Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Guelph Lake 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-18 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2870271

Regular
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake 1

I'm doing my first Olympic Sunday morning. Have done both the try a tri and sprints in the past years.   Weather looks good last time I checked for Sunday (Saturday maybe a chance of rain)...swam in the lake Tuesday night and it was a little chilly getting in but felt wonderful once in.   The local paper said over 2200 participants over the two days including 800+ for the Olympic.  Lots of people.  A good time always!  Good luck all fellow racers!!

2010-06-19 6:09 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Tomorrow will be my first Olympic distance. I did the Milton duathlon a couple weeks back and died on the run. I'm starting to think the 10km run tomorrow will be a bit much for a rookie runner like me

Good luck everyone.
2010-06-21 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Well, how did everyone find it?  How was the 'Try a Tri' and the Olympic?

The sprint started a little grey but it sure did heat up.

For me, I accomplished what I set out to do - get through the swim. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't without panic and doggie-paddling a good portion of it.   It was busy on the bike course and the run but I felt good for those!

2010-06-21 10:14 AM

User image

Orangeville, ON

This was my first Oly and I'm happy with the fact that I finished within my predicted time (below 2:40). The weather was very nice and the water temperature was also perfect for me. The organization was ok but the gift bag was a joke. First time I wear a wetsuit, and I was surprised to feel my feet that high up on the water. The start was chaotic and, in order to avoid being hit and hit others, I swam to the far left of the pack and that cost me some time on the first lap. I thought that the start was going to be in waves, like in other tris that I did....I didn't push hard in the bike to save my legs for the run, and it worked well. I will do it again next year. Next stop: Muskoka HI

2010-06-21 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
This was my 2nd OLY (I did Milton last year).  I really like the bike course in Milton better but like the run course in Guelph instead.

Overall, I am glad that I did not finish last.  I was kinda hoping for 3hr finish, but was more like 3h 23m.  My chain fell off the bike and I had some seat issues, so I am sure I lost of few minutes then.  

Really glad the race was in the morning too, as it got pretty hot during the awards.

So glad to see some fellow BTers.  HelenR gave me a big shout out on the run, which was great!!

I cannot believe that swim start.  That was the craziest shot gun start ever!!!!

2010-06-21 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Right there with you on the shotgun start tabbs. Although I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure we must have seen each other on the course somewhere. I only finished a little ahead of you. 3:09.

2010-06-21 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
I did the Sprint on Saturday and was within my goal time but wasn't overly happy with my run.  I was so hot running that I ended up a couple of minutes slower than I know I could have done with better weather.  When I saw the Try-a-tri turn around I wished that I had signed up for that race instead (I did the TAT last year).  I really liked the bike but I need to work on my swim leg so I don't end up having to spend the entire bike leg passing people.  Overall I was happy with my first Sprint distance tri but I really wish Trisports would reconsider the 1:00pm start.
2010-06-21 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I did a small race report and some personal views on the sprint at my bolg

www.slow-triathlete.blogspot.com
2010-06-22 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Brian - good point in your blog and sorry about your DQ.  When I saw the list of centre line DQ's I checked for my bib number as there was one point where I was dangerously close to crossing the 'imaginary' centre line.  I was going at quite a clip on one of the downhills and a lone rider was riding slowly (breaking even?) in the middle of the lane.  I yelled at him to hold his line but he didn't and I had to move over to remain safe.

While I like this race, I think the biggest issue is that there are over 600 riders on a somewhat tough 20 km course.  Lots of passing is required (I was the 5th swim wave) and not everyone knows how it is done.  I saw many examples of people drafting, riding side by side, passing on the right etc.  It makes it hard to enjoy my favourite leg of a triathlon.
2010-06-22 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Brian - good point in your blog and sorry about your DQ.  When I saw the list of centre line DQ's I checked for my bib number as there was one point where I was dangerously close to crossing the 'imaginary' centre line.  I was going at quite a clip on one of the downhills and a lone rider was riding slowly (breaking even?) in the middle of the lane.  I yelled at him to hold his line but he didn't and I had to move over to remain safe.

While I like this race, I think the biggest issue is that there are over 600 riders on a somewhat tough 20 km course.  Lots of passing is required (I was the 5th swim wave) and not everyone knows how it is done.  I saw many examples of people drafting, riding side by side, passing on the right etc.  It makes it hard to enjoy my favourite leg of a triathlon.
2010-06-22 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2935992

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Yep I am tired from the weekend races. Did the Sprint and Oly Duathlon's, next year I will definitely be in the Tri's.
About the centerline DQ business, I actually came very close to (I think I may have) crossed the centerline. I was on a downhill and approaching one of the few stop signs on the course where Police direct you to go straight through. I was in my Aero Bars until about 100m away when an SUV passed me and subsequently slowed down for the stop sign! I wasn't sure what I was going to do since I was going about 45km/hr and the car had no sign of movement because the cop was trying to signal him to get out of the way. This apparently confused the driver so he pulled over to the right. I was at this point obviously breaking and then swinging to the left to avoid the SUV; I think I crossed the centerline. A race official was driving by at the same moment and looked right at me and my bib # but must have given me a free pass on that one.
Other than that random annoyance, the race was good. I can't stand that Sprint Bike course! Its soooo bumpy! please re-pave those roads!

2010-06-22 8:20 PM

Regular

I completed the Olympic distance Sunday (first Olympic for me!) and my time was right about where I thought it would be.  I had enough energy for the run at the end which I was pleased about.  Could have done without the wind on the bike but it went fine.  The mass swim start was absolutely nuts...hope they change it next year.  Too dangerous.  Very pleased with the experience overall.  Plan to do future Olympics!!  I agree the road has been in dire need of repair for years now! 

Edited by tristar1 2010-06-22 8:22 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Guelph Lake 1 Rss Feed  

of 2