WIN Multisports
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 02m 41s
Overall Rank = 70/100
Age Group = 17/34 all F
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

As usual, packed the truck the night before and tried to get to bed early. That part didn't work out as planned. Breakfast (usual again) of banana and PB bagel and coffee. No reason to change what works. It's about an hour drive over to Waseca and it was foggy, which made for a little slower trip. No worries though as we left in plenty of time.
Event warmup:

I took the bike out for a short spin, but that's about it. Mainly just wandered around and chatted. Pretty much the norm for me. I'd heard that the water was super-warm and several people were debating going without the wetsuit. I got in the water to see just how warm it was and decided that I could deal with it. My wetsuit is so big that it flushes the water pretty frequently, so not much danger of overheating.
Swim
  • 37m 37s
  • 1660 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I set out to beat my time from last year (39 min). To do that, I knew I needed a steady and straight swim. No resting and no wandering around the lake like last year. Emily and I were chatting before the wave start, so I ended up starting in the middle/back of the wave. That just meant I had a bit of traffic at the beginning, but it smoothed out pretty soon. With only 34 females and a handful of team swimmers, it was a small wave. I caught my first blue cap (the wave ahead of me) before the turn, so I knew the swim was going well. Around the turn and more blue caps. I had a bit of trouble going straight on the way back because we were going at an angle to the beach, no parallel. I had to keep correcting until I convinced my brain which way I was supposed to go. I hit my watch out of the water (36:44), so the official time includes the run to T1.

Nutrition- 3 Shotblocks before going to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a decent effort and I think I paced it pretty well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Kind of slow for some reason. I'm still not super-fast getting into my aero helmet. I saw Kelly O leave transition ahead of me. I told him I'd see him soon.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 53s
  • 33.3 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Whoo-hoo! I really like this course! I passed Kelly at mile 2 and told him I was sure to see him again on the run. He's a better runner than I am and I knew I'd have to put in a great ride to stay ahead of him. I started reeling in one rider after another and tried to keep my pace above 19mph. We had a tailwind for the first hour and I was making a big effort to bank as much speed as possible. Somewhere after the turn at the church, something stung me under the saddle. I guess a bee (?) was hichhiking and got tired of me sweating on him. I was a bit worried since I can be a little allergic, but decided to keep going. Not anything I could do out there on the road anyway. After a while I forgot about it, so it wasn't a problem. There was one section of fresh asphalt- super sweet! At mile 22, we turned back into the wind and there was about a 4 mile section that was tough. I was still passing people, just not as quickly. I didn't count, but I think only about 5 people got by me and all of those were in the last 8 miles. Why wasn't I able to stay ahead of them? Not sure. Anyway, the ride was over way too quick.

Nutrition- half pack of Shotrocks, 1 salt cap, 1 gel, 1/4 bottle Perform and not enough water.

Drink up. I think I paid for that later on the run. Could I have gone harder in the last 8 miles? Would I have paid for it more on the run? The eternal question. I beat my goal time by about 7 min, so it was worth it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

First flying dismount with the new shoes. No problems, except my feet were kind of stumpy feeling.
Run
  • 1h 35m 44s
  • 8.8 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hoping that this run wouldn't kick my azz, but I kind of knew it would. Both times I've ran 13.1 miles, at mile 9 I've wanted to sit down and cry. As I came in on the bike, Mario yelled at me, "Remember, no mile 9!" Yay! I started off at my usual pace and the first mile went well. After that, I started feeling kind of dizzy. Popped a salt tab at the first water stop and drank some water. I didn't want to drink so much I had to pee, but knew I needed to hydrate. Things weren't getting much better, so I tried a gel around mile 3.5. I think that helped some. As the second lap began I ran a bit with two others that were having a tough run. They both dropped off to walk and I was still trotting along, although slowly. At mile 5.5 I took my last salt even though I still felt kind of wonky. I figured that I'd walk it in if I felt worse. Somehow I kept going, walking a bit when I started feeling truly wretched. A few sips of Heed at mile 7. Before the mile 8 marker, I took one last walk break to muster the strength to run (my version of) fast to the finish line. I knew I was close to my goal time and that was incentive to push a little harder.

Really, I don't think there's anything I could have done differently. I was in a tough spot on the edge of a bonk and somehow came back to finish strong. I'll call that a win.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the line and getting some water, I spread my towel on the ground and laid down. I was beat! This is really the first time that I've been completely cooked at the end of a race. Usually I wonder if I should have gone harder. Not today. I gave all I had. After a few minutes, I hoisted myself up and walked a bit. The sprint folks were on their way out after collecting awards, so I said goodbyes and found some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual.

Event comments:

Another aid station on the run would be nice. It was pretty hot out there. Props to them for having cool water! Even that late in the race, the water was cool.

One complaint... On a two lap run course, it would be a great idea to have a timing mat to catch the cheaters who don't run both laps. Looking at the results, it's obvious that some folks only ran around the lake once. There's no excuse for not knowing the course; it was in the email and Mark went over it before the race started. There were signs and lots of volunteers too. In short, those people suck. Those are the people that need to get stung on the azz by a bee, not me.

Last updated: 2010-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:37 | 1660 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 0/100
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 148 Max HR- 155 (surely this was on the run up to T1)
Suit: Promotion full sleeve
Course: Narrow clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:45:53 | 33.3 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 154 Max HR- 165
Wind: Little
Course: Big wandering loop in the country. Getting out of town took a little concentration, but after that it was easy to just ride.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:44 | 08.8 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Performance: Average
Avg HR- 157 Max HR- 168
Course: Twice around a big freaking lake. Excellent. Shade? Not much. Awesome people with sprinklers out for us. None. Sizzling asphalt? Lots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Waseca Triathlon

2010-08-03 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3019965

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Waseca Triathlon

Great job out there Patty.  I think this would be a tough distance to do.  You want to go hard because the swim and the bike aren't soooo long but if you do the run is really going to bite you in the .  Great job!

2010-08-03 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3020469

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Lots of wins for you!  You went after that swim like a rockstar.  You are an awesome biker (I always look at your bike times as my "super secret goal") and you held on during an incredibly hard run.  I am really, really impressed.   In fact, can I come and train on the bike with you next year please?   

I agree that the fact they had cold water (and enough of it - Randy Fulton - cough cough) after so many hours was magical!

2010-08-03 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3020730

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Aww! Thanks, Emily!  My only training "secret" is that I'm the slowest one in the tri club and I just try to keep up.  I really wish there was someone around here for me to train with.  We should try to meet up a few times next year for the long rides.
2010-08-04 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3019965

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats on great race!

Giving it your all is very satisfying~

Nice was to PB the swim, hang tough on the bike even after being stung, and getting it done on the run.

Cheaters should be DQed and hopefully RD will see that some obviously cut the run short.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waseca Triathlon Rss Feed