General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cobourg, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 47m 49s
Overall Rank = 217/225
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

I've been having horrible sleeps lately related to some work stress so I went to bed early but... allowed my daughter to talk me in to letting her sleep with me "for luck" and so basically got clobbered. Then woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep. Finally just got up, packed up & drove to Cobourg. Nice watching the sun rise... knowing it would be a great day temperature wise. I had some yogurt, berries & granola at 4am and then a power bar in the car at 6. Lots of water. Arrived early and drove part of the bike course. Didn't look like anything I hadn't already done. Got to the race site, set up and then stood around chatting with fellow racers - many of which were using this race as training for Muskoka 70.3

This was my first olympic distance race and my goal for this race was to just finish strong with a smile on my face.
Event warmup:

Some dolphin dives to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

When we arrived we were advised that there was a red flag on the beach as the ecoli count was high. We were told we could switch to the duathlon but I figured if I can swim at Cherry Beach - I could swim here! A beautiful beach and the water looked calm.

I've never done a start like this one. There were only three waves - elits and men under 40 were in the first wave, men 40-59 in the second and then all women (55) and men 60+ and relays in the third. It looked big. I've always started the swim in waist deep water but this time we started on the beach and when the horn sounded you ran in. I stayed to the back inside. I was surprised at my running ability in the water and as soon as I could started doing dolphin dives until I could swim freestyle.

The water was deceiving. I felt jostled trying to swim in to the waves. I got slapped in the face which was a first and it was startling but I knew it was an accident and so just kept swimming. I kept telling myself that I would love the waves on the last stretch!

I feel a bit betrayed by my body today. My feet were cold and I started to get cramps in my toes which isn't all that unnatural but I also got a side cramp between 300-600m. I kept going and it finally went away. I turned the buoy and it seemed easier to swim. I swam like a fish in a school with some other women. I contemplated slowing down and drafting but I wasn't having much luck and so just kept the pace. Kind of nice swimming next to someone who keeps the exact same pace. Turned the next buoy and ? Where were the waves to push me back to shore? That stretch seemed so long and I focused on strong arms but I knew I was kicking too much. And then the cramps came back and started working up my legs. By the time I hit shallow ground I was seized up with a big one on the front of my shin. I stood and stretched it out and then swam as close to shore as I could. Again was impressed at my ability to hop out of the water! I'm happy with my pace. It's pretty consistent with my training times.
Transition 1
  • 06m 6s
Comments:

There is a run up the beach to the transition of approximately 200m from the beach to the transition area. This was timed separately at 1:10. The time spent in transition was 4:56 and it was BRUTAL. I couldn't get my wetsuit off and had to sit on the ground and tug away. My feet were covered in sand and I had nothing to rinse them off. I didn't take time to put my socks on and they bunched at the toes in my cycling shoes but I didn't want to stop and fix them. Just grabbed everything and got out of there. I knew I was SLOW but it's really nothing new with me.
What would you do differently?:

The water was actually warm enough I could have avoided wearing a wetsuit. Take more time with my socks.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 21.86 km/hr
Comments:

The first 6km is flat and yet I couldn't get my speed up. My thighs felt so bloody tired and lacking any strength. I just kept it easy knowing what was to come but it was annoying because I really took this week off to recover and rest and I felt like I had no fuel. I was worried about this course but after driving it realized it was nothing unlike what I've done in training and I should have been able to do well on this. I ate a power bar and tried to build some energy.

The first hill had me worried. I felt depleted when I got to the top. The thing on the way out is the hills are spaced far enough apart that you can't use the descent of the one to push you up the next. It's just nasty climbing one after the other. I did have a nice time flying down the one. My computer said I was going 57km/hr woooeeeee! Of course this was offset with my going up at about 7 or 8km/hr. The granny geers got lots of use!

Once past the Danforth there is just this big long climb that switch backs up to the top. I actually didn't mind this one. Got to the turn around and dropped my chain ?! Then sailed down to Danforth. Felt better along this stretch though at one point I realized I had 2 hours of cardio to go and nothing to eat. Someone had dropped a stream of gummy bears and I was drooling. "5 minute rule?" Just keep peddling. The good thing about being almost last is you can sing loudly without anyone hearing you so there was the chant "10 more k la la la"

Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Uneventful. Fixed my socks, had a good drink and off I went.
Run
  • 1h 11m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt surprisingly good for the first mile. Then !!! cramps in the arch of my left foot. Maybe I should have stopped to stretch it out but once I'm moving it's best to keep on moving. Chant my mantra "You - can - do - it!" over and over. Cramps in both feet by 4km. Started drinking Infinit and water at every drink station. By 6km my feet felt like two baked potatoes n the oven but... cramps were gone.

The volunteers were awesome and I made a point to thank all of them for standing around in the heat and picking up all our discarded cups. Some residents set up a shower on the roadside that I ran through every time I passed. Despite my brutal 12min/mile pace I felt great - happy and was enjoying myself. Around 8km I started feeling better and was able to pick up the pace. My death march was coming to an end!! Beaming as I crossed the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with some runners. Had a hamburger and watched the awards. I didn't bring my family because of the early drive so just sort of lingered for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping. I felt really hydrated so I have no clue what was the cause.

Event comments:

I don't know how to answer the "overall course based on my ability" question. I finished in spite of the cramps so I guess it wasn't too hard but I felt like I worked for every freaking mile. There comes a point when people pass you and you can do nothing but watch because you can't give it any more. I accomplished my goal - really happy to have done this race and looking forward to doing a better job next year - the year I conquer the evil tris of my past! My 40th birthday present to myself :)

Last updated: 2010-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 1500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 200/225
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Sleeveless
Course: The swim is a triangular course starting in knee-deep water. The first section of the swim is 610m long with a left turn around the first green buoy - 360m parallel to the shore and a left turn around the second green buoy - 530m to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:49:48 | 40 kms | 21.86 km/hr
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 220/225
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The event bulletin reads "This bike course is one that will give you bragging rights with all of your friends!" The first and last 6km are relatively flat the 28km in the middle has you taking on the under-appreciated Northumberland Hills. There first section is a series of steeper-pitched rollers on Danforth between 6km & 12km. The course then turns left onto Hoskin Rd and climbs for 5km up to the height of land on Great Pine Ridge. The course then flattens out with only some small rollers remaining until the turn-around at 20km. After the turnaround you will have a chance to recover as you descend back down. At Hoskin & Danforth Rd. you will once again tackle the sharp rollers on Danforth. At 34km the course levels off and is flat or gently downhill all the way back to the Transition Area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:09 | 06.21 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 210/225
Performance: Below average
Course: TWO (2) 5km OUT AND BACK LOOPS of a flat course on quiet residential subdivision on wide roads. The far turn-around point marked by a clearly visible sandwich board sign in the middle of the road at the 2.5km point of each 5km loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-28 3:02 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon

2010-08-28 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3069151

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon

Let me be the first BT'er to congratulate you on finishing your first Oly.  Very consistent on all three legs, despite the cramps. You have clearly earned the bragging rights for conquering the under-appreciated Northumberland Hills.   Have a GREAT vacation, well-deserved!!

2010-08-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3069159

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3069151

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon
Congrats on finishing your first olymic distance! You battled through all those cramps and finished strong.

I did love your description of your feet being like two baked potatoes!  Were you hungry?

Anyway, have a great vacation and I hope you feel very proud of what you accomplished - it's not small thing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed