General Discussion Race Reports! » Hueston Woods Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hueston Woods Triathlon and Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
College Corner, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 20s
Overall Rank = 26/186
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4.30am and got ready. Slept ok but with the cool nights had the windowns open and seem to be alot of activity on the street so woke up several times throughout the night but all in all pretty good sleep. Drank a coffee and ate a cliff bar and bananna to get the bowels moving. Left the house about 5:15am for the 1 hour drive.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area. Other than that jumped in the water 5 minutes before the start Temp was just right.
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

So this is my first tri and first ows. The start was odd I started to swim early and my hands were hitting the sand and looked to my right and there are other competitors walking next to me?? Once we rouned the first bouy we were all swimming. I knew I didn't like lake water but I kept swallowing it anyways. I could never really get in a routine.
What would you do differently?:

Need to practice ows alot......alot more! Maybe start in the front of the wave. I let everyone go ahead and started at the back. I started really bumping at the first 1/3 then I could tell the wave behind caught up at the 2/3 point because it got crowded quickly. I will apologize to the guy I kept headbutting in the side but there was some hot on my heals!
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Sat down and wiped off feet and put socks on. I was up against the rail so Jen cam over and gave a few words of encouragement - Like 'atleast you didn't drown' - thanks Jen - Got the shades and the helmet on and out the transition!

Maybe get me one of those fancy transition seats those fast guys had - you know - the 5 gallon bucket!
Bike
  • 44m 11s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I am still amazed how fast some people are on the bike. I get passed sometimes like I am barly moving? Is their $3000 bike that much better than mine or am I not in as good of shape as I thought I was? I do enjoy this part. Eventhough I got passed more than I passed I felt comfortable in the areo position and did not over do it so I had something left on the run.

Find that person that is slightly faster than me and try once to stay with them. Could of swictched to the big gear a few more time but took a cruise and took in some water.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Things went well here.

Coming down the last hill gave me time to get ready and cruise into the transition area.

Get some racing shoes for the sprint races.
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I am glad that I didn't know what was ahead. I havn't trail run since 1992 and it was a decent uphill for .25 ?? Once I got to the top it felt like I was moving a little slow but I notice that I finnaly became the person doing the passing. Mile 1 was about 8min. Sat in a groove thru the turn around and then starting picking things up as I knew the finish was downhill.

Race shoes. Stopped about the 2 mile mark to tie my left shoe that had come undone.
Post race
Warm down:

COOKIES and PBJ -

Did about a 1.25 mile jog once I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The last few months with putting an addition on has really limited my traing time.

Event comments:

Overall for my first time at a tri event it was pretty cool.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 820 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 73/186
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Rectangular 1 loop - very shallow in the start and finish
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:11 | 12.43 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 38/186
Wind: Little
Course: BIG hill out of transition! Out and back - pretty hilly the whole way!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:12 | 03.11 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 16/186
Course: Up hill first .25 on a trail run then pretty flat before retuning down hill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: Hueston Woods Triathlon and Duathlon

2010-08-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3071341

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hueston Woods Triathlon and Duathlon

Very Nice.   You had a great run.   I am with you.   I need more bike time.   12 out of 15 in my age group .  

2010-08-30 10:25 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Good job - especially on the run portion. There are alot of nice races in the area within race day driving distance. Just remember to have fun. And no, you dont need a 3000$ bike to go fast. You do need lots of practice and training though (a sad fact that has yet to sink in for me)
2010-09-02 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congratulations! Awesome run!
I've found that biking is one of the hardest things to fit in. Until I started really prioritizing it and doing a group ride two weekday mornings (in addition to my weekend ride) I really didn't make any progress.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hueston Woods Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed