ish
Performance: Average
Course: flat with out and backs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-02 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
Subject: TryCharleston Half

2010-05-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2831150

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: TryCharleston Half
Nice looking day! Way to adapt when you got to the run sauna...Running in heat like that is just the lonliest thing.

Good luck at Macon..
2010-05-02 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Congrats on your great race! I was there volunteering and thought it was getting pretty hot out and I wasn't even moving! 
2010-05-02 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
hello

Great race and excellent report.

I hope my town ( Mt Pleasant) will continue to suport this race.

I was in the Sprint Race and its funny we did not see a single thing on the news about the race or gators.

Kevin

Edited by b2673ad 2010-05-02 4:54 PM
2010-05-05 12:48 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga

Great job on the race and good report.  What did you measure the bike distance at?  My sister and I both had it about a mile long.

2010-05-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2838910

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
jlbyce - 2010-05-05 1:48 PM

Great job on the race and good report.  What did you measure the bike distance at?  My sister and I both had it about a mile long.

I forgot to check my computer before I cleared it out, but, several others had the bike and the run course long. I want my 71.3 sticker!!!!!!!

2010-05-05 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2831693

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
b2673ad - 2010-05-02 5:52 PM hello

Great race and excellent report.

I hope my town ( Mt Pleasant) will continue to suport this race.

I was in the Sprint Race and its funny we did not see a single thing on the news about the race or gators.

Kevin

Did any ya'll get the "I swam with the gaotrs" stickers from the beer tent? I thought they were funny. Also, my GF got a great shot of 2 dudes giving the Gator Chomp as people entered the water. Funny stuff!

I'll probably do this one again next year.
2010-05-06 7:10 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga
Definitely a great race.  May want to re route the run next year, though. That last out and back was desolate and brutal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TryCharleston Half Rss Feed