Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 14m 38s
Overall Rank = 699/770
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 106/111
Pre-race routine:

Had to wake up fairly early because the start was an hour drive out of Calgary. Picked up Ava from her cousins and started out to Ghost Lake. Remembered that we left the camera in the hotel room and pulled a U-turn to go back to the hotel. That's when the cops pulled us over. Apparently it is illegal to do U-turns in Calgary. I suspect a little BS on the cops part but after a short delay we were off without a ticket.

Arrived at the venue with about a half hour to spare did the pre-race mumbo jumbo, met up with Danny and his family (Danny is the guy from Southern Alberta who forgot his wheels at home and borrowed a set of mine for the race.) Garmin is charging in the hotel, took heart rate monitor off chest, rolled eyes, shook head.
Event warmup:

Water was freakin cold. Warmed up by doing nothing. Horn went I started swimming.
Swim
  • 42m 57s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

This course is kind of funny. I remembered from last year that if you followed the bouys, the course is longer. The first turn you make is to the left, then every other turn is to the right. If you make a sharp turn at the first turn bouy and swim toward the bridge pillar it is easy to shave off a lot of swimming. If you stay close to the course marking bouys there is more swimming to be done.

I found someone shortly after the first swim bouy and drafted them for most of the course. It worked out really well for me. He was really good at spotting and we went very straight for the entire swim until I lost him near the end. Then I weeble-wobbled the last 200m into the boat launch getting clobbered by the lead women who started 12 minutes after I did.
What would you do differently?:

Need more practice.
Transition 1
  • 06m 39s
Comments:

Things went smoothly in transition. My wetsuit is so big it nearly falls off so I was stripped quickly. I had the spare tubular in my jersey pocket which made for some difficulty putting my shirt on but otherwise a good transition. Wet ground and puddles made for a splashy, grassy squishfest.

Put spare tire in jersey after getting jersey on.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 5s
  • 94 kms
  • 29.99 km/hr
Comments:

Used race wheels for the first time and the cassette on them is an 11-23 which made the hills a little harder than they needed to be, my regular cassette is an 11-25. It rained really hard on the northern edge of the course and off and on for the first half. The aid stations were few and far between and stocked with only Gaterade. I got half a Powerbar at the first aid station (first of two) and starved for the remainder of the day. I ate all my jelly beans and eload capsules and needed fuelling really bad.

There were lots of flats on the course and I saw a crash in front of me when a girl re-entered the course and cut someone off. Major crash with three bikes. As I slowed down to see if everything was OK a group of 8-10 people echeloned by WTF!! Where are the marshalls? One guy bleeding really good from the head and the person who entered the course was looking after things. Kept watching the echeloners pulling away from me, not so happy about this. Saw the ambulance go by, lights and sirens on.

Bring my own food!!!! Change the cassette to a regular 11-25.
Transition 2
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

I think it went good, memory is getting a little foggy at this point. Need food. Transition dude helped quite a bit. Changed out of sunglasses to regular glasses because Navarra was close by. After watching some major cheating on the bike course I wasn't afraid of being DQ'ed for this. Although, at this point, all references to DQ means Dilly Bars and Blizzards I'm so hungry.

I would take off my cycling shorts and leave in transition bag.
Run
  • 3h 12m 35s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 09m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Still no food. Only gels every 3kms or so. It dominates my thoughts for the entire run, if you can call it a run.

My goal was to run the first 10km then do a walk-run thing, but I only lasted 2km then did the walk-run thing for a while, then walked the last half.

Guy who crashed his bike and got help from the abulance went by me with about 5km to go in the run. He had major bruising, swelling and bandages on his head. I thought if you got medical attention during these events you weren't allowed to continue. I don't mean to seem petty because he passed me, I'm just saying. He was one tough SOB in my opinion and deserves to go on.

I had a frog hop out and keep up with my walk for about 50m near the end of the run. I had fun telling people going the other way that the frog was kicking my butt. Got some good laughs. Really wanted to eat the frog.

Stop and eat some grass, leaves, twigs, or dog crap, anything would have helped. Really felt underpowered for the entire run.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to food tent after getting my medal handed to me without a ribbon, weird. Has a sub, chips and a ginger-ale.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed food, I had very poor nutrition planning. I assumed that there would be enough at the race and was sorely disappointed.

Event comments:

I really didn't like this race and won't likely do it again. Not enough aid stations made this a long outing. Announcer at the finish line was referring to people as "Ironman" as they crossed the finish line. I know there is a debate about whether people who finish a 70.3 race should be called an Ironman or not, but this annoys me. For me and most people who have finished a 140.6 Triathlon this is an easy distinction. When you complete an 140.6 Triathlon, including races that are not of the "Ironman" brand, then you are an Ironman and not before. Of course I am easily annoyed when I am hungry.

All the volunteers and Police were fantastic and very supportive. Can't say enough how great they were!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:57 | 1900 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 76/111
Overall: 532/770
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: A counter clockwise square.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:08:05 | 94 kms | 29.99 km/hr
Age Group: 77/111
Overall: 411/770
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling course with great mountain scenery. A couple of long hills but it is generally a downhill point to point course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:12:35 | 21.1 kms | 09m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 109/111
Overall: 763/770
Performance: Bad
Course: Beautiful run course around Glenmore Reservoir. One seriously killer hill near the end of this out and back run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-08-03 3:16 PM

New user

South Porcupine, Ontario
Subject: Ironman Calgary 70.3

2010-08-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3021542

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Calgary 70.3
Crappy about the crash - was hoping there would be none this year. Brutal doing the bike on a 11/23 though! Next time though.

2010-08-03 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
So I guess you were hungry. Should have taken the bike made out of chocolate, then you could have eaten it in T2.
Way to persevere. I know that when one starts getting pissed off, things go from worse to worser....uturn, garmin, punch in the head, lack of food, bike cheaters, etc.

What doesn't kill you only teaches you to seek avoidance. There will always be another race. Stick a fork in this one. It's done!
2010-08-05 9:52 AM

User image

New user

Saskatoon
Good job, Trev! Your swim time is really good and your bike time is AWESOME! Too bad about not eating enough. A few years ago, I ate Cliff bars at races - I would break it up into chunks in a plastic baggie so that I could just pop them in my mouth as I biked. It worked really well.

I also don't think a 70.3 should be called an "Ironman." Didn't Ironman used to be a distance and now it's a brand? Anyway, annoying for sure... especially for those of us who have done the full IM distance.

Anyway, congrats on another half IM under your belt. It sounds to me like some bike-run bricks might serve you well. As well as some extra running! Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Calgary 70.3 Rss Feed