Charlottesville Triathlon Club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 45s
Overall Rank = 28/112
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Charlottesville w/ my friend, Karla. We were spending the night and getting some dinner before the race Sunday. I needed the mini break. It had been a crazy week w/ my mom(aka nanny) and hubby out of town. Plus taking care of my Dad who needs daily care for eating, showering, moving around, etc. and work has been crazy.

Ominous start to the weekend, when we checked into the hotel and it had no power. Charlottesville had a terrible storm on Thurs. and there were still power outages. Thankfully it was back on when we returned from dinner.
Event warmup:

Got up early and got to setup w/ plenty of time to spare. It was a free fall for rack spots and not quite enough racks for everyone so even though I had a good spot, I got squished by the race start. no biggie though.

Karla and I ran a bit on the run course (trail run) and I watched her fall in slow motion. She was ok and apparantly fell 2 times on the trail during the race. Then we got the lake - so warm - and did some swimming.
Swim
  • 14m 7s
  • 483 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim always sucks but I felt like I swam this hard. I felt like I was sprinting. SO I gave it a good effort. I think the course was a little onger than advertised. Times were all longer than previous years and the course was the same. I think I drafted a bit - something new.

Deep water start where I trully had to treadwater for 3-4 min did not help. That's another thing I'm not good at and had not done before.
What would you do differently?:

Just keeping working on the stroke and endurance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Tough swim exit - very muddy and slippery plus uphill to transition. And I swam hard so HR was up. Tried to walk to recover - never happened. I was surprised I was as fast as I was.

Tied for 4th in AG / 22nd overall.

Maybe be a little slower - did not getting HR down before bike start.
Bike
  • 59m 25s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Well here's where poor mental planning lead to a bad attitude which usually means that I kind of give up on a race. The course was a beast - lots of hills that were medium in length and steepness which made it tough to keep momentum and the HR done. The hill coming out of the park just sucked. It was long and hard.

I was upset that I was working so hard. I felt I should have been in better shape coming off the first half of my season. Plus I was not prepared mentally for a hilly bike - I though it was a course with rollers. Anyway, if I'd had a different game plan then I may have ridden smarter abnd then run better.

Be prepared mentally
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

The high point of my race. 2nd AG / 19th overall

I must have picked some pointers from my buddy John in Texas. ;-)

Apparantly nothing b/c I have so much other stuff to focus on.
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok - the trail run was fun and challenging. But by this point, my attitude sucked. I could not get the HR down, the legs were burning and it was hard to pass on the single track w/o bursts of energy that I didn't have.

Sadly, I jogged the downhill finish. I hate it when I give up on myself - there is no excuse but it happens. So in the great words of Scarlet O'Hara "Tomorrow is another day."

Get my head in the game.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate some stuff. Drank a bunch. Waited for Karla's AG award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head and attitude. I just wasn't able to prepare in my head for this race. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I think it was. I didn't have a realistic time goal. I had come up w/ something a few weeks that was crazy and I'm not even sure where it came from. I don't think I fueled my body very well for the course and the heat. And I did not research the course enough.

I thought it was just a sprint and I could easily zip through it. Not the case if I want to be happy w/ my result. So I certainly learned something from this failure and plan on using the info going forward.

Event comments:

Small, small race. Some things could have been better but I understand since it was a local group putting it on. Post food snacks were good and plentiful.

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:07 | 483 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 85/112
Performance: Average
Suit: ill fitting tri top/bottom
Course: 2 buoy turn rectangle shape
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:25 | 16 miles | 16.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 29/112
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Hilly Lollipop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:59 | 03 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 32/112
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly single track trail run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-30 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon

2010-06-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2952519

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon
Good job, sounded like a tough course.  Not a bad finish for bagging the run.
2010-07-02 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice race Sam!  Nothing messes up a day like suprises with hills...  Also, good for you for getting away for a weekend with your friend.  BTW - its good to see that John can be an inspiration for you!

2010-07-02 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
now how on earth did i miss this!  AWESOME T2 SAM!!!  i hate to think that you thought of this as a failure though.  it's not!  you learned a bit, you know what to correct (stay positive) and you got away from tony for a few days.

tomorrows anther day but learn from yesterday.   good job sam!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed