Regina Multisport Club
0C / 32F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 22s
Overall Rank = 46/60
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Had hard boiled egg and Almond butter/S'toon Berry Jam and Nutella and coffee.
Did some browsing on the net. Took one last look at my stuff, and took off for the race site.
Carried some stuff, did some general volunteering. It was snowing out. -1 or -2 out.
Talked to race directors and helped them figure out whether or not to cancel the bike portion of the ride.
Event warmup:

Got everything ready in transition.
No warm-up. I was too distracted. Moved the transition indoors.
Got Dirty Girl ready.
Socialized.
Took two advils.
Had a Gel and looked for a water fountain. Couldn't find one. I hate the Phys-ed building at the university...would it be too much to ask for a few more water fountains where the phys-ed is actually taking place.
Had a great feeling about the race. Everything was so bad with the weather and the conditions, but I felt great.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great 200 m, I was a length ahead of the person behind me, then I started to get tired. Coach Jason was watching and he said I looked great, long and fast, and then everything shortened up and went to hell. Otherwise it was pretty good. I lost count, I hate that.
At one point, I was stopped by the marshall to allow someone to pass me. There was no one there. When he finally reached the bulkhead, he said he couldn't reach my toes to tap them and let me know he was there. I swore so much I thought I would be DQ'd I passed him back within 25 m!
Good swim over all. Not spectacular. But I felt comfortable for most of it.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more and keep focused on long strokes.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

I described all the stuff I had to put on above. The transition really lagged because of the distance I had to run to get my stuff, then back outside.
I really did take my time though. I noticed there were quite a few people who I beat in the water who were out before me. I didn't care though. I had made a decision when I first got to the race site to go hard, but to enjoy myself and to not suffer because of the weather.
So I took my time getting ready for the bike. I was going to enjoy the ride.
I should add that I had duct taped my bike shoes to keep the cold and some of the wet out. My socks still got soaked, but as they are wool, my feet kept warm.

Nothing. I deliberately took my time.
If I was seriously trying to get a personal best I would have changed more quickly and found an indoor transition spot that wasn't so far from the exit.
Bike
  • 43m 50s
  • 22.3 kms
  • 30.52 km/hr
Comments:

I blew it, but I loved that ride. It was cold and snowy and wet and people looked unhappy and I was passing everyone of them and having a blast. I was toasty warm, never hot and am really glad I took my time in transition.
The road was closed to traffic (for the most part) so this was a great opportunity to motor.
Some people, worried about the weather brought their cross bikes. The headwind really killed them.
I loved that ride! So much that I did an extra lap :p

Dirty Girl loved it, but the grit and dirt was making some awful noises in the machinery and brakes/rims.
I was at the bottom of the ranking. But after I did some of my fancy math and looking at my average speed, had I only done 6 laps I would have been in the top 15 or so on the ride and top 3 in my age group.
Stoooopid rookie mistake. But I loved that ride!

Count the damn laps.
Here is what I think happened. I had to reclear my computer and I miscounted how long every lap was. So when I turned around I thought I had done 18k when I had actually done more...so I shot past the turn off.
Dumb mistake. Everything else was perfect. Strong ride. Good nutrition (Hammer perpetuum) Out of saddle acceleration, exceptional aero position.
This was textbook riding for me. And I felt incredibly strong!
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Left my shoes out by bike so had some balance issues, didn't want to touch my socks on the wet, cold grass. Socks were already soaked, but as they were wool, I had no problems.
Transition was actually very good. Still a little slower than I'm used to. I took my time.

Speed it up a bit. Sit down, like I always do to put my shoes on.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Great run. Ran with a woman from my spin class who's name I can't recall...Zena?
She pulled ahead at the halfway point up the hill and I never caught her.
Wasn't passed by anyone else. Felt fast and strong and always in control. I ran really well. I am very surprised how slow my time is, I thought I was going a lot faster.
I really enjoyed this run. It was the perfect end to a race that I will never forget.

Pay more attention to my pace and go more quickly.
Perhaps I had burned out my legs a bit on the bike. But I really had no clue I was going that slowly!

Not much else. I was a little overdressed, same clothes as on bike, without the balaclava, but I didn't overheat too much.

Post race
Warm down:

Did a media interview. Walked around. Tried to figure out if I had done an extra lap...several people had. Doh!
Had a shower, relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to count. Still slow on the swim and run.
Bad weather (that I loved)
Age, chubbiness. General sloth.

Event comments:

Yes I messed up. Yes, this is no way a personal best (although my bike ride was stellar). I still enjoyed myself and proved that I can perform in any weather.
This will go down as one of my favourite accomplishments and one of my biggest disappointments at the same time.
It was a good day for me.

I really felt like I belonged.

Last updated: 2010-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Average
The official race results have my swim time as 20:26. This includes the indoor transition and the long run both to the hallway and back out to the bike. Keep in mind that I took time to put on (over my wet tri shorts and body) tights, wool socks, balaclava, longsleeved shirt, bike jacket and winter gloves. I then had to run in cleats through a tiled hallway. But so did 3/4 of the other competitors. Just stating facts.
Suit: Tri shorts, no top.
Course: I hate the University pool. It is hot, there are not enough lane ropes and the wake is terrible. Circular swimming in a 25m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 1000C / 1832F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:50 | 22.3 kms | 30.52 km/hr
Performance: Good
Course was around 20k with a very long run up to mount line. 6 loops. Yup. I did an extra loop! My official time is 47:52. My HR was very high during the first lap and then it settled enough for me to pick up my pace. I passed everyone and was passed by no one. Hmmmm. Messed this one up. I spun in a very low gear for the last 200 meters. I wonder if I blew up my legs after doing 42.6 k finish.
Wind: Some
Course: Good, flat, tri friendly course. Headwind in one direction, nice tailwind in the other. 180 degree turns at each end, so some traffic. A couple of guys slowed down and were drinking as they were going through the turn, Doh! Hit 42.6 k/hr max. with the tailwind. Very long run up to mountline on a sidewalk. 6 laps is a little silly, hard to count. I got distracted and messed up. Yeah, I blew it big time.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:08 | 05 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Performance: Good
circle around the top of DP hill was taken off the run course because it was too muddy. The whole hill was a muddy mess and I went a lot slower than usual because I had no traction. HR felt a little too elevated at first, but it relaxed to race pace rate.
Course: Usual course. From University to hill and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-04 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker

2010-05-04 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2835090

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Subject: RE: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker
I completely agree with you on the pool temp - it was like a jacuzzi in there! 
2010-05-04 5:15 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Spectacular my brother!!
2010-05-05 5:02 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

To me the fact you enjoyed yourself and found something you love to do is to be congratulated!
Extra lap will make you remember that race longer... Well done!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker Rss Feed