General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
Revolution 3
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 7s
Overall Rank = 136/500ish
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/43
Pre-race routine:

Heh. Let's call this the race of 'doing it all wrong'. Let's run down the list.

1. Didn't attend the athlete meeting. Thanks, John, for filling me on all the stuff I should have known. I appreciate it.
2. Didn't check my bike to see if it would shift properly before I racked it, nor what gear it was in. oops.
3. Left my trainer tire (2000 miles, giant flat spot) on the bike. Let's hope for no blowout.
4. Had my wetsuit altered (thanks, ProMotion), but didn't try it on prior to the race...so hoping for no chafe and a decent fit.
5. Tried my race shoes (Brooks burn) the Thursday before the race...they felt great, other than carving a hole in my little toe. I'll fall back on wearing some Saucony's I've never worn running before. Smart, no?!
6. Didn't check my flat kit. Going into the race, had no idea whether I had CO2, an inflator, or a tube without holes.
7. Slept 4 hours, tops, the night before the race. That basement was cold.
8. In related news, I had a couple glasses of malbec and a sam adams prior-to. Hmmm...
9. Pre-race meal: Banana, chips ahoy, and diet pepsi. This is SOP for me, not a biggie. But don't try this at home.
10. Did a can-opener off the dock...and lost my goggles. Took 4 of my 5 minutes prior to our wave take-off in the water to find 'em, was a little concerned I might be swimming goggle-less. But I found 'em, and the can-opener was pure. Monster splash. Heh.
Event warmup:

Hit transition to set up my stuff. The transition quarters were TIGHT. Like almost no room between bikes, or areas. Laid down my stuff, managed to break my pump and borrow the one that the bike shop had set up in transition, good to go.

Then...took the 1/2 mile walk over to the swim start...the entry to the swim was a low dock in the water, which afforded everyone the chance to goof-off getting into the water. I did...the aforementioned can-opener. Then a google search, 2 min of gentle warmup, a high-sign to my fan base on the bank, and woop, offwego.
Swim
  • 22m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Heh. Interesting being in the same wave as all the under 30-year-old women, much less a gal with an entourage that was 17 years old. A lot of whoop-whoop in the water, Taylor Swift would have been proud.

The horn blew, I took off. And promptly got run over by 6 people. Now I know why I don't appreciate the swim....it was enough that I sat up for 1 minute and let them go - wanted no part of the washing machine...it was a training day, no?! So I coasted in the back of the pack.

Once we got to the turn-around buoy, I'd decided that I had a better line than everyone else (and I did), so I was waaaaay wide, and got into a great groove. Passed everyone. Or a lot of everyone, not sure if it was everyone everyone. A perfect swim, I won't give any of that back, staying completely aerobic, smoov.

The swim exit was a dock that sat 8 in above river level: I breached the surface and beached myself on the dock, trying not to rip the wetsuit. Success. Rolled over, and was up the dock running. So far, so good. :)
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps be in front....I was faster than most of the folks there, but starting in the back, was battling upstream for most of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

I just took my sweet-ass time. Heh. Got out of the water, ran up the dock and over the timing mat, and heard someone say my name. All good. :)

Once in transition, I tried to talk a marshal into doing the bike for me. No dice. Dammit. I also chatted up one of the intense guys in transition, where every second mattered. He was NO FUN. Whatever. I'll get you on the bike, big intense boy. ;)

Snagged the bike, ran to the mount line, and...mounted. Someone took a picture of me and gave me cowbell...attagirl. :) All was good. Aside from loafing my way through transition, which was the plan, twas perfect. After all, this is a training, day, no?!

Nuttin, honey.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

We had previewed it the day before...but the course lived up to its billing....not a flat spot in sight, and some of the most gorgeous terrain ever.

Getting out of town was flat-ish, I dropped the hammer and flew by 30 or 40 folks pretty quickly. Nice. I'll take that. On the other hand, Patty (who I need to look up) and two other folks checked the fuck out. Like went by me at an amazing rate of speed with no conscience. Damn, got nothing for ya, peeps.. Knock it dead. :) Anywaaaay....

Once out of town, there was a big climb, then some technical downhills, then more climb, then more technical, then one final climb. I yo-yo'ed with 'teeny black shirted girl'...she'd fly by me on the uphills, and my giant butt would cruise by her on the downhills. I did finally drop her, but she punked me badly on the run (story forthcoming, heh).

I thought I was acquitting myself on the uphills, and jamming the downhills, but the avg speed was disappointing. Completely thought I was working harder than that....Damn. On the plus side, there were a couple amazingly peaceful spots on the ride...one in particular strikes me....cruising flattish-downhill at 30-ish, not soft-pedaling, but not pushing it either, I ran across a pasture with horses in it. I found myself with my elbow on the aerobar pad, chin in hand, just admiring the scenery and ponies. I was spectating some very awesome natural beauty. Love.It.

So the last 8 mi of the bike were the 'endurance concept chase' portion of the bike. Dude had a lime-green and blue EC shirt on, I saw him in the distance, and decided I was gonna track his azz down. Not.

Bottom line: never caught EC boy, but tracked down a lot of folks with that effort. Solid. Can't imagine the field had a good bike avg as 19mph isn't an 'aggressive' split, and I was pushing it.

Nuttin, honey. I was redlined most of the way, that's all I had.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Once again, took my sweet-azz time. HOWEVER....

I had left a bottle in transition...carbo-pro (pure sugar) with a couple salt caps in it. Well, one of my rackmates had tipped the bottle over in their T1 after mine...no biggie.

Except the bottle emptied itself out into my shoe and sock. Squish. Damn, ok, I'll work through that. Grabbed my crap, headed out. All good.
Run
  • 57m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this is where the race came to roost. And not in a good way.

When running, I was likely at 8's. When not running, which was often, I was going slower. It averaged out to 9:30's or so, but very slow and very much in line with the crap training I'd done.

I leapfrogged the entire run with a relay girl...run...walk. She passes me. Run, I pass her...walk, she passes me. Ad infinitum. It was actually pretty motivating; I'd probably have been slower without her to chase. I was also inspired during a walk break by a 50-year-old that said three strong words to me: "Forward Motion, C'mon". I appreciated that, and tried to comply.

I also saw Tony at Mile 2.5ish of the run:

"Hey Tony"
"Hey, Why are you walking?"
"Because I can't run, asshole"
"Are you OK?"
"Yeah, I'm great"
"OK".

And off we went. :) Bottom line, I wasn't trained for the run, it showed, and it actually turned out better than I thought. No.Regrets.

Train?!
Post race
Warm down:

Finished. Caught a sandwich, some water, and rooted ron, mike, and other folks for 45 minutes, hanging with Mila and Emily in the chute. Awesome race, awesome finish. I'm a fan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

A perfect race. Rev3 puts on a show....they do. I'd recommend a Rev3 event to anyone. Best.Race.Ever.

Also completely thankful to meet some BT'ers I've known on the online but not had a chance to catch up with...Bear, Dylan, Emily, Tony, Chris, David, the other David, and some ohthers.

And it was fantastic to catch up with BT'ers I've known forever but don't catch up with in person nearly enough...Dollar, Jess, Ron, Mike, Mila.

Finally, I spent amazing time with new folks...Jordan Rapp and Herbert Krabel from ST, Heather Golllnick, Big Matty Reid, Natasha Badmann, and a thousand other great folks, all of whom took their time to make the event a perfect race. And when I say perfect, I mean perfect. Rev3 is the standard.

Thanks for an amazing event, everyone. Can't wait for the next one. :)

Last updated: 2010-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/43
Overall: 107/500ish
Performance: Good
Suit: Fullsuit.
Course: Treading water start, out (into the sun) for 400M, then back with the sun for 1100M. No current, Visibility was minimal in the water, buoys were well marked.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:33 | 24.85 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/500ish
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/500ish
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & back, pseudo-hilly, with no shade and plenty of aid stations. Volunteers were awesome.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-12 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon

2010-05-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2854991

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon
I caught up with you on the swim after the second buoy right under the bridge.  You were really wide.  I went wide too and tried to hit you on the head a couple of times but couldn't line up my attack.  Then I realized I was off the draft line and moved right 10 feet and took off.  Good race!
2010-05-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2856633

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
LOL.

Nice race report.

Not a bad race for not really training for it.
2010-05-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2856711

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You are too funny!  It was a pleasure hanging with you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed