Tri and Du It Multisport
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 2s
Overall Rank = 32/400
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/37
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 AM! Early bird gets the worm. Ate a banana, bowl of oatmeal and drank a cup of black coffee. Transition opened at 5 AM and I live about 70 minutes away. Made it to Transition at 5:10 AM. No port-a-potty lines; no waiting on line to get in Transition; no waiting on line to get a chip. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned and implemented in this sport is: Get there early. It calms the nerves, lets you set up without any feeling of being rushed, it's just a no-brainer if you want to have a good race.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention: the X-Terra Northeast Champ taught me a trick - to put my race belt and number on, roll up the number, and put my wetsuit on. After the swim you just unroll it and you save valuable Transition Time.
Event warmup:

I knew the water was going to be cold so I got in early, swam a few 200m sprint laps, and then I just floated on my back and soaked in the ambiance that is 'Race Morning'. I watched other atheletes: some playing, some tense and all business, others looked nervous and downright scared. I just floated and relaxed. :)
Swim
  • 17m 12s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went to the second row left, right in line with the buoy. Last year I went out guns a blazing and died within 200 meters. I wasn't making that mistake again this year, but I wanted to be confident and go out at a hard tempo and hold it. And I did that. I even drafted for a about 5 minutes until my draft slowed too much and I had to pass him. I was really hoping for a 15 minute swim as I swam hard and steady, sighted well, and felt good the whole way, but it wasn't meant to be.

I stumbled over three rocks coming out of the water. I'm sure that slowed me down a little. And little did I know I'd put about five or six little slices into my left foot. Darn oysters! ;)
What would you do differently?:

Last weekend I raced (err.. partly walked) the Harryman Half Ironman. I had a great 1.2 mile swim, and I've been consistently hitting the pool 2 to 3 X per week for about two years consecutively. Unfortunately, in 200,000 meters+ of swimming, I haven't gotten much faster in open water. Its clear to me that is not due to a lack of effort or consistent hard work, that something in my stroke must be flawed and I need the assistance of a swim coach.

I also could have kicked more. For a lot of OPWS I just kind of drag my legs because I want to save them for the Bike and Run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

17th fastest Transition OA, 1st in my AG. This would be HUGE later on. In a Sprint Race especially, Transition is just as critical as the Swim, Bike and Run ... or even more crucial in my case today. More later...

Go even faster?
Bike
  • 36m
  • 13 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good Bike. My legs felt stiff and fatigued for the first four or five miles. Only one person passed me on the first loop; and at the end of the first loop 3 of the leaders passed me as they were finishing up. I pushed as hard as I could on the Bike. The beauty of a Sprint is that you can PUSH with little fear of blowing up. Or at least I could as I have a tremendous base right now due to Ironman training. And also, if I blew up it was no harm/no foul as this was a 'C Race'.

There was a crash toward the end of my 2nd loop and I almost hit an athelete who was dazed walking back and forth across the course! Thank God I did not hit him.

My 'A Race' this year is Ironman Lake Placid. I tapered for Harryman last week, and I certainly was not going to taper for a Sprint. Had I been tapered I probably could have trimmed off another 30 or 60 seconds on the bike. But not a big deal. I was pleased as I crushed last years time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

More important then my Swim and Bike, it turns out my T2 was to be the "make or break" part of my Race today (not including the Run). I had my feet out of the shoes, used all of my momentum to bolt into transition; passed lots of people. Helmet off, shoes on lickity split (I practice in my garage) no socks!!! it's a Sprint!! and I had the 8th OA fastest Transition, 1st in my division.

This is about as fast as I can move!
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Watching the Olympics this year, I actually watched and listened to all the athelete interviews. One commonality admitted by many of the Olympians, that struck me, was that they each had one or a few rivals who really pushed them to 'up their game' and go beyond what they thought capable. It was these rivalvries (in many cases friendly; in some, not-so- much!) that were the extra needed ingredient that seemed to motivate these atheletes to really push themselves to the fullest.

I threw my shoes on in T2, hauled ass down the bike lane and toward the transition mat and from behind me I heard, "Bobby, I'm right behind you!" I was like OH SH_T!!! It was my training partner and buddy Rick, who also happened to be in my Age Group!! Rick had thrown down a sub 5 at the Mighty Montauk HIM (which that Half has kicked my butt twice) and he had a 10:59 Ironman Arizona time under his belt. I knew I was in trouble.

Normally I wait a few minutes to get my legs under me. Today that strategy was going out the window. I PUSHED hard and ran flat-out scared right from the get-go. It was five minutes into the Run and I was already at the extreme redline. I couldn't let Rick beat me and live with myself unless I knew I gave it my all.

Last year this run did a number on me because I was not prepared for it. I wasn't ready for the mud, rocks, roots, twist and turns that are par for the course with an off-road run. This year I knew what I was facing and I hit it head on. The entire run I could feel two runners breathing down my neck. I was focused on the lanscape before me, watching carefully where another runner in front of me planted his feet and how he navigated the undulating terrain. Again, I knew it was only a 3.2 mile run and I just kept the pedal down the whole time.

A little after mile 2 I started to really feel pain. Like I'm going to pass out and throw-up pain. But I was passing a few people and the trail ended and opened up to a paved road!! My forte! I knew we only had a 1/2 mile left. I wanted to look back and see where Rick was, but I knew from all the Ironman's that I'd seen on T.V. -- when you look back, you get passed.

I could here and feel two guys behind me, there were two guys in front of me, and we could all here the bull horn of the finish line announcer. One of the Females from a relay went blazing past us all at around a 6:30 pace. It was time to use some brains and it was time to HTFU. I told myself I just needed to deal with this exruciating pain for another 3 or 4 minutes and promised myself it would be worth it. I tucked right in behind her. Together we blew past the two fading guys.

Finally, I could see the Finish Line and just let out my final KICK. I passed the girl and nobody passed me. 3rd Place in the Male 35-39 AG was mine by a mere :30 seconds.

My friend Rick's combined Swim/Bike and Run times were acutally faster than mine. But my combined transition times were faster. At the end of the day, it was my Transition that got me my AG Award. My legs coming through for me on the Run also helped. :)
Post race
Warm down:

I congratulated all my Sunrise Tri teamates, Rick especially. I genuinely thanked him for letting me know he was right behind me in transition. If hge wasn't right on my heels, I probably would not have ended up on the podium today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What didn't limit my ability to perform was nutrition. This was my 2nd AG Award at a Sprint Race this year. The beauty of a Sprint is that nutrition plays a very small role compared to an Olympic and a HIM. I have not yet been able to figure out what nutrition works best for me at the 70.3 distance. I've over and under-done it. Hopefully this Sunday at Rev3 I will get it right. If I do, I know that due to my consistent training, experience and heart, I have a chance of hitting the Podium at a 70.3 event.

Event comments:

I LOVE THIS RACE. The Webb Institute is a georgeous campus. The post-race breakfast of eggs, sausage and hashbrowns can't be beat. All the racers and volunteers are awesome. It's hosted by my Tri Team: Sunrise Tri. And the fact that I stood on an actual Podium for the first time in my Life at this race makes it that much sweeter. I'll stop gushing now. :)

Last updated: 2010-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:12 | 805 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/37
Overall: 100/400
Performance: Average
Suit: Quintana Roo Hydrofull
Course: Triangular course in the beautiful Long Island Sound
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:00 | 13 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 40/400
Wind:
Course: 2 Loop through Glen Cove. Some rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:12 | 03.2 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 36/400
Course: Over the river and through the woods kind of X-terra run. Lots of mud, roots, little wooden bridges, hills, barking dogs, large rocks -- GOOD TIMES!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-02 1:53 PM

User image

Subject: Ironclad Triathlon

2010-06-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2897026

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ironclad Triathlon
Wow, podium!! Congrats Bobby, really well earned and deserved.
2010-06-02 7:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-03 8:02 AM

Champion
MA
Great job on pushing hard through run and finishing strong.

Congrats on podium finish!!
2010-06-03 8:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nice job on the podium Bobby. Enjoy Rev 3 this weekend Lots a nice big climbs up our area of the world for you to prepare for Placid!

2010-06-03 9:13 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice Podium!  Great race report!

2010-06-03 6:07 PM

Upon the Rock
Awesome race report.  I could feel myself getting pumped as I was reading.  I was silently cheering you on to not get passed by your friend lol.

Congrats on the podium spot as well.

Thanks for sharing.
2010-06-03 7:35 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Welcome to the Major League.
Now if we can just need to fix that run...
2010-06-04 2:33 PM

Veteran
Great race and great race report!  I was holding my breath during your run description.   Hope you rock Rev3.
2010-06-04 4:42 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Great race! Keep on cookin' out there -- should be a great time for you this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironclad Triathlon Rss Feed