United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 21s
Overall Rank = 15/347
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/35
Pre-race routine:

Laid out shoes, helmet, glasses, goggles, etc... on the floor next to my transition and gum bag. Double checked that I had everything and packed it up. Filled the bike tires up, packed the car with everything. Left @0600 and arrived @0625 to get set up and packet picked up.
Event warmup:

Went out for a 10 min easy spin on the bike out to Irondale and back.

When I got back, I found that some lady had stolen my spot by moving my wetsuit, which was over the rail where my bike had been, and moved my shoes/towel/race # setup that was on the ground under where my bike would have been. I was a little pissed cause it was a really nice bike and I was sure the person knew what was up who move my stuff... I squeezed in on the same rack and just gave the chick a hard-time when she came to put on her wetsuit (turned out it was Jen Wilcox the overall female winner who gancked it:-0, darn elites;-P)

Ran for ~10 minutes and just did a quick swim to the first buoy and back.
Swim
  • 12m 16s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp was great. A good number of people went with no wetsuits. I considered that for a moment and dismissed it for craziness:-) Swim went well. I caught a really good swimmers draft about a 1/3 of the way through, followed around the buoys and most of the stretch in. When I got out of the water and into transition I was a bit surprised cause there was no one around! Decent swim for the level of swim fitness I currently have.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

My heart was racing getting out of the water so I didn't really push to my transition spot that hard, and I just went at a comfortable pace getting my suit off and helmet/glasses on. I think I still had a decent time though.
Bike
  • 38m 42s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Huh. I really need to get my act together on the bike! I can't stand getting passed:-)

I pushed really hard today and my time is just a reflection of my current ability on the bike. Much better than last-year at this time (my first summer of biking) but still tons of room for improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Tune the engine, and work, work, work! I'm going to get re-fit on my glorious road bike turned TT bike (professionally vs. myself in the mirror) early next week, and will probably be getting a power meter next week too. Hopefully I will be able to use the power meter as better motivation to push to my potential on more of the training rides and recreational TT's I'm doing this summer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Felt like I smoked t2 and I was pretty satisfied. Even got held back a bit as I got kinda stuck behind someone getting off the bike.
Run
  • 19m 5s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I got 1st in my age by ~50 seconds, but... I was really hoping to be <6/mile and I thought I had a chance given some of my training bricks this year. I was really sucking wind that first mile though and finally felt comfortable for mile 2 which was 5'52". On the third mile I felt like I was still pushing, but couldn't see anyone that would be my age in front and just didn't have the guts to crank out that last mile any faster on a "training" event. Each year I get a little more soft:-)
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of deep aero wheels/rear disc, and possibly bike position. But, I have a long ways to go to improve the engine still, so nothing really to blame other than my bike ability...

Event comments:

I was not expecting much from the race given it was being used as more of a training/practice opportunity. It was really fun and fairly well run. I will definitely do this race again next year if it works out with my schedule.

Last updated: 2010-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:16 | 880 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/35
Overall: 18/347
Performance:
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:42 | 14 miles | 21.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/35
Overall: 78/347
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Throughout New Brighton and Arden Hills. Past MV High, Lake Johanna, etc...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:05 | 03 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 8/347
Performance: Good
Course: Paths around the pavilions at Long Lake park. Turned around past the pier finished at the beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: New Brighton Triathlon

2010-06-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2903784

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: New Brighton Triathlon

Nice job on the AG win!  Nice meeting you too.

2010-06-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2904570

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New Brighton Triathlon

Nice work!  Aren't you glad you signed up at the last minute?  Yeah, your bike was pretty pathetic   I am sure you'll be unstoppable if you can match the fast guys on the bike with that running speed!  I should have taken the chance it was you during awards and said hi.  Next time.

Did you ask Jenny why she did that?  It's so weird!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-06-07 2:49 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Brighton Triathlon Rss Feed