General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Setup, Inc.
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 54s
Overall Rank = 55/176
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 9/22
Pre-race routine:

Pete and I met BTers Carol, Ginger, and John at packet pick-up, then we all went out to eat at Flaming Amy's Bowl. Good time!

Carol, Me, and Ginger
Photobucket

Pete, Me, Carol, and John
Photobucket

Then Pete and I headed to the hotel only to find crime scene tape being put up at the front entrance! I was worried someone had been hurt or killed, but it turned out that they had just been robbed! We had to wait 1.5 hours for the police to do the report before we checked in. Wasn't sure I wanted to stay there at this point, but there was nowhere else to stay with the race in town; NO vacancy!

For breakfast, I ate a banana with peanut butter and coffee. Then we went to the race site to set up our two separate transition areas.
Event warmup:

Swam out, rounded a buoy and came back.
Swim
  • 21m 29s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race was swim, run, bike, run, swim, (4 transitions!) so I'll have to double up the comments.

Swim 1, 410 yards (9:21) - Had trouble getting out through breakers, but once out there I got into a groove. Sighting was ok, but it was hard to see the buoys because of waves. Getting back into shore was challenging, but I did the best I could. Swim 1 time includes T1 time.

Swim 2, 410 yards (12:08), last segment - Had even MORE trouble getting out to buoy since this was the final segment and I was already exhausted from the rest of the race, but once there, found that groove again. My goggles fogged up and I could not get a sight on the third buoy. I thought I was being pulled left towards shore and was afraid I would end up left of the buoy, so I kept trying to sight it which slowed me down. Turned out I was right on course but just couldnt' see it because of the waves. Coming in to shore I was trying to swim as long as possible, but I got pummeled by a big wave that knocked me and I couldn't get swimming again. So I stood up to come in and got sucked backwards. I had a much harder fight getting out of the water that second trip because I stopped swimming to soon. Swim 2 time includes T4 time.

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

This was my first beach start ocean swim, so I'm ok with what I did. I mostly need practice going out and coming back in.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This race had four transitions which were not chip timed. So chip times are included in the segments.

T1: Ocean to run - Pulled off goggles and cap while running to my spot on beach. Put on sunglasses, grabbed shoes and ran up to the boardwalk where I stepped in the baby pool to rinse feet then shoved wet feet into shoes and ran. I had worn my run number on the swim so I just had to pull it out of shorts.

T2: Run to bike - Kicked shoes off while putting on helmet. Put cycles shoes on and ran with bike. Had trouble clipping in at the bike mount.

Here's my little stick in the sand transition spot!

Photobucket

Me, Ginger, and Carol
Photobucket

Fayetteville Area Tri-Warriors! Jason, Me, and Pete
Photobucket

Just..... focus I guess. Not sure why I had trouble clipping in.
Bike
  • 36m 3s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing really to say about the bike; just did the best I could! This was out and back twice on a flat fast course.

A lot of people opted to use cages so that they would not have to change shoes twice. I tried this on Friday night before the race and made it one mile before turning around to go put my clips back on (hated it!). I'm SO glad everyone advised me NOT to change my pedals.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T3: Bike to run - Racked bike by brakes, removed cycle shoes, put on run shoes and ran.

T4: Run to swim - I pulled off my shoes as soon as I crossed the chip mat on the beach so that I could run barefoot through the sand to my spot. Dropped my shoes, grabbed my cap and goggles and headed for the swim start farther up the beach. By now I was overheated and out of breath from the run, so I shuffled rather than ran to swim start to make sure my breathing was under control before jumping back into the ocean. But I was looking forward to the COOL water!

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 25s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Run 1 (13:13) - This was slower than I'm capable of for such short distance. Was already getting hot. At one point I thought, "pace yourself." Then I remembered this is a Sprint... just RUN! No pacing, just RUN! Run 1 time includes T2 time.

Run 2 (14:12) - Was into the 90s by now and HOT. Flashback to White Lake Bake! I felt heat drained and was barely running. All water stops had only hot water. Run 2 time includes T3 time.

I should have pushed harder on first run; no excuse there. Second run was what it was; I could not have done much better with the heat/humidity after already swimming, running, and biking.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off. Had water, cold soda, and a sandwhich wrap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

This was my first double sprint and I LOVED it! It was so fun to mix things up a bit. Setup did a wonderful job as always and I would definitely do this race again.

Two things would have made it better. All the water stops had quite hot water. And there was only one small baby pool to rinse feet and it was only 1/3 full of water. It would have been good to have more foot bath pools.

Last updated: 2010-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:29 | 820 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/176
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Ocean with current
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:03 | 12.4 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two flat out and back loops.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:25 | 03 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two 1.5 mi run segments.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-27 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

2010-06-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2946851

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon
Great, detailed report Maria!  Looks like you definitely had fun with this one.  It's been a HOT summer!
2010-06-28 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
well done Barbara, you did great.x
2010-06-28 6:29 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Wow eventful weekend. Meet some good people, have a good race, stay the weekend at a crime scene.

Good job out there. I hope you got to fly Roger while at the beach.
2010-06-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2947480

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
qrkid - 2010-06-28 7:29 AM Wow eventful weekend. Meet some good people, have a good race, stay the weekend at a crime scene.

Good job out there. I hope you got to fly Roger while at the beach.

LOL, nope!  I took Roger with me, but it was nearly 100 degrees after the race and we did not feel like sticking around!
2010-06-28 9:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-06-28 9:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Maria, good job sticking with it! Very unusual event, wonder if more will catch on. And to end up on the swim too. Definitely very different. At least it looks like it was flat but I hear ya about being HOT! I don't think I would've taken it as a good omen about the hotel, though.

You should give feedback to the race director about the water and anything else. Some will listen to make the race better for next year. I remember one where there was only Vitamin water but no electrolyte replacement drink for folks who needed it. A good number of people had to buy Gatorade out of the vending machine instead.

Anyway, hope you're taking a down day and keeping cool. Still sweltering up here :-(
2010-06-28 4:35 PM

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Maria,
Great to meet you and Pete this weekend. You have set a new standard for race reports-well written and beautiful pictures. You did fantastic on your first ocean race. BTW,someone from Setup usually reads these race reports. So hopefully they will make note of your comments. Personally I would like the race to start at 7:00 to avoid some of the heat.

John
2010-06-28 5:19 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I struggle just getting through *one* swim, *one* bike, and *one* run. 
2010-06-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2949149

Expert
, North Carolina
johnkav - 2010-06-28 5:35 PM Maria, Great to meet you and Pete this weekend. You have set a new standard for race reports-well written and beautiful pictures. You did fantastic on your first ocean race. BTW,someone from Setup usually reads these race reports. So hopefully they will make note of your comments. Personally I would like the race to start at 7:00 to avoid some of the heat. John

Great meeting you too and seeing you on the course!  Hey... I wish we had taken a pic of the crime scene tape in front of the hotel!  Ha!

PM me your email and I'll forward the pic from Ginger with you at Flaming Amy's (unless she already sent to you).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed