General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Supersprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Supersprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Total Time = 1h 08m 43s
Overall Rank = 12/109
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:00 (an hour earlier than alarm was set for, being my first race in 10 years I was a little anxious) Took hot shower, and made french toast for wife and I. I already had everything lined out the night before so all I had to do was load everything in the truck. We were on the road by 4:15. My wife said that 3:00 a.m. was a record for her morning alarm. For my next race we would be getting a hotel room.

I set up my transition area right next to my buddy from Pauls Valley. That was good to calm the jitters a bit. The bike rack was too short to rack it the way I wanted to. Instead of racking it by the brake levers, I just balanced the back of the seat on the bar. I figured it would be fine as long as no one hit it. As my friend and I were entering the pool he said that the wind had picked up and was knocking bikes down in the transition area. I was sure one of them had to be mine. This was the second time of the day I had to say to myself "Take what the day gives you" (I have to get the engrained in my head for my IM)

Event warmup:

I did a few barefoot strides on the grass. I also took some time to stretch out my piriformis and IT band. At 6:45 I had a Payday candybar, then went to the prerace meeting. When the meeting was over the pool opened for warm up. I jumped in the pool and did an easy 400 meter swim. The pool was perfect and seemed much faster than my training pool. At 7:20 I spotted my wife. She had my Mountain Dew waiting. I downed that and went to sit in the swim seeding area.
Swim
  • 08m 57s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was seeded 37th. After seeing some of the people around me I was hoping I had my seeding right. I didn't want to be "that guy" everyone had to pass. My first 100 was 1:27. I stopped at the wall to look behind me. The next swimmer didn't seem to be gaining on me so I felt better. The next two 100's were 1:30-1:35. I wasn't winded at all and was feeling great about the swim so far. Then about 375m I caught up with the swimmer in front of me. I went into the passing lane and was going to pass slowly so I wouldn't wind myself. Mistake. When we got to the wall I was a good 1/2 body length ahead. I looked up to see the traffic it was 3 swimmers deep and we were going into the last lane which was a little narrower. The swimmers in front of me we swimming side by side making passing impossible. "Take what the day gives you" I decided to get a good draft, but the were swimming pretty slow. I ended up breast stroking many times during the last 100. I figured that if I couldn't gain anytime, I could pump some blood back into my legs for the long transition run. I feel like I could have be :30-:45 faster
What would you do differently?:

Most of the short course pools in OK are in yds. The one in my hometown is in meters. The OCCC pool is in meters. I think many of the people are unaware of the difference and give their estimated 500 time in yards. I think next year I will convert my meter time to yardage.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

When I got to my rack, I noticed my bike was on the other side now. I said "What the H, oh well, take what the day gives you" I went to put on helmet and sunglasses, but they were on the otherside of the rack on the ground. Bah! I'm sure it cost me a whole 10 seconds to run around the rack to get my stuff, then run back around to get my bike.

I decided at the last minute to do a flying mount. Not sure why, but I'm glad it was successful. It could have been embarrassing otherwise. I stood up on my shoes and got up to speed before slipping them on.

Rack my bike more securely.
Bike
  • 34m 41s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 21.97 mile/hr
Comments:

First order of business, pass the guy in front of me. He had about 200 yards on me. After about three miles he had about 200 yards on me. Fortunately, he was passing a few people too. As long as we were passing people I'd just pace off of him a bit. I was thinking that at this effort level, I wasn't going to have any legs left for the run. Then I thought "So what, your run sucks anyways right now. What's the point of saving them" So I decided I was going to catch the yellow Kestrel. I wasn't able to catch him until just right before the half way mark. I had to make it a fast pass because we were starting our second loop and the course was getting crowded with people starting their first loop. With so many riders on the course now, I no longer had anyone to focus on catching. Then I saw a few nice tri-bikes in front of my and had to pass them. I put it in another gear and really hammered the next 1-2 miles. I was passed by one person on the bike and that was going around a corner at the bottom of a downhill about 1 mile from the finish. I recognized him as the swimmer who started directly behind me, and he was on a Cervelo with Zipps. Damn! I stayed a few bike lengths back from him until T2.

The course was advertised as 14 miles. My time was about 34:00 coming into the parking area. A little quick math told me that was close to 24 mph. I knew then the course had to be a little short. I wasn't averaging 24 mph with the wind that day ( I read that during the race the winds were 20 mph, with gusts up to 30 mph).
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Flying dismount. Felt great. I thought my transition was pretty fast but looking at some of the other times I gotta work on this.

Yankz!
Run
  • 23m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My heart rate jumped up immediately. I tried to slow down but HR remained high. My AT is around 150. My exercise induced asthma kicks in about 161. I was wheezing good so I knew I was working hard. Then I was passed by two runners. One of them was the one who passed me on the bike,the other was in my age group. I tried to hang on and keep them within striking distance. That lasted about 1/2 mile and I was just getting more anaerobic. My arms and hands started to tingle. I backed of just a bit and let them go. I started getting side stitches just before the turn around. At this point I was hurting pretty bad. My wife was about 20 yards from the turn around taking pictures. I didn't need any water but decided to get a drink to have a reason to walk a bit. I walked about 15 yds, exchanged a few words with my wife and began running again. That little rest is all I needed. I think my run pace picked up about a minute per mile. If my splits are right, the last half of the run was around 6:55/mile.

The run has historically been my best leg. It was the slowest 5K I have ever run. My olympic distance triathlon 10K pace used to be faster than that. I got a lot of work to do on my run, or maybe it's just part of getting old.

Not be injured and be able to train properly.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to cheer on my PV friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries. 10 year layoff and currently nursing piriformis, hip, and IT band.

Event comments:

I learned a few things that I need to know for Sept. Good experience.

OFFICIAL RESULTS
http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_plain_text.php?race_id=1...

Last updated: 2010-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:57 | 500 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 12/109
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: Snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:41 | 12.7 miles | 21.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 14/109
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 34/109
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: Oklahoma City Supersprint Triathlon

2010-06-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2919821

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Supersprint Triathlon
I think I need to try the PayDay and Mountain Dew nutrition plan if it will make me that fast!

Great job Ray!
2010-06-14 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Nice race, even if you are from Paul's Valley.

I went to McGuinness in OKC and graduated in '90.  Ran against PV MANY a year in Track and Field.  Glad to see more OK folks representing on BT.  Contrats again on the race. 

2010-06-14 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice race!  You should be happy with the results after not racing in so long!  I did a map of the course and came out to 12.5 miles or so, so the bike was a little short, but it was still tough into the that Oklahoma wind!  Great job though - it was a great little course that has potential if they can sort out the pavement issues.  Perhaps we will meet at another race in OK or maybe even in TX (its not much further from PV than OKC...)

-Andy

BTW, we have tread some of the same ground over the years - Union '86 and OSU '93...

Edited by ashort33 2010-06-14 11:15 AM
2010-06-14 12:26 PM

User image

NH
What a slacker, only 22 on the bike with that wind!  Looks like a pretty great race, and 44 seconds seems like a fine T2.  I think your running will come back, you're not THAT old yet.  Great effort Ray.
2010-06-14 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
After a 10 year layoff, I'd say you absolutely SMOKED IT!  Outstanding race... Go Clydesdales!

2010-06-14 8:02 PM

User image

Elite

Some awesome splits during the swim. Unless the bike course was crazy short, your speed out there was real fast. My guess is your run did suffer as a result. Awesome results and welcome back.

2010-06-15 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Great race!

Killed on the swim - check
Killed on the bike - check (22mph in that wind!?! - you da man!)
Killed on the run - check

For not having raced in 10 years your really spanked this one. Can't wait to follow your future races when you're "back up to form" from where you used to be.

Next OKC tri I'm at I'll look for a very tall bald guy and say hello  Smile
2010-06-17 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Excellent job!!  I think you picked up right where you left off 10 yrs ago.
Smokin Bike!!! 
Congrats on taking 2nd in your Age Group!!!!!!

Edited by RunRene 2010-06-17 12:59 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Supersprint Triathlon Rss Feed