General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 38m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15AM, had a PB&J and a protein shake. I was feeling good. Loaded up my stuff and headed out.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching and swimming.
Swim
  • 44m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was nervous about this swim. This was my first HIM and any swim beyond an Oly seemed mystical in some way. I feel like I did a decent job (for me). I wasn't really tired or fatigued at any point during the swim, which was the plan all along. I did have an issue with my goggle fogging up and filling up with water. I had to clear them several times during the swim.

My time is a total guess. Well, not a toal guess - a guy was running up to transition next to me and I asked him what his watch had him at for the swim and he said 44 minutes. I decided to adopt that time too. My time may actually be faster, but it really doesn't matter at this point.
What would you do differently?:

Not get body glide on my goggles!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I have no idea what my T1 time was. All I can say is the run up the hill from the swim to T1 was extra brutal today. When I was in T1 I felt like I was going to throw up. I had to sit down to remove my wetsuit and drink some gatorage before I started feeling better.

If I was to guess, I would say I was approx. 2:30 in T1.

Nodda.
Bike
  • 2h 21m
  • 43.29 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I was feeling so good on the bike. I was really nervous about the hills, but the first loop went off without a hitch. After the first lap, I had averaged 18.8 mph. I felt really good and wanted to pick up the pace for lap 2. However, some of the hills slowed me down a little bit more than the first lap.

Mile 43 is where my race ended. While in aero position, and going down hill, I heard a shotgun sounding pop and felt the rear end of my bike let loose. I knew I had a flat at that moment. I was a little cruched because I thought my pace would be affected by the time it would take me to change the flat. Little did I know...............While taking the tire off of the rim, I saw that the side wall of my tire had frayed badly in one section (approx. 3 inches long). I changed the tube anyways, and as soon as I added air to it, it popped again. It took a few minutes, but it quickly settled in and I realized my race was finished. I can't express how I actually felt.

A deputy pulled up to me almost instantly and asked if I needed anything. I couldn't even comprehend what all he was saying to me because I was so shocked that this even happened. Here I am in my first HIM and now it's over like that. I was feeling so good when this happened.

I eventually came to terms with the fact that my race was done and I asked the deputy to call my wife to come pick me up. My wife arrived with our daughters and they all knew how disappointed I would be. They were too. Amanda could barely look at me when she came to pick me up. I know this is a little dramatic on my part, but I felt like I was helpless on the side of that road and all of the hard work I had put in since May was totally wasted. Devastated, depressed, angry, and sad.

Here's the kicker - I just put on brand new tires yesterday to avoid any flat issues. The tire that I purchased must have been defective. I've thought about whether or not it could have been a bad install. I can't see a tire doing that on a bad install, so i'm calling it a defective tire.

Prior to this happening, I was feeling like a million bucks. My nutrition seemed spot on and I was looking forward to running.

Left my rear tire alone and not put a new one on.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

I gathered my things from transition and went home to wallow in self pity and drink beer.

Last updated: 2010-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: 2 laps on a rectangular course
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:21:00 | 43.29 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps on a rather hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-22 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge Half Ironman

2010-08-22 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3057581

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge
I'm sorry that happened man. I imagine it has to be totally frustrating when you are trained and ready to rock it and something like that happens.

Maybe you can take out your frustration on the Deer Creek HIM course next month?
2010-08-23 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Bummer on the tire.  I've seen some pretty good racers change there tires and tubes the night before races and never thought that it was a great idea for me since I pinch the tubes sometimes when installing.  I'd never expect a blow out of the tire though.  I keep some tire boots in my underseat bag.  There made by Park Tool and are suppose to help in case of a side wall blow out, but yours may have been to big.  Just something to consider for the future.

I can't even imagine how bad you felt.  That had to be one of my worst fears doing my first half or full, but as mentioned there's still a few more halfs you can hit before the year is done.  Hopefully you can find one that works with you and your families schedules and put all that hard work to good use this season.

Good luck!

2010-08-23 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Awesome half of a half iron man!

it was great prep for deercreek

and heed your own advice

"What would you do differently?: 
Left my rear tire alone and not put a new one on."

It is best not to try anything new race day.

2010-08-23 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Alright Dan - now that you have wallowed in your own self-pity and drank beer - time to sign up for the Deer Creek half as everyone else has suggested. Hopefully that day will work into the family/work schedule. You deserve another shot at it without having to wait a year! Hope to see you at Deer Creek.
2010-08-24 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
So sorry Dan.
You were totally prepared for a great race. Where did you buy that tire, if I can ask?

You'll get 'em next time.

2010-08-24 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks, everyone. I'm much better now. I'm looking forward to the next race.

Alice, I bought the tire at Performance. It's actually the exact same brand of tire that came on the bike and is a pretty well respected tire from what I understand (Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick). I took the bad tire back to Performance and they exchanged it without question.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge Half Ironman Rss Feed