United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 55m 10s
Overall Rank = 188/245
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Could not eat breakfast - too many nerves! Decided it was better to not eat than to throw up.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 40h 12m
  • 1640 yards
  • 2h 27m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at BOP, difficult to get into rhythm at first because there weren't any "openings" as we waded into the water. Breathing was calm, smooth and steady. Navigation was good until after I rounded last buoy as sun was rising and the glare off the water eliminated any visibility of the shoreline. I started drifting to the outside (right) and had to work my way back over to finish on the left side of the last buoy. For the little open water experience I had I felt pretty good about the swim overall.
What would you do differently?:

Pick up the pace and try to site better rounding the last buoy.
Transition 1
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

No wetsuits to contend with at this race. Time was a little slow, but it was quite a distance from the swim to T1 and up a steep hill. My time was 6th in my AG. I made sure to eat my banana at this point since I hadn't had any breakfast and was finally starting to feel my appetite after the swim.

Hustle faster up the hill to T1 and no socks next time ought to shave some time off.
Bike
  • 1h 50m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad to have had the chance to train on the actual race course. Very tough hills, but stayed on my bike the entire time - there were many walkers. Several people with flats. Very happy with my bike and the road tires.

Train harder on the bike for next year and perhaps upgrade to a road bike to shave off some time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Overall pretty happy with T2. Did not clip shoes to pedals - first tri and didn't practice this. Traffic prevented me from getting in and out of the transition area faster.

Need to practice transitions more so I don't have to think - just do.
Run
  • 1h 15m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Really tried to watch my hydration and tried to stay cool during the run. Drank 1/2cup HEED at all 6 aid stations and took ice sponges to stay cool.

Pick up the pace more on the downhills, walk less. I think I could have pushed myself harder on the run, but it was very hot and humid. The last mile I got the chills a little bit, but they went away.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, light stretching, WATER.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to eat pre-race breakfast kind of freaked me out. I wasn't sure I was going to have enough energy to sustain me through the entire race, so I took it easy on the run. Probably would have been fine to push harder. Heat was a minor factor.

Event comments:

There could have been a few more lifeguards in the water - I didn't think there were enough, especially toward the end of the swim. Volunteers were AWESOME and cheerful and friendly and really, really great people. SO thankful to have HEED on the run course. Plus there was one extra guy on the run course who was handing out ice cubes - amazing how cool you can stay with an ice cube in each hand. That was really great. Could have been a few more volunteers in the massage tent - was not able to get one. Maybe some banners or other signage at the finish so you know where to go - I was kind of out of it and had a hard time finding the water stations, food (only bananas and oranges, but thats OK) and where to get my results and finishers t-shirt. I had to look up my time online (thank you for doing that!), because I forgot to look at the finish. Overall a fantastic first race experience - I will definitely be there next year!

Last updated: 2010-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
40:12:00 | 1640 yards | 2h 27m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 215/245
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Tri suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:50:18 | 24.85 miles | 13.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 190/245
Wind: None
Course: Very technical with lots of hills, including two very steep (but relatively short) climbs. Hot and humid, but a nice bit of shade on most of the lower part of the loop. Quite a bit of debris on the road from monkeypod trees, but it looked like the street sweeper may have come through a couple of days prior to the race because it was better than on training runs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:15:43 | 06.21 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 163/245
Course: Very hilly, with climbs right out of transition. Very hot and humid with very little shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-15 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: South Maui Triathlon at Wailea

2010-06-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2924042

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: South Maui Triathlon at Wailea
Reading about your first tri is making me that much more excited for mine & it's not until August! Congratulations on becoming a TRIATHLETE!!!
2010-06-16 1:15 PM

User image

Upon the Rock
Is this the one that starts out in front of the Grand?

I have vacationed there and I hope to do this event next year as an excuse to come back.

Congrats on your first tri and great job doing an Olympic distance.   I have looked at the course map and I thought that bike course looked quite hilly.  Good for you staying in the saddle and powering through the hills.

Jack
2010-06-16 1:15 PM

User image

Upon the Rock
Is this the one that starts out in front of the Grand?

I have vacationed there and I hope to do this event next year as an excuse to come back.

Congrats on your first tri and great job doing an Olympic distance.   I have looked at the course map and I thought that bike course looked quite hilly.  Good for you staying in the saddle and powering through the hills.

Jack
2010-06-16 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Good for you! I like your excitement but it makes me a little jealous because I have to wait until the end of July.
2010-06-16 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I have to admire you for doing this as a first tri. Especially with training there and knowing what you were getting yourself into. Congrats.

2010-06-16 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Congrats on your first race - you did GREAT
2010-06-17 1:31 AM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks!!  I have to admit, I committed myself to it before I rode or ran the course.  If I had done that first I might not have signed up, thinking it would be too hard.  But I am SO GLAD I DID IT!  It starts at the Wailea Marriott, which is a couple doors down from the Grand.  The organizers did a great job - I was really impressed!

I just wish there were more tri's on Maui - maybe this will start a trend?  I'm seriously thinking 70.3 for 2011.  Would love to do that here - Maui would be a great venue.

2010-12-12 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Great job!  It was a great event and pretty well run. You should be very proud of your day.  Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Maui Triathlon at Wailea Rss Feed