General Discussion Race Reports! » Somersault's Greater Kingston Sydenham Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Somersault's Greater Kingston Sydenham Triathlon (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sydenham, Ontario
Canada
Somersault
35C / 95F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 56s
Overall Rank = 53/87
Age Group = Women 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am, out the door by 4am to drive to Sydenham (a 2.5-3h drive). I got there at 6:40am, picked up my race kit, set up in transition, chilled out by the beautiful waterfront on the lake, and talked to people. It was HOT already - 35C, with a Humidex of 40C (104F)!! CRAZY!!
Event warmup:

Got the wetsuit on, swam around a bit, got the legs and arms warmed up.
Swim
  • 25m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

20/87 OA; 5/30 OA women; 2/4 W20-24

First loop went well, I had legs to draft off of for some of it. Second loop went horribly - a lot of people sighted for the wrong buoy b/c it was difficult to see the right buoy at that point so the kayakers guarding us were going ballistic, either disqualifying people for trying to "cut" (but no one was trying to cut, the course was just fucking confusing!). If we didn't want to be disqualified, we had to swim back out to where we started getting off track and go the right way. This cost me at least 2-3 minutes. VERY FRUSTRATING. I wish they had just made it clear where the hell we were supposed to go. I spent the rest of the swim trying to catch up.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, double and triple check that where everyone is going is the right way... The swim should have at least been 23:xx.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

T1 was a 400m run from the beach to transition. This went well enough.

Wetsuit removal can be just a bit quicker. Get a quick-release kit for my 310xt so I don't have to waste time putting it on in T1.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 19s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.46 km/hr
Comments:

71/87 OA; 17/30 OA women; 2/4 W20-24

It was a rolling and hilly type of course - perfect prep for next week's 70.3! The course was gorgeous - farmland, hay stacks, sheep, horses and cows, birds! The first 10k was spent getting my frustration about the swim under control, and the HR down. The last 30k was done well. I drank enough for a regular day, but I suppose not enough for such a hot/humid day, as the run would later tell me. The bike felt really good though. Tough but well done.

Drink more to offset the dehydration on the run.
Maybe a bit more calories.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I still get off the bike too slow for my liking, but it was good enough.

Get out of shoes and run in my socks.
Run
  • 53m 33s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

44/87 OA; 11/30 OA women; 2/4 W20-24.

The first km was just settling into pace, keeping it easy while I find my running legs (4:49/km). Then the insane heat hit me. I was dehydrated and getting more and more dehydrated with each step. I had INSANE cramps around my ribs, and there was nothing I could do to stop them. My goal of a <47 10k (within my reach) was out the window. I had to walk for substantial portions of this 10k, and I hoped to god the water I downed at each aid station would lessen my cramps. They did for just a bit, but then came back with a vengeance. I really just wanted to finish. This was disgusting, hot, with no wind and no shade, and incredibly painful. The cramps made it impossible to breath. BAH.

Drink more on the bike (but I really couldn't have had much more); bring a water bottle or gatorade with me on the run - awkward to run with but at least I'd get the fluids in me. Train in hotter conditions - but 40C/104F is fucking hot!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, went to swim in the lake to cool down, wash off the dirt/sweat, and to let the muscles cool and relax. Watched people finish, talked to people, got a massage, picked up my medal and watched other medallists get theirs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT, holy fuck. This should have been a 2:38-2:42 Olympic, easily.

Event comments:

This is a beautiful course for all 3 disciplines - I definitely want to do it again, but hopefully in cooler conditions. The heat destroyed me, and many others, today. I should always have a back-up plan. I think next time when conditions are supposed to be hot, I will have a chilled water/gatorade bottle in transition for me. I can take it on the run and rehydrate more than what the aid stations can do for me. It's not ideal, but it's definitely better than falling apart in the run b/c of the heat.

Last updated: 2010-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:42 | 1500 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 20/87
Performance: Average
Suit: nineteen W XS
Course: 3 loops of a 500m rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:19 | 40 kms | 28.46 km/hr
Overall: 71/87
Performance: Good
avg HR = 153; max HR = 175
Wind: Some
Course: It was an out-and-back which we did twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:33 | 10 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Overall: 44/87
Performance: Bad
avg HR = 166; max HR = 178
Course: It was 2x an out-and-back course on gravelly paths.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Somersault's Greater Kingston Sydenham Triathlon (Olympic)

2010-07-05 4:49 AM
in reply to: #2960958

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Somersault's Greater Kingston Sydenham Triathlon (Olympic)
Good job Krystyna

40 Celsius is just insane  to race, but you went and did it. Sucks for the swim course though, multiple course one between the others are always confusing. Especially when you are in the water swimming.

Good job, and really good preparation for your 70.3 next week  
2010-07-05 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Whoa! Despite all that insanity - heat, crazy swim, etc, you still rocked!!

Best of luck next weekend!
2010-07-08 2:53 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Seriously, 40C is an insane temperature to race in, even more if its humid. No wonder you died!!! Still a very impressive run speed all considered :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Somersault's Greater Kingston Sydenham Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed