The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 35m 59s
Overall Rank = 234/1585
Age Group = w30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/87
Pre-race routine:

it was pouring when we arrived at the race site, so my pre-race was minimized to just getting my stuff laid out and covered as quickly as possible so i could get my butt to the FeXY tent. i usually spend a lot of time in transition visualizing and pondering the meaning of life. this time though, i just ran for cover.
Event warmup:

absolutely nothing. didn't even swing my arms.
Swim
  • 27m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

it was a rough swim start for me. definitely aggressive. within 4 minutes of the start my goggles filled with water and then i realized i had lost my contact. i would not have been able to start the bike with only one lense. i have VERY bad vision and it would not have been safe at all. i stopped, treaded water, took my goggles off, confirmed that i had, indeed, lost my lense, reached up and found it on my lower lid. miracle of miracles. so, there i am, in the middle of a like with my contact on my finger surrounded by 170 of my closest friends. somehow amidst the jostling of the swim start i managed to tread water, put my contact back in and continue on. by this time, though, i was fairly rattled. had a bit of trouble breathing, got mildly panicked and back stroked for a minute until i regained my composure. i had a goal of placing here, but the negative self talk started in the swim. "there is no way i can place now with a terrible swim. why bother?" fortunately i was able to push through that and plug along. i ended up feeling pretty strong on the second half of the swim and only finished 6 seconds slower than last year even with the contact/panic debacle. i will turn that into a positive thought as i head into eagleman in 3 weeks.

What would you do differently?:

i don't know how i can avoid this water in the goggles thing. i've tried a bunch of different pairs and this pair was GREAT in the pool. who knows. one thing is for sure, i need to make sure i have an easily accessible spare set of contacts in my transition bag. i did pack them for this race, but then i took my bag to the fexy tent so it wouldn't just sit there in the rain. if i had not found my contact on my lid (seriously, how did it NOT get splashed off?!) i would have been SOL for this race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

11 ag rank. this surprises me because i was not in a major hurry. i was already feeling pretty dejected about the swim time and wasn't feeling the race at all. i also realized that my garmin had frozen up when i hit the lap timer at the end of the swim. no more data for me.

try to keep a positive outlook and push through.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 49s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

i was nervous about this bike, not the course, but the conditions. columbia is not the course i would pick to ride wet, but it is what it is. i had already told myself i was treating it as a training ride when i realized the weather conditions. then my swim sucked so i was even less motivated to push it. i was also passed early (before homestead) by two women in my age group. F$%&. (one of them would place 2nd AG and one i would repass in the run). in the end, i felt really strong. i told ryan later that i remembered columbia being really hard. i did not have that feeling at all during this race. i felt super fast on the flats and small uphills, and passed a gazillion people on every uphill. hills definitely seems to be where i (relative to others) excel. i wanted to practice coming out of the saddle a little instead of just grinding away seated. that helped some. my legs never got fatigued. i finished feeling faster and stronger than when i started. no bonking. no misery. who knew? i guess all that bike training is paying off. I am also really happy with the improvement, this is a about an 11 min PR on this course. i also moved from 27th place in AG to 10th on the bike.

i could have pushed the pace harder, but i didn't want to be stupid on a wet course. i took corners SLOW and soft pedaled down hills. in the end, i still think it was the safest thing to have done.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

3rd in ag; felt okay here.

bike didn't rack as smoothly i would have liked. maybe that cost a few seconds...(which could have made me 1st in AG...DOH).
Run
  • 45m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

i had no idea what pace i was running, but i knew that i was passing a lot of guys from the wave in front of us....and they weren't all guys that looked like they were dying. i felt totally in control during this run. HR and breathing felt controlled. i never felt like i was in trouble. felt okay on the hills, as okay as one can feel on the gatorade wall.
about mile 2 i saw a few women in my AG. it's strange, my gut reaction is to just hover behind them for a while...almost like i'm afraid to pass. i assessed my pace and my comfort, felt good, felt like i had enough juice to maintain it the whole way and then just started passing. i was really surprised at how many women 30-34 i passed on this run. i started thinking that maybe i would have a chance to place afterall.
i felt absolutely great on this run. i never had cramps or even those quad tingles i get every time. no one i passed even attempted to run with me. not even for a second. i passed and was gone every time. i was grateful for that. i was not looking forward to getting into a sprint off with 2 miles to go. i really feel like my running is on the precipice of something great. i was so happy with a sub 46 min run....and even more surprising is that i did not struggle for this time. i definitely feel like i can get faster. this was a 4 minute PR over last year. i went from 10th AG to 3rd in this run.

nothing. i'm now wondering, though, if i'm not better off running without a watch. i wonder if i do better when i just listen to my body. i know i would have been happy with an avg pace of 7:30. if i had seen i was doing that, would i have just maintained that? who knows? some experimentation might be in order.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the swim. period. it is totally possible for me to take off 4 minutes from that swim time. that will make a big difference. especially if i can continue the bike and run improvement.

it is also worth mentioning here nutrition. about 30 minutes before the race i ate a hammer bar and took one enduralyte pill. i used my aerobottle on the bike with 2 scoops of EFS. i drank probably half of it. i used efs gel twice on the bike and once on the run. i had poured 3 shots of it into my (hammer) gel flask, but my 3 servings were definitley smaller than that. i had gel left in the flask when i finished. water only on the run course. nutrition felt fabulous. it was a cooler overcast day. sweating was probably at a minimum.

Event comments:

This was over a 15 minute pr on this course for me. i am over the moon about it. the fact that i also got to AG place is even more exciting. it is so gratifying to see this years hard work paying off.

ryan and i also placed 2nd in the married couple division. YAY!!!!! it is totally fitting since i would have never even tried this sport without him.

all in all, it was a successful race due to how it finished. my mental effort was a little all over the place early on, though. I will used this to grow from. i think i could have been 2-3 minutes faster if the swim had gone "as planned", but i guess every race isn't going to go swimmingly ;). in retrospect, i think i might have gotten more out of this experience because the swim didn't go well. i now know that i have a stong enough bike and run to make up for minor debacles in the swim even in a competitive field. in the future if the contact thing happens to me again, I think i will be less likely to get so dejected. my mental "funk" after the swim, I believe, cost me time the whole way throughout the race. because i didn't believe i was contending for anything anymore, i kind of let my "killer instinct" down a little. i wasn't attacking like i would have if i had gotten out of the water in 25 minutes. this is just a lesson that there is always hope when you have a strong bike and run. i'm grateful for having learned that lesson.

Last updated: 2009-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:46 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/87
Overall: 517/1585
Performance: Bad
Suit: long sleeve orca 3.8
Course: 1 loop lake swim. buoys on the left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:49 | 25.48 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/87
Overall: 367/1585
Performance: Good
no data. watch no worky.
Wind: None
Course: rolling 1 loop.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/87
Overall: 180/1585
Performance: Good
no data. garmin not working.
Course: hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2010-05-25 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2880236

User image

Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Wow- congrats on such a good race in less than ideal conditions AND with your swim fiasco (this is exactly why I leave an extra pair of contacts in my transition area though- I'm convinced it will happen to me one day too!) And PRing by 15 minutes in those conditions- amazing!
2010-05-25 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Awesome race...congrats!
2010-05-25 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
That is one of the great tri stories of all time....found your contact on your eyelid DURING the swim and was able to get it back in.....incredible.

Congrats on the AG podium!!!  Gotta feel good heading into Eagleman.

I was volunteering in transition...at the Bike Out/In, so at some point I cheered for you...hope it helped  :-)

Again, congrats!!
2010-05-26 8:21 AM

Pro
yep,
Nice job out there even with all the problems.
2010-05-26 7:11 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Wow - what a race! Excellent work

2010-05-27 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Nice race Lisa.

I've been told a few times that I should race without a watch and just go with what my body gives me.
2010-05-27 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
3rd in your age group is really impressive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed