Jefferson
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = 2/55
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Okay, let me just start by saying that this race was a for fun race, just doing it because it was local and could have fun with the local clubs. I didn't taper at all and honestly didn't care how I did. It was so funny how so many of the local people were serious as a heart attack about this race. I guess doing the long stuff, which is what I love, it's hard for me to take the short stuff seriously (not that I am in any way belittling sprints...I'm an endurance perosn, not a speedy-gonzalez...I hate the short stuff). Everyone seemed to be out to get me. Eric said Chauncey was out for revenge since I beat him in the half at BSL. I'm just like, come and get me. I'll always have the half over his head anyways, lol. Anyways, so all that being said and you know my lack of caring mindset...here's how Saturday evening went...

Dwight and I headed to Jefferson around 3:30 in the afternoon to hang out in the shops and pick up my packet. After walking through downtown we made our way over to packet pickup where I saw some Tyler peeps. So, we decided to eat a "little" bit of food at the free pasta dinner and then eat more later. I ate spaghetti, bread, and salad. Oh, and they had kegs there, so started drinking beer. Well, they Tyler folks eventually left, but not to worry because now all of the Longview people started showing up. We basically closed down the pasta dinner and I managed to get 5 beers down...hey, they were free! Dave kept telling me to drink up because he wanted to have someone he could beat in the race. Anyways, so could we quit there?? No, not when there is a perfectly good bar in need of our service down the street. So, we headed over to Auntie Skinners for drinks and food. Some people didn't eat at the pasta dinner like Dwight and I did, but I didn't want them to have to eat all by themselves (okay so there were about 10-12 in our group and over half hadn't eaten yet)...so I had chips and salsa, Dwight and I split a hamburger, and then someone orderd stuffed jalepeno's that I couldn't pass up. And of course, had to have a couple of margaritas. Man, I'll be super fast with all this great carbo-loading!! Meanwhile, down at the other end of the table...they're getting way to serious talking about the race. I'm looking at the dance floor and watching the band and thinking of ways to make it on stage :) Anyways, the group called it quits at like 9:45...something about a triathlon being the next day :) So, drove back to Longview and headed to bed...
Event warmup:

Woke up around 4:30 and took my sweet ol' time getting ready. Left the house a little before 6. I love having races close by! Arrived at Lake O' the Pines at 6:30. And get this...I wasn't the first one there!! That again proves how lax I was about this race. Normally, I'm there before the volunteers, lol. Since I did this race last year, I now consider myself and expert :) Marched to transition, and was set up in about 0.2 seconds. Gradually the other tyler and longview folks started showing up so I chit-chatted with them. Oh, and I made the mistake of asking Kayla about my racing attire. You see I had on my roadkill top but at Tinman I realized how much it dragged in the water because it's loose. So, I thought about just swimming in my sports bra, but didn't want to take the time to put a top on in transition. So, my question was, do i deal with a little drag in the water or do I go without the top and do the entire race in my sports bra. Of course, Kayla the wild woman was like, "Go without girl! Flaunt what ya' got!" Didn't realize flaunting love handles was a good thing, but decided to be bold and go with it...man did I feel NAKED!! Did the normal 50 bathroom stops routine. We finally got in the water where we continued talking away and didn't realize the first wave taking off...oops!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 880 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

OMG, that could be quite possibly the worst swim of my life...like i think i did better last year and last year was my first OW swim. When we took off, my goggles immediately started leaking. I stopped twice to fix them. Didn't really matter because I still couldn't see Jack squat because of the extremely bright sun...we're talking way worse than at BSL. I couldn't swim a straight line to save my life. I mean, I was literally zig-zagging. At one point I would be heading for the lifeboats, then I would almost smack a buoy and inbetween I would be smacking into everyone who could swim. I was just laughing because it was just funny. I think because I was so in "I don't care" mode, I never could get in a groove. I saw Brad before the first turn. He's back stroking and says, "Hey Gina!" How did he know it was me?? Kept going. On the second leg I saw this girl that was swimming perfectly straight along the buoys. So, I thought I would just swim beside her. Well, I kept doing the swim to the other side of the lake, then swim back and run into her thing. I know she must have hated me. I felt so bad, but couldn't helpt it.
What would you do differently?:

Umm, perhaps swimming would be good during the swim portion of the triathlon. My head just wasn't in it, and I didn't care. At least I was providing myself some entertainment and keeping everyone else on their toes :)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No timing chips and no watch so I don't know any times for the race other than the overall time. However, transition went smoothly as usual. It's nice to not have to think about making sure i have nutrition stuff. I saw Jeff in transition...he's an awesome rider and runner, but is new to the swim stuff so I was glad to see he made it out.

Hmmm, smack talk Jeff, maybe?
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Bicicleta, bicicleta! I love cycling!! Before the race you could hear everyone with their panties all in a wad over the dam hills. Let me tell you, I would rather do 10 of those dam hills over any ONE of those hills at BSL. Anyays, I came out of transition and hammered up the dam hill (ha ha, I like being able to say dam and it not be bad...dam, dam, dam). Jeff was at the top as were a few other people. Jeff started to pass people, but he was waiting until Christmas I guess so I flew around the group thinking that Jeff would be quickly passing me back because he is such an awesome rider. Nope!! He he. The Gina is just too hot to handle today :) I'm not normally one to brag (I'm not one to be calm about a race either, so their is a first for everything) but I kicked major booty on this ride...chica and chico booty!! I loved the rolling hill course, wasn't near as bad as i had remembered. The hills were gradual, some long, but nothing too steep. I would fly by people on the uphills and pass even more on the downhills. It was like a roller coaster! Since I swam around the entire lake rather than just the marked area...there were tons of women in front of me. Not to worry though, I just clipped them away one at a time..."and another one bites the dust." As I approached the turn around I started counting women...only Kayla and a girl in a crazy swimsuit. Kayla was on a relay team so she didn't count so it was just crazy swimsuit girl. There was girl right in front of me as we headed into the turn around. She looked back and saw me and picked it up. Oh, you think you can hold me off? Ha ha, sit back and watch how a real cyclist does it honey! So, now it was on to the hunt for crazy swimsuit girl. I spied her wimping up a hill around mile 10. She's toast! Passed her with ease. I'm now Queen of the bike course!! I even passed Kayla, and then Rick...wait a sec? What's Rick doing back here? Then, passed Mike. I didn't realize it was Mike until I was right next to him. We were headed up a hill so I started talking smack about him letting a pigtailed girl pass him. So, he says, "Hold on!" and pedals up in front of me. He had on wind shorts rather than tri shorts. He grabs his shorts and yanks them up so that I can see his booty. "Ahh, man! Now that was just not necessary! I will be on my way now!" Finally turned back on to the dam road and came to the final climb. There's this guy decked out in an Ironman skinsuit that is about ready to cry for his mommy climbing that thing. Get out of the way ya' big pansy! Back to the top of the dam and heading back down the backside. The volunteer was like, "Brake! Brake!!" Geez dude, the curves aren't that tight and I'm a switchback weenie. Coming back into transition was great with everyone cheering. I think they were a little surprised to see me coming in first since I was near last coming out of the water.

I think I showed those people what's up, lol. Okay, seriously...I am not this cocky, but the bike was just fun. I have been in such a rut since BSL so it was nice to feel good again. Oh, one problem...I think I was feeling the revenge of my food and drinks from the night before, I had a burning sensation in my tummy.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My normal transition routine, nothing spectacular.

Eh, rearrange everyones transition stuff so that it put them into a panic?
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty slow on the run, but didn't really care. The burning sensation on the bike had now turned into a queasy, we hate you rumbling in the tummy. I saw several of the top Longview and Tyler guys heading back in. Eric saw me and said, Chauncey is right in front of you! Go get him! So, saw Chauncey, he started walking so I passed him, but he eventually passed me back. I got passed by a female...and didn't care, she was seriously cruising and deserved the win. I just didn't care to hurt today, lol. On my way back in saw several of the slower tyler and longview people and cheered them on.

Nothing. I know I ran slow...just be glad I didn't walk for the heck of it or sit and chit chat with the volunteers.
Post race
Warm down:

I came across the finish line and while I'm bent over to make sure last night's party stayed down, Eric said, "You didn't catch him." Chauncey finished about 100 yds in front of me. I then reminded Eric that the guys had a 4 min. lead on us. He was like, oh yeah...so you did beat him! Same thing with Brandon...everyone was like, you almost had him. Well, I did beat him! Ha! I walked around, drank some water...realized I was half naked and freaked out and ran to the car to change. Came back to cheer in the rest of the tyler and longview people. Then it was chow time!! Ah yeah! The best part of racing! I ate a baked potato, spaghetti, and salad. Yummy, yummy! We waited around forever for the awards. Several of the Longview and Tyler people came away with hardware so we did lots of cheering, it was great. I placed 2nd overall for females so not too shabby for a race I didn't have my heart in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What? I thought I was going fast :) It's all been said why I didn't go faster. However, last year my time was 1:33:17 and this year it was 1:27:25, so I improved almost 6 min. I'll take it!

Event comments:

I love this race because it's close to home, it's a great course, it's super relaxed, fairly small, great food, great volunteers, love the local crowd. Y'all should definitely come out next year! I'll show you where Auntie Skinner's is :)

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 880 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sports bra and tri-shorts, agh!
Course: A triangle off Sandy beach at Lake O' the Pines. The water was so warm, could almost see it bubbling :) You could hear the girly girls complaining about the water being green and nasty...umm, it's a lake, get over it.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course is an out and back. You ride out of the park and immediately go up the dam and across out to 2208. Ride out 2208 to the turn around and come on back. Except this time you come back along the bottom of the dam so still have to climb to the top of the dam and come back down on the other side. The course is rolling hills, but nothing major. Closed course for the most part...that was great!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through Sandy Beach park. Pretty flat. Partially shaded. The occasional cloud on the run really helped this year!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Jefferson Sprint Triathlon

2005-07-19 1:13 AM
in reply to: #201819

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-19 9:02 AM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Jefferson Sprint Triathlon
As usual, entertaining RR!  Great race Gina....I love it when you beat all the guys!
2005-07-19 9:31 AM

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
I'm glad I don't live in Texas, I'd be one of those guys you'd be blowing by, except you'd blow by me right off the start line, you'd have your free lunch and your awards before I finished.

Great race Gina, even if was just for fun. Heck, maybe I'll give the 'just for fun' thing a try and see what happens. Oh yea, I did that and won my little short beginners Tri. It's funny how we preform better when we don't pressure outselves too much.

Chris.
2005-07-19 4:15 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job Gina...I'm with you the bike ROCKS...Congrats on the 2nd place too...so great.  Sounds like you had a grat time too. 

Edited by sue7013 2005-07-19 4:15 PM
2005-07-19 4:33 PM

Veteran
Hawkins
Ah, Gina! How you dwarf us mere mortals. Here I am trying to just finish, and you're trash talking on the bike after a night of partying! It must be age. I sure was glad you did the sprint, though--showed us all how it's done!

2005-07-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: #202562

Expert
Littleton, CO

Even funnier than normal - probably because you were just going into it for fun. 

My favorite part is your plan for T2  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed