Trisport canada
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 41s
Overall Rank = 257/399
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

awake at 4:30 $#@$**#@ !!!. Biobreak. Couldn't get back to sleep. Up at 5:30 had oatmeal and juice for breakfast. Go through triathlon gear one last time. Biobreak. mix nutrition for the day. load up et a coffe and head to the race :) Feeling good.. this is going to be a great day !!!!!
Event warmup:

Had to park about 1 K from the transition area. Snuck into a parking spot and snugged up nice and tight to some small trees. Maybe a little too tight but no marks on the truck or trees. Into transition and find a spot. Yeah I found one, of course at the end of the rack cuz I didn't haul my butt out of the house early enough to get a good spot. Checked in and got race kit and body marking done. Lots of people from the tri club volunteering today so for the first time I knew lots of people at the race. A couple of the girls from the club were doing the body marking and both did my numbers so I thought I would just hang around awhile. Not to often I have two women doing things too my body. Set up transition area and off for a short run to warm up the old engine. And finally got my wetsuit and headed to the lake for the swim warm up and race. Swam a few hundred meters warm up then watched the first 4 waves go out before my turn.
Swim
  • 20m 29s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

very good swim. Start was about waist deep. Got off to a good quick start . Kept out the the elbows and legs kicking. well most of them anyway. started drafting to keep the swim nice and easy. Buoys were well placed and easy to see. Sighting was great and I was looking up about every 12 strokes. I kept on course very well with none of my usual drifting. I realized I could have gone faster and stronger once I got out of the water and felt really good and solid. Oh well I'll use that extra good feeling on the bike. 1:16 faster than last year without even trying.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, of course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I had a pretty good transition. This is a conservation area so the would not allow any changes to the lanscape. The run to transition was over some very lumpy ground coming out of the water and I had to watch my step closely. Up over the road. Ouch ooch darn gravel roads. Heard encouragement from one of the tri club ladies. Sounded really nice to have someone shouting out your name. Big :) Wet suit came off pretty good excep for the right leg. Got stuck on my ankle and no matter how hard I stood on the wet suit couldn't pull it off. Had to reach down and grab it an yank it off. I decided I would just stay on the ground:) and put on my bike gear. Ran out of transition with bike. 44 seconds faster than last year.

hoepfully not get my wet suit caught on my ankle.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 9s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the thing that held me back from having a better ride was the engine on the bike. Actually I found myself in top gear and being passed by other people with much newer bikes both road and tri. I'm sure it was really the bike that let me down from coming in at least 2nd on the bike :). I did feel good on the bike though and came off it in good shape. I took my feet out of the shoes about 100 m out and jumped off the bike at the dismount line. I'd like a picture of that. I must have looked fabulous!!!! 1:30 faster than last year

I could have pushed a little harder on the bike maybe but didn't want to leave everything out on this course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

smmmoooooth transition. nothing else to say. 36 seconds faster than last year. I'm getting good at this transition stuff. Soon I'll be able to coach John.

nada
Run
  • 41m 30s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Not one of my steller runs but OK. Came out of transiton at a decent pace but never really picked up much speed even after I got my running legs under me. The aide stations were all manned by the tri club members so I got a little extra water at each station by way of splashes thrown at me. At the first station I got 3 thrown and thought I might drown on the run. Overall I could have done much better here if I had just overridden my brain telling me to take it easy and just stay comfortable. What a battle all the way through the race. devil on the right hand shoulder saying "go for it you lazy bum" and the angel on the left saying "take it easy, you only have to finish". "Stupid angel". I had talked to one of the young ladies in our group at the swim start and she was saying that I would probably catch her during the race. I saw hera couple of times on the run and warned her I was goignt to catch her. I didn't quite make it but after the race she said that was enough to keep her going just a bit faster and finish with a time better than she hoped for.

Not listen to the angel. I need to get out and do some more intervals and get my speed back up to where I was last year.
Post race
Warm down:

lay down on the grass and breathe. Drink water. changed clothes. Took all gear the 1K walk back to the truck and then walked back to the site as I had volunteered to help with the next race. Grabbed a bit of food. I have a hard time eating much right after a race. My stomach doesn't want to hold much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really I think I would have better bike times on a newer bike. While my current bike is OK and does a reasonable job I need to be able to get better times on the bike portion. The gearing is too small with the rear cassette only holding 6 gear changes.

Event comments:

Once a gain a well sponsored and run event. My hat off to the organizers and volunteers. I even remembered to thank the police officers out on the course directing traffic.

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:29 | 1094 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 159/399
Performance: Good
Suit: yes won't let us swim naked
Course: wet.... rectangle. left turns. Much nicer swim than last year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:09 | 18.64 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 277/399
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: very good looped course. The first 8K was very gently rolling and slightly downhill. The road was great and I was only passed by about 15 bikes. Doing good at this point. First turn lead in to some long gentle downhill slopes. After the turn around we had to go back up these rises and into some rather larger hills. 18K saw us heading back home into the wind with some even large hills to climb. I was doing great on the uphill portions and flying downhills. The tri bikes were killing me on the flats though. I had one lady I must have passed 6 times on the hills but in the last 7 K the road was flat and my pace booty just kept pulling away :(. One final push about 3K out brought her back into view. Actually not just her back I could see all of her.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:30 | 04.35 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 319/399
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back in the conservation area on truck tracks. OK for the run but hot as heck. The course was actually a truck path in the trees and bushes. Kept to the left hand track so as not to run into the people coming back down on the opposite side.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Belwood

2010-07-19 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2990432

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Belwood
awesome job rob!  always love your reports.  ha... two ladies doing things to you!  love it.  wicked t2!  ;-)
2010-07-19 3:02 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Great race report Rob! Very funny. 

I'm thinking you were one of the blue caps swimming around me (I was a pink cap in the wave in front of you!). 

Good job on the race!!
2010-07-19 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Great job Rob.  I remember reading years worth of your RRs that had slower T2 times and you didn't have to change shoes then!  I wish I was brave enough to do the flying dismount.  Road with my feet on the shoes coming in from the ride yesterday but was too chicken to swing my leg around. 

Maybe changing some of the components on the bike would be an alternative.  New cassette and upgraded wheels could do wonders.

And I'm not going to touch the ladies comments.  Embarassed
2010-07-19 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great race Rob!  I love your RR, its like I was there with you!  Better than last year is a good thing!

2010-07-19 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Coach John!   Yes......Coach John!

Nice work.  Nice improvement.

2010-07-19 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2990726

User image

Great race, Rob! Nice improvements on the swim and bike, and on that blazing fast T2!!
2010-07-19 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lots of good stuff here, Rob....faster times, faster transitions.  Congrats on a good race!
2010-07-19 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Great race, and great report!!!
2010-07-19 7:24 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice race Rob....two women doing stuff to you in early in the morning sounds really good> No wonder your wife doesnt want to come watch you!!
2010-07-19 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Rob!!!! now go buy that new bike and do it all over again!!!

2010-07-20 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Awesome job on the race!  Congrats on all of your improvements.
2010-07-20 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Great job!!! Awesome bike...:-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Rss Feed