General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taking a bike on a road trip question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-27 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: taking a bike on a road trip question
heading out for a vacation with the family this saturday and I really want to take my bike as there will be some great rides close to where we are staying. my concern is that the only way to carry my bike is hanging on a trunk mounted bike rack. this would leave my baby out in the wind for over 4 hours, each way, at freeway speeds. my car is also very small and will offer very little protection from the wind, not sure if the bike could be damaged by this or not.

has anyone gone on a road trip with a nice bike and had problems? any suggestions on how to protect the bike from what ever may come flying at it at 80 mph? should I go the safe route, leave it at home and just run while away? thoughts?

2010-07-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3007115

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: taking a bike on a road trip question
I've taken my bike (and the family bikes) on trips specifically to go on long bike rides.  We've used both roof rack systems and hitch mounts.  Unless you do something dumb (like try to go through the drive through with the roof rack - take my word for it, duct tape is a wonderful fix-all), the bikes should be fine.  If you expect to hit rain, I might put a shower cap on the seat to keep it dry, and keep some extra chain lube in the trunk.
2010-07-27 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
your bike will be fine. 

your chain/cassette may pick up some grime along the way, but nothing that can't be cleaned off.  So, if you pride yourself on a clean bike, bring some cleaning supplies with you.  And, as mentioned above- some lube.

I guess you could wrap the whole thing in saranwrap if you were anal.
2010-07-27 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Four hours at freeway speed is no big deal. I've done it with roof mount, hitch mount, trunk mount, road bike, mountain bike, tri bike, multiple bikes, single bikes.

First, use a quality trunk rack. You can spend a fortune or not, but there is a low end that's too low end - designed for WalMart bikes, not a bike store bike.

Second, make sure you know how to attach the bike rack - follow the directions slowly and carefully.

Third, make sure you take some test drives around town with the bike + rack to see how things go. You don't want to scratch up your car and you don't want things to loosen up and you don't want to be the guy not watching the road because you're staring in your mirror worried about your bike.

I'm a big fan of adding extra velcro straps for a multi hour drive so there isn't a single point of failure. Basically I don't make it tighter, I just add backups. Lowes or Home Depot have the strong velcro loops that work really well (loop on one end to lock it in place).
2010-07-27 11:06 AM

Champion
South Jersey

My bike has ridden on the roof of my car for much longer trips than 4 hours. It's seen wind, rain, dirt roads, high speeds, etc. It's always been fine. I would venture to say it's a bit more "protected" on the back of a car.

I did once have my aerobar pads fly off. Now, I always put a rubber band around them when they're on my car.

2010-07-27 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3007306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
LaurenSU02 - 2010-07-27 12:06 PM

My bike has ridden on the roof of my car for much longer trips than 4 hours. It's seen wind, rain, dirt roads, high speeds, etc. It's always been fine. I would venture to say it's a bit more "protected" on the back of a car.

I did once have my aerobar pads fly off. Now, I always put a rubber band around them when they're on my car.

I lost an aero bar pad once too...on the way to a race without a replacement, tough ride that day Tongue out...that's kind of what got me started thinking about this whole thing. also I was thinking about the shape of my bike being very aero and going into the wind the wrong way, sideways...

sounds like nobody has experianced any real damage?

2010-07-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3007374

User image

Champion
the whole point of those racks, is , well to put your bike on it. i've driving across teh country with two bikes back there, through a few big thunderstomrs, they are still working alright.
2010-07-27 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I have a big skin cover that protects the bike for the most part from bugs, dirt, and grime that I use on messier days. It might, however, cover your taillights on a trunk rack. 
2010-07-27 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Put the kids on the rack and the bike inside. They will enjoy it.

Definitely bring the bike. I love riding/running/swimming in new places. (Equally as fun as racing to me
2010-07-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3007475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Karibu - 2010-07-27 12:45 PM Put the kids on the rack and the bike inside. They will enjoy it.

Definitely bring the bike. I love riding/running/swimming in new places. (Equally as fun as racing to me

my son would love that but I don't think the wife would be too happy...
2010-07-27 1:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Just a few weeks ago I took an 11-hour road trip (each way) with three tri bikes on the back of a Jeep Wrangler. No harm at all. One of the bikes had a gear/chain protector bag kinda like this but because the owner's house was a few miles of dirt roads away from civilization so it was automatic for her.

Last weekend I had a similar road trip (but only 2.5 hours each way) and it poured rain for about an hour of the trip back home. Just be sure to wipe your bike down and have some extra lube on-hand in case of rain. But the bikes were fine, even in the rain.

2010-07-27 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
We've also trekked way further with our bikes on the back of the car with no issue.  The only thing that happened was my handlebar tape got a little chewed up once ... tape came loose and got a little ragged - aside from looking a little ugly there were no problems.

Have fun on vacation!
2010-07-27 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I'd driven all sorts of places with my bike on a trunk rack and it did fine.  Then I got home from a race earlier this year only to notice my bike wasn't there. 

So... as long as your baby stays on, she'll be fine.  I do recommend some sort of extra precaution now, though.  In fact, I always ran a wire lock through the rack and my frame pretty tight, just in case.  The one time I didn't..... no bike.

2010-07-27 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
AngeloS - 2010-07-27 11:13 AM  this would leave my baby out in the wind for over 4 hours, each way, at freeway speeds.

Sounds like the descent from my climb the other day...

Seriously, as others said, not a problem.  I just got back from driving a longs ways through two HUGE thunderstorms with my bike on a trunk rack.  No problem.

Edited by Experior 2010-07-27 1:49 PM
2010-07-27 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3007805

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm comfortable with having the bike on the outside of the car (roof or trunk) BUT, I'm more nervous about it falling off the car (trunk rack) than it getting damaged ON the car.  If that makes sense. 

Most racks suggest a 55-60mph limit.  Hard to do around here when the posted limit is 75 and I like to do 80-85.

SO, since it's typically just me (and the wife)  I will take the wheels off and put them in the trunk with luggage and I can put the frame in the back seat (with towels over everything to keep the grease from getting on the leather!

If that's not an option, I'm fine with the rack but drive a bit slower and check it at every stop.  But inside if it's inside, I can drive worry free.

BTW, 4 hours is not bad at all.  I went much longer at times with my old roof rack.

Edited by Kido 2010-07-27 1:30 PM
2010-07-27 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
AngeloS - 2010-07-27 10:13 AM heading out for a vacation with the family this saturday and I really want to take my bike as there will be some great rides close to where we are staying. my concern is that the only way to carry my bike is hanging on a trunk mounted bike rack. this would leave my baby out in the wind for over 4 hours, each way, at freeway speeds. my car is also very small and will offer very little protection from the wind, not sure if the bike could be damaged by this or not.

has anyone gone on a road trip with a nice bike and had problems? any suggestions on how to protect the bike from what ever may come flying at it at 80 mph? should I go the safe route, leave it at home and just run while away? thoughts?

We drove with the bike from Illinois to Coeur D'Alene last year for IMCdA.  The bike went in a box in the back end of our Taurus Wagon.  Luggage went around the box...I can't say whether my 199X Klein is a "nice bike" or not, but I wasn't ready to fight for mechanical support prior to the race, nor was I interested in buying a new bike in CdA/Spokane because that one got damaged/lost...

We did drive from Illinois to Ohio and back with bikes on a receiver-mounted bike rack. 

If you air the baby out on the trip...
1)  Remove anything that might come off/loose due to airflow or vibration (bike computer, pump)
2)  Remove anything that might otherwise disappear from the bike during a stop (seat bag)
3)  Snug everything down.  It doesn't take long to wear through the paint on either the car or the bicycle if something rubs. 
4)  Anchor everything down.  Bungee the wheels.  Bungee the handlebars.  Bungee the bottom of the bike if you need.
5)  Recheck all your lines before you start and every time you stop. 

I have talked with people who had their bike come off the rack while driving.  It's pretty hard on the bike... One guy got to Steelhead last year only to find an empty rack on the back of his car.  His race was done... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taking a bike on a road trip question Rss Feed