The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 1s
Overall Rank = 323/1058
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 53/311
Pre-race routine:

Alarm at 4am. Bagel and coffee then banana. Collected Geoff in pouring rain and off to Centennial Park. Arrived about 0515. Set up transition in rain. Short wander to check out the pros set ups - interesting to see they have very little on the ground (racing shoes, race belt). Then ... 0655 (40 mins before start) USAT official arrives to tell me my British bike helmet is not sanctioned under USAT rules. This guy clearly had studied all the USAT rule book carefully and was not going to forgive me for the war of 1812. Minor panic until Princeton Sports and Mid-Maryland Tri Club came to my rescue with a replacement helmet. Brits 1 USAT 0 as we say in Blighty.....
Event warmup:

Warmed up enough following encounter with USAT official above. Anything else would have been otiose.
Swim
  • 26m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Happy with performance. Got plenty of contact at the start with my 311 AG chums but after 200 yards it eased off. Couldn't pick up anyone to draft though. Steady through top turns and then had a good run past some earlier starters to the swim finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Caught up with Geoff M in transition. Minor problems with getting swim cap off (came off eventually with a comical 'zoop' but thankfully left my hair and cranium intact). Shoes on - quick drink of water - then up the slope and off.

Tape gel onto bike frame.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 7s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off smoothly along Rte 108. Passed quite a few then got into rhythm. Good climb upto Glenelg and beyond to Ten Oaks roundabout. Passed lots of people and only got passed by a few 'disc-ers' and Cancellera look-alikes. Felt really good around Tridelphia and up the switchbacks on Linthicum. Got to Ten Oaks roundabout again well in control and started to crank it down the hill. Then pop, wobble, pssst. Rear tyre blowout at 30mph. Took a lap time and methodically changed it (first time in anger at roadside with CO2). Got a few shouts of encouragement which was great. Took 8 mins and change. Back on the bike ... and hammered it back to Transition.

Er ... not have a blowout. (Took a look at the tyre at home and it had a 1/2 inch gash in it with embedded thorn. Really lucky I didn't have another puncture).
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Couldn't have done better. Really lucky with having spot right opposite bike in/out. Overall I was 57/1058 in T2 and 2/211 in my AG which isn't bad ...

Nothing.
Run
  • 49m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slowly to check the knee - felt OK. No heavy legs from the bike. Took first hill at 1/2 mile slowly but still passed a number who had slowed to a crawl. Then checked in at each mile to see the pace - which was where I wanted to be. By mile 3 I knew I could break 2:45 if I kept it up so pushed on through the remaining hills and started to crank it up down the final downhill. Felt strong round the rest of the lake and sprinted for the line : left too much in the tank in the end.

Judge the pace better. Take more pain. Latch onto a 7:30-7:45 runner and get him/her to pull me along.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched hamstring which pinged slightly during the sprint at the end. Swapped stories with Jon, Ruth, Ashley, Caroline, Ellie and James. Met up with Geoff and Dede at the Mid Maryland Tri Club tent (must join it as a thank you for the helmet loan !)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Puncture. Run pacing (again).

Event comments:

An excellent race. Really well organised - tried to smile at all the volunteers and thank those after the race. Lots of water on the bike and run course. Event delayed by the weather so organisers not at fault and indeed given the amount of rain that came down overnight it was amazing that we got away with only a 15 min delay. This was my first Oly and because I don't run too often due to knee problems it's a really tough run course (I'm very familiar with the bike course so that doesn't seem too bad). Once again I'm pleased with my time, really pleased with myself for being calm enough to change the tube without too much swearing, pleased with not berating the USAT official, and as ever, pleased that I am healthy enough to participate in this sport when so many are unable through injuries, illness or indolence.

Last updated: 2010-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:39 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/311
Overall: 427/1058
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU sleeveless
Course: Extended anti-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:07 | 25.48 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 81/311
Overall: 458/1058
Wind: Little
Course: Large anticlockwise saucepan. Some hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/311
Overall: 397/1058
Course: Hilly. Hilly. Did I mention the hills ?
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-23 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2010-05-24 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2876956

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Nice job on the race.  If you can keep up with Geoff M on the swim then you are moving big time.
2010-05-24 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
MD
That pesky war of 1812, always gets in the way, doesn't it? :-)

Nice job on the race! Great finishing time!

FYI: from USAT Rulebook....

5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured by any country that engaged the United States of America in a war any time in the 19th century that was primarily over trade restrictions in oversees trading are considered illegal. Helmust manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

Edited by econway 2010-05-24 10:16 AM
2010-05-24 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Nice job

Edited by hip82 2010-05-24 10:12 AM
2010-05-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2877933

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
econway - 2010-05-24 11:09 AM That pesky war of 1812, always gets in the way, doesn't it? :-) Nice job on the race! Great finishing time! FYI: from USAT Rulebook.... 5.9 Helmets. (a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured by any country that engaged the United States of America in a war any time in the 19th century that was primarily over trade restrictions in oversees trading are considered illegal. Helmust manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

LOL.  It always pays to read the small print doesn't it !  I've heard that some want the US to be more protectionist but this seems to be taking it too far .....
2010-05-24 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2879523

User image

Expert
MD
We'll feed our dogs poisoned food and let our kids play with toys painted with toxics from China. No problem. But a helmet from England, no way! Funny how things seem to work out these days.

2010-05-25 1:43 AM

Started off smoothly along Rte 108. Passed quite a few then got into rhythm. Good climb upto Glenelg and beyond to Ten Oaks roundabout. Passed lots of people and only got passed by a few 'disc-ers' and Cancellera look-alikes. Felt really good around Tridelphia and up the switchbacks on Linthicum. Got to Ten Oaks roundabout again well in control and started to crank it down the hill. Then pop, wobble, pssst. Rear tyre blowout at 30mph. Took a lap time and methodically changed it (first time in anger at roadside with CO2). Got a few shouts of encouragement which was great. Took 8 mins and change. Back on the bike ... and hammered it back to Transition. ------------------------------
Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic Dentist
2010-05-25 3:09 AM
in reply to: #2879937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA

Hahaha, this is shaping up to be the best RR thread yet. USAT officials biased against helmets from the mother land, and now spam suggesting you get your teeth fixed, where can it go next?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed