United States
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 57s
Overall Rank = 275/835
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/117
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Friday to check in and get to the villa. Dropped off the bike, drove the bike course to refresh my memory and then had a GREAT night's sleep.
Event warmup:

Not much, really. Since it is a point to point, and so hilly, I just got into the water to make certain I was ready for it. Fortunately the water had warmed up quite a bit in the past week, from 53 to 63. AND the air temp was warmer than the water this year. I knew it was going to be a good race. I just had a feeling.

Swim started 20 minutes late due to the fog.
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 604 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I rocked this swim. I knocked off almost 2 minutes from last year. Got into a groove and only had one minor sighting issue right off the beach. After that, never had a problem. Sighting was awesome. Turnover was awesome. I was just FLYING!. Loved it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I was actually faster on this one compared to last year too. By almost a minute. And it felt so ungodly slow. Probably because I forgot to loosen my shoes (DOH) but other than that, it went very very well.

Remember to prepare my shoes. Probably would have gotten them on and knocked off another 15-20 seconds.
Bike
  • 57m 23s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Compared to last year I nailed it. Almost 3 mph faster than last year. My biking has really improved since last year. I even rocked the big hill better than last year. 1/2 way up the hill I realized I was mashing so I started concentrating on circle pedaling. Immediately I increased my speed by over 1mph.

This also happened to be at the same time that as I was passing a guy, he said "Almost there. Just around the corner and then it is downhill the rest of the way." I immediately called him a lying sack of s**t while laughing and told everyone around to ignore him. All in good fun.

Popped over 40 on two of the last downhills. What a rush!

Maybe push it just a little bit harder on the down hills. I probably relaxed a bit too much saving for the uphills. Also, I drank too much water on the ride. I was burping a bit coming into T2 and I paid for it in the run. More on that later.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Since here a pretty good size hill coming into T2, I didn't have a chance to slip my feet out of the shoes coming into T2. So I had to do it after I racked the bike. Slowed me down, but I was still faster than last year by 8 seconds. Slipped on some socks and then the shoes, grabbed the visor and race belt and off I went.
Run
  • 40m 33s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

First 1-1.5 miles I had a side stitch, lower right side. So I kept the pace fairly slow and really tried to focus on running upright and breathing in deeply. Makes it hard when you are going up hill. Finally got the stitch out but by that time the damage had been done. I picked up the pace but the hills were killing me. Still, I finished relatively strong.

Not drink too much on the bike. Other than that, continue to push through pain on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found Mark and chatted with him for a bit (he finished in 1:27, damn he is smoking fast). Then Beth, Mum and Dan came in (missed me again but oh well). Waited around, got my bike and then my gear and we were gone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramp and little to no training on hills.

Event comments:

This is such a good race and well run. It is particularly well run considering it is a point to point. Takes lots of logistical coordination and they do it well. My only complaint is how they do the results. They do not give enough info, particularly how you did within each leg. Sure I could probably cut and paste the info into Excel and figure it out but I'm too lazy. I will be back again next year.

Last updated: 2010-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 604 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/117
Overall: 0/835
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Lake swim in Apple Canyon Lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:23 | 16.8 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Point to point ride from Apple Canyon Lake to Galena Territories Resort.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:33 | 04.3 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Big loop within the Galena Territory that started with a very, VERY big hill right off the bat (about 180 feet elevation gain).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-27 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Galena

2010-05-27 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2886131

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Galena
So weird. Everyone I have talked to had a side stich on the run. The run was flat out awful. Hardest run of my life. They found a way to make it even harder this year!

I agree, its a great race and awesome venue. Its just a hard hard course.
2010-05-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2886205

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Galena

running2far - 2010-05-27 12:22 PM So weird. Everyone I have talked to had a side stich on the run. The run was flat out awful. Hardest run of my life. They found a way to make it even harder this year! I agree, its a great race and awesome venue. Its just a hard hard course.

Yes.  The run was definitely harder than last year.  That first hill was just down right killer.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galena Rss Feed