World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 43m 13s
Overall Rank = 1115/2157
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 42/129
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed at 8:00pm the night before the race and slept pretty well considering. I got up at 3:30am. Ate breakfast - gluten free waffles with peanut butter, banana, ensure and coffee. Then I got dressed and walked down to meet Anne (my coach) and Mike (her husband - he was racing too) at 4:30 to head to the race site.
Event warmup:

Anne dropped Mike and I off at the transition area. I went to my bike and put my Infinit bottle and my aerobottle with water on my bike. Then I pumped up my tires. After I pumped up the rear tire, I could hear the air escaping!! I had a flat tire already. So, I pulled off the wheel, grabbed the spare tube from my bike special needs bag and started to remove the tire. But I decided it might be faster if I took it to the bike techs, so I ran to get in line. It was a slow moving line (at least it seemed to be), so I started to work on the wheel while I waited. I had the tire off and the tube removed by the time it was my turn. The bike tech put in my new tube and pumped it up. I put the wheel back on my bike and took a deep breath - disaster averted! :)

Then I had to find my T1 transition bag to turn on the GPS unit I wore during the race (I am glad I had this for my family at home because I heard the ironman.com website was down most of the day). Then I turned in my run special needs bag. I no longer had a bike special needs bag because I already had to use my extra spare tube. Then I waited for Mike so we could start the very long walk to the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 40m 33s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mike and I got in line for the swim. We were pretty close to the front of the line. I had a bottle of Infinit and a bottle of water to sip on for the 2 hour wait until the start of the race. As we waited in line, I put on some sunscreen, used my inhaler, and put on my long sleeve DeSoto cooling jersey (I planned to swim, bike and maybe run in it). Then they made any friends and family members leave the line so they could tighten the line up. I grabbed up all of my stuff and shoved it in my morning clothes bag to move forward. Then at 6:00am they had the line start moving down towards the start line and started taking the morning clothes bag. I handed my bag over to Anne without thinking about it. But my drinks were in the bag and we still had an hour to the start. That was just stupid of me!! Luckily, Mike brought a jug of water with him so I got a couple of sips of water while we waited (but no more calories or electrolytes).

The swim start went really fast. We were jumping in one right after the other. You had to start swimming immediately to keep from getting jumped on. I thought the time trial start would be less congested than a mass start, but I was wrong. I actually found this race start to be worse than Florida. I got punched, kicked and swam over a lot until we got past the island. I actually got kicked really hard right on my left goggle so hard that it dislodged my contact lens. I couldn't do anything about it then, but after the swim I ended up just pulling my contacts out (luckily I can see well enough without them).

My swimming pace and effort felt good. I was feeling pretty good at first - I didn't even want to quit (which is a change for me). :) I did seem to have some trouble swimming the shortest path though. According to my Garmin, I swam just over 4700 yards. When I was swimming between the island and the shore, I drifted over to the shore and I should have stayed closer to the island. Then when I turned at the buoy, I looked for a good spot on the bridge ahead to sight to. I was doing well with the sighting (I think) and swimming fairly straight. But I guess after I turned around the buoy, I had moved a little out into the river. I always had others swimming around me (and into me). But I breath to the right and sighted ahead. I took a second once to glance to the left and realized how far away from the shore and the main pack of swimmers I was. So, I started to angle back to get closer to the pack.

I also liked the Florida swim better because it was 2 laps. I liked being able to get a quick break between the laps and getting a drink of water. By the second half of this swim, I was thirsty and wishing I had had more water before the start. My calves started to cramp too. This isn't unusual for my - I cramp in most of my races. And I can generally still swim through them somewhat - I just stop kicking and flex my feet while I continue my pulling. But I had one cramp that was so bad that I had to stop for a minute and roll over onto my back to work out. I really thought that I might have to wave for help with that cramp, but I manage to work it out and keep going.

When I finally made it to the swim exit and looked at my watch, I was really disappointed with my time. But I put it behind me and ran into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more before the start!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

I ran into transition yelling my race number. A volunteer had my bag when I reached her. So, I grabbed it, thanked her, and kept on running. The transition tent was crowded. I didn't even try to find a chair. I just ran to a corner and dumped my bag. I put on my bike shoes (they wouldn't let us leave our shoes on the bike) and my race belt. I had sunscreen in my bag and the volunteer sprayed that on me while I worked. Then I grabbed my helmet and glasses and put those on as I ran out.

Nothing. This was about as fast as I could go since I had to run in my bike shoes. I would have prefered to leave my shoes on the bike and run barefoot.
Bike
  • 6h 32m 37s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

For the most part, I think this ride went very well. The pace was a little slower than I would have liked, but not too unexpected. They had the first aid station not long after the 5 mile mark, but didn't have another one until after the turn around on the out-and-back section. So, I knew there was going to be about a 20 mile section at the end without an aid station (and tried to remember that for later). River Rd and 42 up to the out-and-back was uneventful - I just settled into a good pace and got my HR into zone 2. I did notice that there was a lot of congestion on the bike course. I heard a lot of complaints about the IMFL course and the amount of drafting there. But this race seemed just as bad to me. There was a lot of people drafting and blocking. At times it was really hard to pass because there would be groups riding along 3 or 4 deep and 3 across. I saw a lot of marshalls on motorcycles, but I didn't see them giving out many penalties.

I was hoping to be able to pick up some speed on the downhill sections of the out-and-back. But the packs made that difficult. And then when we all had to slow because of a crash at the bottom of the second hill (across from the aid station). I saw a lot of people down due to crashes on the bike course.

I came into this race worried about the hills. But I actually had no trouble with the hills. I think the hills I trained on were harder than the Louisville course. There were a couple of tough sections, but overall it wasn't bad at all. I just tried to keep my HR down in zone 2 when I climbed (spun up the hills) and then pushed the downhills. I was amazed at the number of people that would push up the hills and then coast down them. I came over the top of several hills to find someone barely moving going down the hill. I had to be really careful when I crested a hill because I would fly past people - and they often weren't staying to the right! It is no wonder there were so many accidents.

The only gripe I had about the bike course was that they ran out of water at some of the aid stations. Up until this point I was grabbing a bottle of water at every aid station (and finishing it before the next one) and would grab an extra bottle to pour over my DeSoto jersey to keep cool. I finished my first loop feeling good and strong. But when I came to the next aid station (about mile 60) they had no water. I only carry concentrated Infinit and an aerobottle that I refill with water from the course. So, without water to drink my nutrition and hydration plan falls apart. Not only do I need the water to stay hydrated, but I can't take my Infinit without it (since the Infinit is concentrated). The 70 mile aid station had a couple of bottles of water, so I grabbed one. I was at least able to get some fluids and nutrition in, but couldn't grab any extra to pour over myself. Then at mile 80 they were out again! When I reached the 90 mile station, I had planned to grab 2 bottles of water because I knew it would be almost 20 miles until the last aid station. But I was only able to get one and was happy to get that. By this point I was feeling nauseous and I knew I was getting dehydrated.

I saw a several people lying in the shade on the side of the road trying to cool off during the last 20-30 miles of the bike.

I don't know. I think my ride was going well. I did let my HR get into zone 3 on a few hills, but I really think it was the lack of water that finally did me in in this race.
Transition 2
  • 05m 53s
Comments:

I pulled my feet out of my shoes before the dismount. So, I ran into transition barefoot. When I got into the transition tent, I put on my socks and shoes. Then I changed my jersey. I wasn't able to continue to pour water on the cooling jersey on the bike, so I was feeling a bit warm in it. I let the volunteers put sunscreen on me as I left the tent.

I wore my Injinji socks for the run (toe socks that keep me from getting blisters). I had them rolled up and in my shoes to put in quickly. It would have worked better if I put the right socks in the right shoes! I had the left sock on when I realized it was the right sock, so I had to switch it.
Run
  • 5h 19m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I was already feeling nauseous when I started the run. I was hoping that if I kept an easy pace and got a lot of fluids in the first couple of aid stations that it would get better. I drank some Perform and water at each aid station. I was able to manage a run/walk combo for the first half but my stomach never felt any better. I was able to get in water and some Perform, but not enough. I saw Anne around mile 14 and she told me to try some chicken broth (I also saw my friend Tom at this point - that was a great surprise). So, at the next aid station, I grab a cup of broth. That was a really bad mistake. My stomach went from bad to really bad. Up until that point I just wanted to keep from vomiting. Now all I wanted to do was vomit! I thought I might at least feel better if I did. I knew I needed to do something or I wouldn't finish the race. I slowed to a walk. At the next 2 aid stations, I grabbed 2 cups of Perform and 2 cups of water each. Then I sat on the curb and slowly drank them. I didn't start again until they were finished. For miles 18-20, I just walked. My stomach was really upset even walking (before it would feel better if I slowed to a walk - but no longer). At the final turn around (20.5 miles), I just really wanted to be done. I decided if my stomach was going to hurt no matter what, I may as well try to run. So, I started a really slow run. I continued to walk the aid stations, but ran the rest of the way.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so happy to be done that I didn't even register whether or not they said my name at the finish line. After I crossed the finish line, they handed me a bottle of water. It was only a small, half size bottle - I was really disappointed in this (after 140.6 miles, all we get is a tiny bottle of water??). The volunteer helped me get my hat, shirt and medal, and my picture taken. Then he showed me how to get out. But he didn't show me to any food or drinks! My father was standing at the finish line, so I just left with him. As I was walking away with my father, Tom (TC117) found me. We talked for a few minutes. Then I went back to the transition area to get my bike and bags. Then back to the hotel. My stomach was still very sore and nauseous, so I didn't feel like eating. I did make a bottle of Infinit and drank some of that. I had really bad chills, so I laid down on the couch under a blanket to get warm and fell asleep.

This was one of the most disappointing races I have had. I am happy that I finished the race, but it wasn't the race I was hoping for. I am not sure I ever want to do an Ironman again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration!

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:40:33 | 4224 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 89/129
Overall: 0/2157
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Jump in the water at the docks at Tumbleweed, swim against the current past Towhead Island, then with the current back to the Great Lawn.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:32:37 | 112 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/129
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: River Rd to 42, an out-and-back, then 2 loops, and then back down 42 and River Rd.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:19:38 | 26.2 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/129
Performance: Bad
Course: From transition, an out-and-back on the bridge, then 2 out-and-backs on 3rd & 4th Streets, finishing at 4th St Live.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-31 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2010-08-31 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3073899

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Nice race.  Suprised to read they would not let  you leave your shoes on the bike.

Congrats!!!

~Mike
2010-08-31 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Wow Carol, tough race out here!  You did great considering the conditions.  A lot of people didn't even finish; I heard it had a record breaking DNF rate of 14%.

You did an AWESOME job!
2010-08-31 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Considering the lack of water at the bike aid stations, which is just unacceptable for a race known to be HOT, your time is great! Congrats to you on sticking it out on the bike and run despite bad condtions!
2010-09-01 12:16 PM

User image

Master
I did not have the race I was hoping for either, but I'm glad that we both finished.  I think that on a less-hot course where there was water to drink, we would have done better so maybe the next one won't be so hot. : )
2010-09-29 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
It was so nice to see you...if only briefly! I knew with that heat it would be a rough day for all the athletes and I congratulate you on finishing in brutal conditions and not enough fluids. I find that really unacceptable for an IM event to run out of water.

My coach who finished within 5 minutes of you in IMFL had just a brutal time...she finished too, but had to walk nearly 2/3rds of that run.

P.S. I looked for you in that swim line, but it was almost pointless with so many people that looked the same in the darkness.

Hope David's back is healing well. Keep in touch!

2010-09-30 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Overall you had a solid race. That run was FAST especially since you were feeling sick!

Yeah, finding the food is hard. It's even harder because they make you walk a block or so to get it.

Sometimes I think we are way too hard on ourselves. I saw your finishing time and thought "WOW! FAST!". You said it was a horrible race and you don't think you will do an IM again. Different perspectives for sure. But yes, when you expect a certain performance out of your body and you don't get it, it can be disappointing. For sure.

Welll congratulations on finishing the race and becoming an Ironman again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed