General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
Revolution 3
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 19s
Overall Rank = 164/372
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Wow I just deleted my first Report... Such an idiot.

Woke up, ate breakfast, hung out with Marma, Ron, and Tony for a bit. Got suited up, laughed at Ron because he put his wetsuit on backwards ;)

Got ready with my division
Event warmup:

No warmups... jumped in and got ready for the buzzer.
Swim
  • 33m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim just didn't go well. I got kicked, which didn't really do any damage, but it just kind of knocked me out of my rhythm. My wetsuit got a bit smaller I think (Or I've gained some weight haha) and was tiring out my shoulders. I felt very disappointed with my performance. I knew coming out my dreams of a 2:3x were not going to happen.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swim practice. Too much bravado, not enough intelligence in my practice. Looking back I am still quite disappointed, I should have been much faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Got my suit stuck over my timing chip. Couldn't figure out why my suit wasn't coming off... finally it hit me and I came out quick after that. Shoes/Helm/Glasses on, running to the mount line, on and out without other athletes falling into me. (That's a first)

Remember what leg my chip is on.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I should have hammered on some of the flatter parts. I ended up with a pretty bad recurring calf cramp in my left leg, which I got tamed the couple of times it hit me pretty fast, but it definitely dropped my speed the last couple of miles. I was also pretty annoyed at some of the drafting going on after the Rev people made such a big deal about it. I had people all over me as I was going up the hills, absolutely no backing off at all.

Better hydration before hopefully would have solved the cramp. Otherwise, be a bit more aggressive with my gearing and maybe risk dropping the chain to hit the big ring on the descents... although my bike comp registered me going 38mph down one "techy" hill, so maybe my life was saved because I didn't.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Forgot to take my feet out of my shoes the last few hundred meters...doh. Cost me a few seconds I guess, still no big worries. Exiting on the run was a bit odd, so although I started going the wrong way, I got called out by an official and quickly remedied it.

A bit better planning on Rev3's part for the T1-T2 area would have been nice. Otherwise, remember to take my feet out of my shoes before the dismount line.
Run
  • 53m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried in vain to drop down to my goal pace (7:xx) and managed it for a few minutes, but my calf was having none of it, so I laid back and went into cruise control. I met a guy on the run (forgot his name) who was running the same pace, so we chit chatted (yes, that's how lame my pace was, I was able to hold a conversation while running) as we finished up the last 3 miles or so.

More bike/run bricks I suppose... better hydration on the bike might have saved me, but I doubt it. I just blame weak calf muscles.
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the chute, got my chip off, got a shirt, medal, boxed lunch, and met up with my family/friends. Then I was spirited away (after cleaning out transition... I admit, I stole my name tag off my Transition area) to eat lunch with my Mom/family. I know the people at the restaurant appreciated how badly I smelled/looked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM Training cutting into my speed... a bit over a month of no running over 3 miles at a time, Needing to HTFU. I dunno, it was just one of those days where a lot of tiny things going wrong ended up hurting in a big way at the end. Still, I broke 3 hours, which I'll take on a day like that.

Event comments:

Rev3... get your Trakkers units working and smaller... enforce the rules you preach, and get a better post race meal. Otherwise, great race.

Last updated: 2010-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/24
Overall: 240/372
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Apex
Course: Down about 500m, turn at the big red bouy, back down 1000m to the docks.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:19 | 24.85 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 161/372
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Good Old East TN roads at their best. Home court advantage helped me a lot on the downhills. I've ridden these roads enough to know that most of the ones that "look" bad are really quite wide turns. Being on my roadie helped too. Lots of Hills hurting a lot of the stronger riders.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:19 | 06.21 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/24
Overall: 164/372
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty smooth all in all. Some Stairs (!) to go down and up bottled us up once... which was a bit of a pain. The bike and run course also intersected, which could cause disaster... and almost did a couple of times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-11 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon

2010-05-11 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2850880

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon
LOL, how did you delete your race report?  Were you trying to copy to your training logs?

Anwyays, will repeat from last one.  Nice meeting you down there, and next time bring your P-X.
2010-05-11 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2850998

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
haha I had two "rev3 olympics" in my race log, I thought this was the one that had all the report stuff in it. So I deleted the other one like a big dummy without checking first.

D'oh.

2010-05-11 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2850880

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
I'm glad you were there to witness the backwards wetsuit. He'd claim it never happened if it was just me.

Great to meet you and your family, hopefully we'll see you there next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed