General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 49m 5s
Overall Rank = 196/
Age Group = 30-35 F
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Tried to figure out the complicated two transition set up. It was all nerve-wracking but thankfully my fellow Greyhounds plus Trish, Dave, and Trixie were there to settle me down.
Event warmup:

Did a little bit of swimming, more to pee than to warm up but the end result was the same. :) Stood around and worried more.
Swim
  • 27m 38s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh boy. This was by far my worst swim start. I took off and jumped in to swim way early. Everyone around me was still walking and keeping up with me. Ugh. I tried to swim out ahead but the walkers and dolphin divers were all over the place. My HR shot up and I almost panicked. The water was all cloudy muddy which was making things worse. It was just crap. I would swim, then stand up to see, then swim, then breast stroke, repeat repeat. AWFUL. Finally after 5-10 min I could swim normally and pulled out of the pack. The rest of the swim was fine but the start was just a disaster. Then at the exit I took my suit off in the water for the first time and hadn't practiced at all... ended up just sitting down so I wouldn't tip over or cramp up. Dave got a good laugh at me and I had to laugh myself... what an idiot! Oh well. I still did all right.
What would you do differently?:

Run longer then just get my swim on! I also need more practice getting in and out of my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

This was all right, but only because the time I spent taking off my wetsuit is actually included in my swim time. :) Such a mess! But with that taken care of, I really just ran in and grabbed my stuff and ran back out with my bike (and remembered to stuff my gear back in my bag so they could deliver it to the finish). Oh.. and I realized that I'd worn my dry shirt down to the beach and had to stuff it in my bag with my wetsuit which meant I wouldn't have anything dry at the end of the race. I wasted a few seconds regretting this mistake and then just got over it and carried on.

Practice with my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 10s
  • 23 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to take it at an easy race pace, if there is such a thing. I just cruised a long, pushing myself but also trying to keep things real so I wouldn't die later on. I got passed by just about everyone and that turned into a positive as everyone was so friendly and cheered me on. Go Hounds! On the 2nd lap I saw Tom and Oren and that was great! I was worried that since it was threatening to rain they'd stay home. It was FABULOUS to see them there. That definitely gave me a boost for the rest of the race. On the 4th lap I decided I just HAD to pee (this after peeing before AND during the swim). I was going to die bending over in aero though so porta john it was. What's a girl to do? The rest of the bike was rather uneventful. I totally felt like one of the last bikers on the course, and turns out I was second to last in my relatively large AG. I was way past hearing all the disc wheels go by with their whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh though... it was just me and the other roadies and hybrids! ;) Thank God it was a flat course- I mean pancake flat. The easiest bike course I've ever done.

T.I.T.S.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Just ran in, swapped shoes, grabbed hat & bib and ran out. 3D has no time for this or my run. :(

Run faster? meh.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.6 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I guess I could figure out my split if I want to, but I'm not sure if I care that much. It was a good, steady run and I was in a very positive state of mind. The last 500 yards were tough but otherwise I felt very good about wrapping up my first tri in two years. Yay. Awesome seeing everyone out on the course, including my guys as I came in to start the second lap and again at the finish!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to stuff food in my face as fast as possible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sketchy training.

Event comments:

Awesome place for a race, great showing from our BT/Greyhound community, wonderful setting for spectators. More pizza please! :)

Last updated: 2010-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:38 | 1500 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 52/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: One Lap, Triangle, SHALLOW!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:02
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:10 | 23 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/
Wind: Some
Course: 4 laps around Belle Isle, flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.6 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-06-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2921539

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice job!!!  About what we expected with that bike given your limited bike time so far.  You finished happy, that is good
2010-06-14 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Um, wow, an amazing swim with all that hooplah!!  You kicked woman!!  So glad to have you back racing and your son is the coolest.

2010-06-17 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice job Jaclyn! Good job pulling it together during the swim and keeping a really good perspective for the rest of the race. It's great that you are out racing again. I can't wait to see how your HIM goes!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed