United States
Danskin
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 24s
Overall Rank = 1060/1169
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 40/50
Pre-race routine:

I was doing this race with two of my best friends from college who had previously raced triathlons and inspired me to do this to begin with. Mary Sue was flying in from New Jersey, Allison drove down from Atlanta. She drove down on Friday and spent the night with me in Tampa, and then we drove to Orlando together on Saturday. We all arrived at the resort around the same time. We were able to pick up Mary Sue's rental bike even though our room wasn't ready. We popped on our bike shoes, packed our regular shoes in a backpack, and rode over to the race expo to pick up our packets and rack our bikes by the 3 pm deadline.

WHen we arrived at the expo area, it was just crawling with bikes. There was a tent for quick bike repairs, and the gentlemen kindly pumped up our tires for us (which was a good thing, since I forgot to bring my pump as I had promised I would). Packet pick-up went pretty smoothly and we got our numbers on our bike and found our spots on the racks.

After we had our bikes safely racked and the pressure off, we stuck around for the 12:30 course overview session. It was at that point that I met up with Melanie (Melbel1038). She looked amazing and I was able to snap a quick pick of the two of us together.

After the expo, we snagged a bus back to the main area to get our car and go check into our room (a cabin at Fort Wilderness -- very lovely). We laid out all of our clothes, and then chilled. We made a spaghetti and meatball dinner in the cabin, and had that with salad and bread. Talked, hung out, and watched a cheesy movie (which in and of itself was an adventure: the resort had movies to rent, but a very limited selection, and then the VCR didn't work and we had to have someone come from facilities to set it up for us). Movie ended at 10 and we went to sleep.

Got up at 5, had my usual pre-race breakfast of an english muffin slathered with peanut butter and banana with a touch of honey, with some OJ and coffee, too. Got dressed and headed out the door.
Event warmup:

Walked the .8 miles from our cabin to the start. Then got our transition areas set up and headed to the beach. On the beach, we stayed together as long as possible and just tried to not freak out. Met up with my family, and the kids looked adorable in shirts made for them by Allison.

Swim
  • 34m 59s
  • 800 yards
  • 04m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was just terrible. I was in good spirits when we started, but by 25 meters in I knew I was in trouble. I was prepared for the lack of visibility in the water (I had practiced swimming with my eyes closed a lot) but I wasn't prepared for how far off course I would get without being able to see under water and in my attempts to get out of the way of other swimmers. I was a little Dory fish at first ("just keep swimming, just keep swimming") and then I heard the race support all yelling at me and realized I was way, way too far to the right. It was at that disheartening moment that I did touch a swim noodle offered to me for about half a minute. Then I tried to re-focus and get back on track. I tried to follow advice I had been told -- just back stroke if you have trouble breathing -- but everytime I rolled onto my back I got wildly off course again.

As I was rounding the first buoy, finally, someone on a support boat yelled what I thought was "Are you OK?" So I shouted "yes!" and she proceeded to leap into the water to my rescue. I misheard her, she had asked "Do you need help?" I quickly said "no, sorry, I'm fine, really!" and was very apologetic. She told me not to worry and I tried to keep going. It was around this point that I was also surrounded by a sea of pink swim caps -- the wave behind me had caught up, and were passing me and then some. Then the next waves' caps started passing me. I just kept going, alternating between crawl, breaststroke, and a few minutes of backstroke. At one point -- when I was on the last stretch back to shore, and backstroking -- a support boat guy yelled to me "get off your back, you're going in circles!" I almost cried at that point, thinking "if I could just swim in a !@#$% straight line, I would be DONE by now!" but I had to put those thoughts out of my mind and focus on the task at hand. So I switched to "I can DO this, I can DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS" and kept going. I had to rest a few more times, but I did it by treading water or sidestroking. I did not accept any more help from swim angels. With about 60 meters left, I heard my husband yell from the shore "go Dineen!" and that was what I needed to really make that last push. I swam as hard as I could and powered through it.

I have never been so happy in my life to feel sand beneath my feet!
What would you do differently?:

I am still not sure what I should have done differently in training. The main thing is to take more swim lessons -- my technique is not very good, and if I were inherently faster I think I would not have struggled nearly so much. I need to practice not taking breaths when turning in the pool, or something. I need to get in open water more, and I need to learn to swim in a straight line, darn it! What I did do right, though, was training over-distance: If I hadn't been used to spending an hour in the pool, I never would have survived taking so long with 800 meters.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I was wiped getting out of the water. I jogged gamely up the beach, but then just walked the other half of it to the transition area.

Mary Sue had given me some good tips for transition, and the worked. Rinsed my feet off in a pan, dropped my cap and googles in the pan (wish I hadn't done that!) and stood on a towel to pull my socks and bike shoes on. Had my transition gear set up on the correct side of the bike rack and ran out, no problem. The fastest transition of the Athenas was a little over a minute, and the slowest, over 8 minutes, so I was right there in the middle.

Not drop my goggles and cap in the pan! Also, want to be able to run in and out.
Bike
  • 55m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.06 mile/hr
Comments:

It may be slow to lots of you, but to me? Well, I totally rocked the bike. =) Once I got on the bike, I calmed down a lot. I immediately passed some folks, and that gave me a little bit of confidence. Once through the really long "do not mount" zone -- and I swear, it was longer than the T1 time reflects -- I got on the bike got up to a decent cadence, and just kept at it. There were three small hills -- overpasses, and each time, I thought of Donna, the spin instructor who taught me the art of the seated climb, and just geared down a little and powered through it. In both directions.

I didn't totally relax, though, until I saw my friends. Around mile 3 for me, I saw Allison on her way back. She cheered and screamed for me, I returned the favor, and that calmed me down a bit. Then I passed Mary Sue going the other way around mile 4 (for me) and was able to totally just focus on myself. I knew they were likely worried about me, and knowing that they would be relieved got me relieved.

I passed quite a few people. And everytime I did, I tried to say an encouraging word. This was what was pretty cool about a women's race -- the whole vibe was very encouraging.

The latter portion of the bike was so very narrow -- there was a portion that was on a windy sidewalk, and also, at the very end, there were spectators and the people around me slowed down a lot thinking they were at transition when there was really a half mile to go and I couldn't get around them.

What I don't understand is that my Garmin says I averaged 15.5 mph on the bike. Why the discrepancy? I want to get faster, obviously, and it may not be possible until I eventually upgrade my bike. But for me, on my current bike, I really wouldn't change a thing except to not get stuck behind people I couldn't pass due to space issues. I was very happy with my bike performance, particularly since I haven't spent a lot of time on my actual bike. So I guess if I would change anything, it would be more time on the bike itself.
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

Got myself turned around and ran waaaay past where my bike was racked. That was so wasteful. Once I found my spot, I did fine.

Not lose my orientation. Duh! I was 49/50 of Athenas for T2.
Run
  • 49m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

As is usual, my calves felt really tight when I started out. The first mile seemed to last forever. But once I got there, I was so very happy to be one mile down, two to go. I was running right along, but it was pretty hot by this point, and I was slow. I passed a lot of walkers, and there were only a small handful of real runners passing me. I saw Mary Sue walking in the other direction toward the finish, and was thrilled for her -- she had been sick (fever and strep!) earlier in the week, and so did an amazing job given her illness. My goal was to run the whole thing, no matter how slowly. And I accomplished that goal.

As I rounded the corner for the last tenth, I saw my husband waiting for me and cracked a huge smile. He snapped a few pictures, then sprinted closer to the finish to try to get photos again. Allison had the boys near the finish, and told them to run over the finish line with me. So I grabbed their hands and we ran the last 50 yards or so together. They were so excited to finish with Mommy! Was so very pumped to have that medal placed around my neck. What an amazing way to celebrate Mothers' Day.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana and water and took some pictures with my amazing friends. Then we went to collect our bikes. That was slow going, because there were still gals on the course who had not yet started the run, so they were letting us in just a handful at a time. We were next in line for entry when the final finisher was coming in, and despite the tension of people who wanted in to get their bikes ASAP, we all gave her a huge round of applause. The real warm down, I suppose, was the .8 mile bike ride back to our cabin.

Had the best post-race experience ever. We took quick showers, then had a nice brunch with the gals and my boys at the Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary hotel. At brunch, my husband presented me with a triathlete necklace that had been sent by some great friends who had encouraged me in this whole exercise thing and have been been my life line ever since I got pregnant with my first son. It was an amazingly thoughtful gesture and I cried once again.

From there, we took the monorail to the Grand Floridian for massages at the spa (but, only after time in the hot tub!). After our massages, we went back to the cabin and changed for a truly amazing dinner in Downtown Disney. (And yes, we wore our medals at every stop!). Only after that did we collapse exhausted in our beds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, most especially on the swim.

Event comments:

Great vibe, and a wonderfully welcoming first race.

I have so many people to thank for their contribution to my completion of this race that I don't even know where to start. My wonderful husband Mike and my darling children have been my number one cheering section, and more importantly, have put up with missing Mommy while I trained. The work of basically taking the kids on vacation by himself so that I could be with my friends and focus on the race was tough stuff, and Mike pulled it off like the awesome Dad he is. My parents are far in distance but close in my heart, and their pride means more to me now that I am a parent myself than ever before. I adore my official photographer and #1 fans.

I can't thank Allison or Mary Sue enough for making the tough call to be without their children on Mother's Day in order to race my first Tri with me. Allison started this whole crazy triathlon thing two years ago, and I am amazed and proud that this, her third race, she beat the rest of us even though she was feeling so unprepared she wanted to back out two weeks ago. I am glad you stuck with it. And I am even more awed that Mary Sue raced despite being diagnosed with strep three days before. Her sheer force of will is amazing to me. The Phi Nom Moms really rock!

And so do their husbands -- David and Joe did an unbelievable job of kid wrangling back home and are wonderfully supportive husbands. David took on an extra morning duty, and Joe handled a sick daughter with aplomb. Thank you, gentlemen, for treating my friends in the manner they deserve!

My other triathlon friends from college, Kathy and Rosie, have been an awesome inspiration and cheering section as well. Thank you ladies.

Then of course there are my VCK gals. So many of you are accomplished runners and cyclists in your own right, and the gentle example of your daily exercise grind really gave me the courage to start. In the past few years, two of you have gone from couch to marathon, one of you has done a century ride and several other big rides, and all of you have done so many smaller races and hit so many personal fitness milestones and shared your daily routines with me. And not only have you walked the walk, but you've talked the tawk: your encouraging words have really helped me get going. There is not a thing virtual about our friendship, and I will always cherish your friendship and the token of it that you presented me with on race day. Thanks, ladies.

I also need to thank Donna Baker McCarthy, spin instructor, personal trainer, and butt-kicker extraordinaire. You took me from barely able to sit through an entire spin class to completing a four hour spin a thon, and you always know the thing to say to help me find the inner strength to push one last little bit. Thank you, Donna, and all the gals at the Y.

And my swim buddy, KC. We got each other in the pool back in January, and suffered through those frustrating early days of getting used to the water. I really got the better end of this deal, KC -- you've taught me so much, and all I've done is (mostly) show up. See you at the pool!

I also want to thank all the Manatees and others at BeginnerTriathlete.com who have inspired and encouraged me. I love the community at BT!

And finally, to all of my friends who have found the courage to start couch to 5K or any other exercise program. I can't tell you how exciting it is to me to hear "you helped me do this." I take "if *she* can do it, so can I!" as a compliment and not an insult. I certainly never thought I *could* do it, and it was others' doing it that made me realize it was obtainable. I am more than happy to return that favor, and your kind words and accomplishments inspire me every day!

Last updated: 2010-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:59 | 800 yards | 04m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 1116/1169
Performance:
Suit: No wetsuit. Tri pants and quick dry top
Course: A rectangular course, out, down, and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:08 | 12 miles | 13.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/50
Overall: 887/1169
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:49:07 | 03.11 miles | 15m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/50
Overall: 1069/1169
Performance: Good
Course: Oddly shaped course. Not as much support on the course as I would have liked.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-11 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: 2010 Danskin Orlando Triathlon

2010-05-11 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2850487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: 2010 Danskin Orlando Triathlon
My race support:
race support

Allison, Mary Sue and I at the swim start:
at the start

Happy to be out of the water:

Happy to be out of the water

Finishing the bike:

finishing the bike

Running to the finish:
Running to the finish

Crossing the finish with my boys:
crossing the finish with my boys

Proud finishers:
proud finishers

Post race, wearing my awesome necklace:
post race
2010-05-11 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Congrats Dineen, awesome awesome awesome.  When's the next race?!?  I think everyone has a story to tell about their very first swim...now you do too!!!
2010-05-11 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Fabulous job!!  You conquered the swim, ruled the bike, and mastered the run!!  And you met your goal of running the entire way!  Fantastic!  Your report was great to read, it sounds like you had a blast and had a lot of support.  Love your kids t-shirts!!
CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!

Karen
2010-05-11 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Congratulations triathlete!  You could have given up numerous times on the swim but you dug deep and kept with it...that is truly an inspiration to many of us.  Racing in a triathlon can be a mental game too and you seem to have that part under control.  Good to hear that other athletes were encouraging you and you were back to them as well.  I love racing with triathletes...we are generally a very supportive crowd.  Again congrats.  Now it's time to schedule your next race
2010-05-11 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Wish I could give you a huge hug, Dineen. You worked hard and deserve all the great feelings. Not many people would have finished that swim after your experience, but that just speaks to the type of person you are. No wonder you have such a great support system with friends and family. I'm so happy for you, triathlete!! And, I love the photo of you with the medal...pure satisfaction. FWIW, my first tri swim was just awful...they do get better. And, I know you' do another tri, right? Any idea which one?

Congrats again!!

2010-05-11 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Sounds like you had a great time with friends and family too!

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE! I am so proud of you!!
2010-05-11 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Awesome job Dineen!  I loved reading your RR, I felt like I was there!  You did an amazing job with your first triathlon...TRIATHLETE
2010-05-11 5:20 PM

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
Cool, you are a Triathlet! Great race report, this will help me prepare for my first tri.
2010-05-12 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
You're an amazing woman Dineen.  I was so impressed with your grit on the swim but also that you ran every step of your 5k.  That's hardcore.  Your thanks to your family and friends brought tears to my eyes.  Way to go triathlete!  I can't wait to read your next race report.
2010-05-12 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Way to go Dineen!  What a great RR!  Congratulations, you're an inspiration!

2010-05-12 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2854824

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Thanks all!  Wanted to add one more picture:  me with fellow BTer MelBel:

Dineen & MelBel
2010-05-13 6:26 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!  You have lost your triathlon virginity in fine fashion!   What a great job you did!

It was great reading your RR.  You are a lucky girl to have so many friends and supporters in your fitness life.  Tri friends and familly make the world go round! 

I too am a poor sighter in the water and my helpful hint is this...when you get back in the pool, teach yourself how to bilateral breath.  I am guessing you breath on one side.  It is very akward at first, but it's totally doable!  It helps to regulate your breathing, (try every three strokes), keeps you swimming in a straight line better (yay!) and if on race day you have to deal with waves, you will be able to breath on either side to avoid "hydrating" on the swim!

Oh yeah, you should also know, YOU ARE A REAL RUNNER!!!  Being a real runner is someone who goes out and trains, registers for races and then....races!  That would be you! 

Congrats again on a great race! 

2010-05-13 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Congrats on your first Tri! I was originally going to do this race for my first one but since I didn't have much time to learn how to swim I opted for one with a shorter distance swim. I'm pretty scared that my swim is going to go a lot like yours did. You handled the challenges really well, I only hope that I do the same this weekend. Thanks for the great RR!
2010-05-13 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
WOO HOO!! What a great job you did. I really enjoyed reading your race report and seeing those fantastic pictures. Not only is this a great accomplishment for you, but you have inspired others as well.

Oh, and I agree with TrishM. You ARE a real runner.

Congratulations!!
2010-05-13 5:46 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Awesome race report and great pictures! Well done out there ... what a great smile!

2010-05-13 7:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Danskin Orlando Triathlon Rss Feed