Jack and Adam's
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 26s
Overall Rank = 53/426
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/32
Pre-race routine:

Tammy and I drove down the day before the race, picked up our packets and headed to the race site to check it out. Everything was fine till we drove the bike route... there were 5 low water crossings, ALL of which had water going over them, a few as deep as 5-6 inches! We didn't know what would happen with that. We drove to our hotel and checked in and then had dinner at Olive Garden and went and saw a movie. When we got back we got everything ready for the race and got to bed around 9:15.

We woke up at 5:00, had our little breakfast and coffee and headed to the race site to be sure to get a good parking spot. Unloaded and headed towards transition where they body marked us on the way in. I had a dyslexia moment and told them the wrong number and had to go back and get it fixed, felt like such a dumb@$$! Hit the portapotty a few times and talked to some people and waited around for the start. Had a GU and some water when the first wave went off.
Event warmup:

None... the swim warm-up was about 45 minutes before my swim, so I didn't bother, and I didn't want to get wet and then feel cold waiting for my wave to go off.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was NOT happy with this swim time! I had expected it to be right around the 5:00 range. This was the first swim I've had that I've really had people bumping into me. I had women CLOSE on either side of me for the majority of the swim, I felt like the baloney in a baloney sandwich!... my fault because I didn't get my usual place of being on the side in the front. They herded us in pretty quickly and I was only able to get to the front, in the middle. I expected to pull away from the pack quickly, but there were some awesome swimmers and they kept up with me and even when I tried to really pull away I couldn't. Got bottlenecked by the turnaround buoy, just never got my swim groove going even though I was feeling strong. Water was kind of yukky and I gulped a couple of mouthfuls at the beginning, ugh.
What would you do differently?:

Line up on the SIDE and not the middle! Probably do a warm-up even if it was a long time before the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This felt a little slow, almost lost my balance bending over to get the socks and shoes on. Couldn't really run with the bike, felt like I was tip-toeing on the cleats.

Not sure... just get the shoes and socks on faster.
Bike
  • 33m 52s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike!! I had a bit of a problem getting clipped in at first, but once I got going I WENT! I think only one person passed me and I passed TONS of people! I was just flying! Really happy with this leg.

Get clipped in quicker!
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Not much to say, pretty good transition, can always be faster!
Run
  • 19m 22s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt pretty good off the bike. By the time the run started the sun had broken though and it was getting a little warm. First .75 miles was on a slight uphill. Passed some people and got passed by some people. I was breathing pretty hard and tried to slow down just a little, walked through the water station and walked about 15-20 seconds before we got off the road and back to the loop around the lake. Picked it up as much as I could on the last stretch... I was actually very surprised my pace as as fast as it was!

Run FASTER. Gotta keep working on the run and bring that pace down, it's still killing me. I've made amazing improvements since last year, but still have a good ways to go... oh, and lose 10 pounds, that will help overall.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Met up with Tammy and got some fat-free soft-serve ice cream, and then a burger, chips and oatmeal pie. Waited around for the give-aways and the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting boxed in during the swim, run fitness still not where it needs to be.

Event comments:

This was a really fun race, lots or camaraderie among the women. There were some really awsome athletes in my AG!! I had hoped to bring home some bling, but even though I didn't, I was very happy with my performance and know where I need to keep working.

Last updated: 2010-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 328 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 41/426
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit and Tri top
Course: Out and back in a shallow lake, keeping buoys to the left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:52 | 11 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 29/426
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: They ended up changing the course because some of the low-water crossings still had water going over them. They said this shortened the bike, but I don't think it did, at least by much. A lot of rough pavement, some pretty good-sized hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:22 | 02 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/32
Overall: 189/426
Course: Out and back and then looped around the lake to the finish. Mostly on pavement, but finish shoot was soft sand.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Skeese Greets Womens Tri

2010-05-16 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2861700

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: Skeese Greets Womens Tri
Congrats on the great job Hilde!!
2010-05-17 7:12 AM

Expert

Good job on the race. Wow nice bike split, and sounds like you had fun

2010-05-17 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You rock, Hilde!! 
2010-05-17 9:45 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
Hilde You did AWESOME! Your run is great! We are always our own worst critics. keep it up you speed angel!
2010-05-18 1:06 PM

Veteran
Way to go. Sweet bike time. What a mentor I have!
-k

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skeese Greets Womens Tri Rss Feed