View Member's Race Log
Pleasant Prairie, WI
United States
Total Time = 1h 49m 56s
Overall Rank = 2123/3450
Age Group = Mixed
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got to the start and set up by 6:30. waited restlessly for THREE HOURS til our wave went off. I did some agilities and some yoga stretch type stuff to warm up... pointless.
Swim
  • 15m 10s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

the water was warm and flat, but man, was I ever outta form! I just couldn;t catch a rhythm. I started too far behind, so I couldn;t explode and claim my personal space and then settle in which is what worked well last time.
What would you do differently?:

try to either start in front, or way on side and cut across.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

fun fun... my t spot was WAY far from the swim exit, and it hurt a bit running along the pavement. I really took my time since I had no intention of "racing" I was psyched with the way the equinox felt on the jog out of the T area.

nothing really. It took as long as I needed it to!
Bike
  • 43m 9s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

how cool! I rode the new Trek Equinox WSD courtesy of the Fit for Women Tour! K had said it was a dumb idea, and it probably was. I had never ridden with aerobars, much less ones that had the shifters at the ends and the brakes so far away. And I hadn;t been on a bike in 3 weeks, and I had some major surgery and hemorraghing a week before.... and the bike didn;t have cages on it for water.... and I am not a very good bike handler anyway... But I kicked my own ass! The bike was so smooth, I had some minor pain in my upper back, but the pedaling was fine in the aero position, it turned nicely, and I never really panicked or had trouble handling it. I didn;t even notice hills! I loved it! I went much faster than my last race which was shorter and flatter, so a) teh bike rules, and b) I am proud of my riding progress (thanks to June Challenge!)

nothing! maybe attached my own cages. I got really dehydrated and paid for it all day and night.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

took all kinds of time, didn;t even "race" really. I sat down to change shoes, and to drink a full bottle of gatorade.

nothing. For me, the race was over after the ride.
Run
  • 45m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

walked it as per PT's instructions. It was REALLY bloody hot, and I was way dehydrated. Kathryn ever caught me on the bike (amazing....) but found me about 1/4 mile in on teh run, and she decided to walk it with me. That was kind of fun, but I felt a little guilty. She was doing really well and could have really nailed it, but she was hot too. That late start was a bummer.

nada. This was what I was supposed to do. I was just so happy to be out there.
Post race
Warm down:

shit ass.
we had a major miscommunication and we each waited for almost 2 hours for one another due to the RIDCULOUS shuttle system back to the car. I was so totally out of it dehydarted, I could hardly walk to the car-- I had to drag my bag, I was afraid I'd fall over...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

um, being sick for 5 months, having had surgery, and my ITB/Glute problem for starters

Event comments:

lame food at end, not enough water, there should have been an express shuttle for athletes back to the cars. waiting in that heat post race in that line was ABSURD.

can;t wait to be healthy and do it again!

Last updated: 2005-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:10 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3450
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit
Course: across Lake Andrea
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:09 | 12.3 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: around pleasant prairie I thought it was quite flat, I honestly don't remember any climbs but some people were complaining about them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45.04:00 | 03.1 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: nice loop around lake
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-12 5:20 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: Danskin- Chicagoland

2005-07-12 9:05 PM
in reply to: #196497

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Danskin- Chicagoland
Hollis - great race! With everything that's been going on with you lately, it was awesome that you got out there and raced! And you really kicked butt on that bike!

And I agree with you on the late start, though I don't know how it could have been avoided with so many people. Three of my friends were in the Mixed group and started after 9am.... by the time they came in, I was dying just standing there waiting for them. Can't imagine still being on the course in that heat, especially since the run course was completely exposed and had no shade.

Anyway - great job!
2005-07-13 10:27 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Way to hang in there! I think you guys were just starting the swim when I was coming around on the run. Couldn't imagine running in that heat as it baked down on the asphalt. Totally agree with the lack of food and water and poor organization with transportation. This may keep me from doing the race next year.
2005-07-25 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Holy Cannoli! You did this race, after having surgery, excessive bleeding, and a 3 week bike break... on a foreign bike with aerobars and bar end shifters... it's amazing. And your performance was outstanding. Nice work, Hollis!

Be proud of yourself!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-07-25 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great race!  And too cool to get a bike to use!  How did you swing that?
2005-07-28 11:14 AM
in reply to: #206390

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
COgirl - 2005-07-25 10:43 AM

Great race! And too cool to get a bike to use! How did you swing that?

the Fit For Women tour was there and I just asked if I could ride it and they just said yes. Couldn't have been easier! They got it all set up to fit me and everything-- if anyone is doing a Danskin thissummer, you should totally check it out!

2005-07-28 12:17 PM

User image

Hollis I admire the way you just stepped over every major hurdle that has come your way lately.  Way to go!
2005-07-28 1:09 PM
in reply to: #209826

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
possum - 2005-07-28 10:14 AM

the Fit For Women tour was there and I just asked if I could ride it and they just said yes. Couldn't have been easier! They got it all set up to fit me and everything-- if anyone is doing a Danskin thissummer, you should totally check it out!

I saw them at the expo on Saturday, and when they were letting people go for rides, I just assumed around the block. Very nice!

If I were to ride a race with a bike that nice, I'd have to have one, and I think I've spent enough on my bikes this year.
2005-07-28 2:57 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
great race, hollis (well, apart from the shuttle stuff at the end). you rocked on the bike! wow! imagine how fast you'd be going if you hadn't just had surgery??? amazing. how are you feeling???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin- Chicagoland Rss Feed