Georgia Multisports Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 14s
Overall Rank = 11/45 (F)
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Had a toasted bagel with PB. Rode my bike to the transition area from the hotel and setup shop in transition
Event warmup:

Walking a mile down the beach to the swim start (pretty sure that was the actual distance). I swam part way out to the first bouy and already knew we were in for a rough swim.
Swim
  • 34m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

That took a hell of a lot longer than I was anticipating based upon times from previous years. The water was rough and the bouys were so far apart that it was very difficult to sight. I definitely did not swim in a straight line because I had to swim back out to round the last bouy. I did not enjoy being manhandled by the ocean. My calf and foot started tightening up towards the end. This time includes a quick turnaround to grab my goggles (which slipped out as I was running out of the water), running up the sand, and stripping off my wetsuit while standing under the beach shower.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in a straight line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I was in the worst spot in transition. At the very end of the last row that was opposite the bike out/in. I had a long way to run with the bike.

I would have loved to have been in a different spot but that wasn't a choice of mine.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 39s
  • 28.98 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Can't say I really felt a tailwind but I definitely was feeling the headwind. I was hanging out near the bottom of Zone 4. I could have picked it up some but my calf was bothering me enough that I didn't want to push it.

Kept it closer to the top of Zone 4.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Again. My rack position hurt me here. That was really it.
Run
  • 57m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good. I was thrilled when I looked down at my pace at one point and saw 9:00 min/mile. Granted, I figured out soon that I had a tailwind at that point but that definitely was a morale booster because I knew I was on pace to have a good time. This was my first race using a HRM and it was great to have because I probably would have slowed down if I saw I was going that pace and didn't having the HRM telling me my effort was within range. I was really hoping to go under an hour but was doubting how realistic that was in the days prior to the race. I would like to point out that this was my first time doing a 10K under race conditions.

Start pushing it a little earlier. I felt great at the end and never felt pukey so I think I could have left a little more on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the expo and collected things like: a beer, a bagel with PB, a Mix 1. I made sure to keep moving for a while before I sat down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course conditions that day and the tight calf since I was cautious as to not push it to progress to a brutal cramp.

Event comments:

Took forever to get results because something was not working properly. Other than that, it was a great race. It was not ideal conditions for that race but everyone else had the same conditions.

Last updated: 2009-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:27 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 5/45 (F)
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Swim out to the first bouy and then swim along the shore to the last bouy and then swim into shore. It was supposed to be down current.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:39 | 28.98 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 12/45 (F)
Performance: Good
Zone 4
Wind: Strong
Course: Two laps around the perimeter of the island. Tailwinds for a section and evil headwinds for a section. Flat course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:28 | 06.21 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 22/45 (F)
Performance: Good
Zone 4 until the last mile.
Course: Hot run along the beach on a bike path. We had to detour to the road for a little bit. There were very few sections of shade and there was a tailwind going out and a killer headwind coming back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

2010-05-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2863462

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Subject: RE: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

Congrats on the 2nd in AG. I was awed when I saw you managed a 34 minute swim in that water. You are right about the zig-zagging. I turned at the first bouy and started swimming straight across then realized the 2nd bouy was WAY further out and had to make a hard right turn. Also congrats on the fantastic run. 59 minutes shows your training really paid off. 

2010-05-17 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Woot! Woot! Way to go and throw down some awesome splits ... while picking up 2nd in AG! That is an awesome display of using the fitness you gathered through your consistent training.

What was particularly impressive was how you handled the bike rack position and determined that it was outside of your control.  Total mental toughness ... which is harder to get than speed through training.  You are definitely ahead of the curve.

Also, way to hold it together on the run - especially since it was your first 10k distance during a race.  That's a good sign for things to come this summer.
2010-05-17 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Great job!  2nd A.G finish.  Top 25% run in your A.G. is quite good for a "craptacular" runner.Wink  ( I think that is the word you used to describe your running prowess.)
2010-05-17 5:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
That is an awesome result, especially on the run.  There were actually 76 women, not 45, that started at this race, so you did even better than you think!!

Congratulations!
2010-05-17 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race!!!!

Brian

2010-05-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2864724

User image

Master
You rock!  To bust out the 19+ mph on the bike and then back it up with the under 60 minute run - awesome! : ) Way to go, Katie!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtle Crawl Triathlon Rss Feed