Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Questions for the backpackers.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-07 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: Questions for the backpackers....
My son and I are starting our research into backpack camping.  Questions:

1.  Do you have a favorite useful magazine regarding backpacking?

2.  What items do you consider to be "must haves"?

3.  What locations in or near Texas have you been to?  Would you recommend them?

4.  What item(s) did you buy before you went on your first trip and then never used?

5.  Any other comments/suggestions you would like to give.

2010-09-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3085469

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Questions for the backpackers....
One thing to consider is the length of the backpacking trip, as this will determine what you will need.  Basically, the longer you go, the less "would be nice to have" stuff you can carry.   Think of everything in terms of weight and size.  You want as little as possible of both.  Also, protect you feet at all costs.

My recommendations:

Internal Pack Frames (makes a HUGE difference in staying comfortable.)
Waterproof boots, broken in prior to trip.
Very little cotton anything (too heavy, and collects water/sweat)
Inner and outer sock protection
Foot powder (feel ridiculously good)
First Aid stuff (particularly for feet.  second skin, bandaids, ect.)
Iodine tablets (taste is pretty bad, but easy and light)

Know your route and the water available on it.  Water is heavy, but don't skimp.
2010-09-07 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Nothing beats getting out there and actually doing it.  I would look at catalogs before I looked at magazines.   I would also check your local library for books.   Finally, find an experienced backpacker (or join the Boy Scouts!) and have them show you what gear/techiques they're using.  They'll probably be happy to take you out for a weekend and show you the ropes.

Lightweight and proper-fitting backpack.   Needs to be water-resistant or accept a waterproof in-use cover.
If you're planning on backpacking where you can't collect firewood, a lightweight single-burner stove is a must.   Lightweight cookware that's designed to work with the stove is a plus.   Multifuel is nice if you're going on a long trip where you might have access to different fuels along the way.
Lightweight DOWN sleeping bag.  Down keeps its insulation when wet, and packs up WAY smaller (for the same insulation level)
I prefer bivy sacks for weight, but some people prefer lightweight tents.  Look at both and decide.

Some sort of goretex (or equivalent) shell that is lightweight, reinforced in the shoulder and elbows, and has pockets that are accessible.  
Lightweight, waterproof boots with a Vibram sole and a decent shank.   Remember that you're going to be increasing your load by a considerable amount while backpacking, and boots that might provide enough support for a day hike will NOT be suitable for a backpack trek.

3.  What locations in or near Texas have you been to?  Would you recommend them?

If you come to the indiana/ohio/kentucky area, let me know!

4.  What item(s) did you buy before you went on your first trip and then never used?

I would suggest starting small.  So, buy the bare minimum, and take a short trip.  Find a place close to home where you can do a short hike (3-5 miles) camp, and then walk out the next day.  You'll learn quickly what works and what doesn't.  You'll know within the first mile if you don't have your backpack adjusted correctly, or if you CAN'T adjust it correctly.   You'll know that first night and morning what you need and what you wish you'd had.   You can endure just about anything for a night or two.

Like I said above START SMALL.   It's just like anything, the best way to learn is by doing.   While I do enjoy "roughing it" I don't think that every outing needs to be a suffer-fest.   Some of the best weekends I've spent in the woods entailed a rather short hike followed by a couple of days of good day-hikes, rapelling, and general camraderie.     I've also had a rather rough time on a 50mile 3day hike that I had to abort on day one due to blisters.

Good luck!  I can't wait until my kids are old enough to start to enjoy this stuff.
2010-09-07 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3085494

User image

Master
Beijing
steveseer - 2010-09-06 2:04

Iodine tablets (taste is pretty bad, but easy and light)

Know your route and the water available on it.  Water is heavy, but don't skimp.

A crushed up Vitamin C tablet does wonders for the taste. 
2010-09-07 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Mostly what you will find in my back pack is:
1 as steeveseer said extra clean socks
2 Food..... always extra food it doesn't have to be full meals or extravagant but something to keep you alive 
   if something  happens and your "stay" is extended
3 Water purification system either tablets (yuck) or a filter pump
4 A real hatchet mine is a very sharp eastwing. - This is actually a significant weight item but I have made that choice 
   because I see benefit in it.
5 A small road flare.  You can light anything on fire in an emeregency with a road flare.
6 A good first aid kit.  leave the asprine etc out unless you NEED it and take stuff like tape. gauze pads, suture kit or 
   steri strips, a good scalpel, an emeregency blanket.
7 A good, very sharp knife.
8 A good flashligh or head lamp.
9 Appropriate clothing layers for the climate and season.
10 A .44 mag for bears - again adds some weight but I am a female hiking alone nuf said.

On the "softer" side a good little camp pillow and soft "in camp" shoes are always nice.

2010-09-07 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
I don't know how long you're thinking, or how far off track but just in case some must haves:

1. MAP:- route/locations marked clearly, and knowledge of how to use it without GPS....both of you.
2. MAP:- As above but given to someone not going with you. Even if it's a very simple trip, a few miles off track can seem like hundreds if someone is hurt.  Also provide times for locations and expected contact times if any.
3. GPS and spare batteries (may be easier than map, but definitely still need the map)
4. Suitable footwear/protection ( I echo the above post on the importance of foot care, happy feet may not make the trip, but poor footcare and hurting feet will definitely ruin the trip)
5. Food: spend quite a bit of time looking at food options, there are plenty of light weight foods designed for packing, but please, please try out each one before you go, same as tri fuel, never try it new on race day :-) ( I always take enough food for each day, then add 20%) sounds like a lot, but it actually can be high energy. low weight, so it's worth trying.
6.  a good knife.  Please don't just take a multi-tool (although useful)  purchase a good knife, you may not use/need it, but try and set up camp, shave kindling etc with a blunt knife....no fun.
6. b.  Racing spoon.  google it :-)
7.  Fire starting tools.  OK, so a lighter or matches, no brainer right.....well, if matches fail, lighter breaks, wad'ya do?  cold food....yummy!! cold people..fun!! take some emergency fire kit, if you have an old inner tube take little strips in your fire starter pack, works great as kindling even when wet.  again, try the fire kit before you go so you know what you are doing.
8.  Your backpack itself - is it a new backpack?  have you tried to walk any distance in it?  have you adjusted it with weight in?  do you know how to pack for correct weight distribution?
9.  a couple of wet bags.  sturdy trash bags make great wet bags for clothes, if you put wet stuff in your bag without wet bags, all your kit will get damp and smelly, no fun
10.  Tent: I assume you have one already, what type style?  easy to pitch?  even when dark?  try to never get to the stage where you are pitching a tent when dark, but know how to if you must.
11.  depending on where/when, the correct season sleeping bag and or bivvy bag.  taking a wrong sleeping bag can be uncomfortable and unnecessarily heavy.
12.  KNOWLEDGE:  know what you are doing, how to use all your kit, where you are going, what weather to expect.

there really are ways to carry very minimal  equipment, depending on your duration, location.
enjoy.

2010-09-07 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
1.  I usually pick up Backpacker magazine when I'm in airports... it's got a nice selection of destination stories, adventure stories, tips on gear/travel/safety/etc, and your basic advertisements for all the newest stuff in the field.  But if you're looking for info on how to start backpacking, you're better off talking to people, visiting stores, and just trying things out.

2.   Must haves, and advice:  Your backpack should be your number one concern.  It should fit properly in the shoulders and the hip belt, and you should know how much you can comfortably carry for hours on end (and you know how to pack it efficiently- both in terms of saving space but also in terms of how to evenly distribute the weight- this makes a HUGE difference!).  Likewise, you MUSt have a reliable pair of hiking boots.  Nothing can spoil a backpacking trip quicker than a bad pair of boots.  Accordingly, bring some flipflops for evenings around camp... your feet will thank you, and they don't really add any weight to your pack.
I love my JetBoil camp stove.  It's fast, compact, and super efficient.  Not good if you actually want to cook, but if you are planning to do dehydrated meals (which I recommend, and they're actually quite tasty), you can't go wrong with this stove.  
A good, warm sleeping bag.  Preferably down or lightweight synthetic.  The lighter and more compact, the better... but you can always tie a more bulky bag to the outside of your pack if necessary.  Also, invest in a Thermarest sleeping pad.  They're worth every penny.
Baby wipes!  If you're going to be gone for more than a couple of days, your camp partners will thank you, and you'll feel more refreshed. 
Also... a first aid kit, safety whistles, knife, headlamp, and an emergency rain poncho for your pack.

3.  Sorry, no experience in TX.

4.  Things I would leave at home:  A pillow.  You won't need it, and it takes up a ton of space.  Just roll up a couple of shirts or your jacket under your head (if you have a warm enough sleeping bag, you shouldn't need to wear clothes at night anyway) .  Extra clothes.  Yes, you need at least one spare outfit, and you need a few layers to keep warm.  And lots of socks.  But you do NOT need a week's worth of clothing.  Depending on the weather, you may even want to leave your tent behind.  I love sleeping under the stars, and it saves SO much room and weight from your pack if you're not concerned about the elements.  

5.  Know where you're going, and have maps.  Know your limits and don't try to push yourself too far... start out with very low mileage, see how things go.  Don't go out and drop a ton of money on high tech gear until you've gone on at least one short backpacking trip and decided that you actually enjoy it.  Some people would just rather camp from their car- and there's nothing wrong with that, but there's no need to buy all the fancy lightweight stuff if you don't really need it.  
Definitely check out the area  you'll be exploring- be sure that you know the water situation.  If there is water in the area, have a filter or some iodyne tablets with you, and if not, be prepared to carry about 10 pounds of water for each day you expect to be gone.  
HAVE FUN! 
2010-09-07 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Spend your money on good shoes/boots and socks. Tech fabrics work great for hiking and are easy to rinse and dry. 30-40 feet of parachute cord and the ability to tie a variety of knots will come in handy.

Try a short weekend trip to a nearby state park. Get a drive to campsite and that way you can test your gear before hitting the boonies and finding yourself in a crappy situation. Take full packs and go for some test hikes. Next time you go try some of the camp sites that have walk in access only. When you get a handle on your capabilities, get more adventurous.
As previously posted, get a map and compass. Learn how to use them and don't rely solely on GPS to find your way home. It is real easy to get lost on the trails in our state parks. I was running in one I was real familiar with when all of a sudden the trail ended in a stand of cedar. High noon and I didn't have a clue which was was out. I backtracked and still could not find the trail I should have been on. I suddenly found myself in one of those "dumbazz lost in the woods" situations where a compass would've saved me a lot of grief. I finally got general bearings from an occasional car and got out after a nervous 90 minutes.
ETA- X2 on the baby wipes!

Edited by mdg2003 2010-09-07 2:45 PM
2010-09-07 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh

Outside, Backpacker

Bio-Soap (for extended trips), knife, headlamp (LED), fresh underwear

I know nothing about the state, I'm an east coaster- Shenandoah Valley, Blue ridge areas 

binoculars

tie food high and away from the site...do not sleep with food anywhere near you. wildlife can be persistent and dangerous. i.e. bear, cougar, etc...
2010-09-07 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A lot has been covered so I will throw in my 2 cents.

Water - I carry Iodine tablets for emergencies but my wife and I love our purification pump, lightweight, easy to store/carry/clean and gets us water faster.

Food - the food for every trip is variable depending on conditions and distance. We usually pack for each meal (breakfast and dinner plus snacks for lunch and breaks) plus an extra 1-3 days worth, depending on how long the trip. The farther out we go the more extra food we pack. We stick to a lot of freeze dried and dehydrated food that we can put together at home and then dump into a pot of water when camping. We stay away from the pre packaged camp meals, which are nice enough but more expensive than they are worth.

Drinks: Instant coffee and hot cocoa/tea are great to warm you up and get some quick energy. A trick I use also is if we had pasta for dinner that was boiled, we save the water we drain from the pasta and use it (while still hot) to make hot drinks. The chocolate covers the taste of the pasta water but you get a few extra starchy calories from it.

Essential gear: matches, headlamp/flashlight, good knife, rope/cord, compass, map, canteen/water bottle, first aid kit, layers for warmth or sleeping bag. With those basics my wife and I can do just fine. Of course we add in the additions of our backpacking tent, stove, pots, hatchet, and my fishing pole as well

Backpacking is a lot of fun, and very very worth the effort and initial expense. If you are ever in the Seattle/PNW area I can give you a lot of GREAT areas to backpack in. One other consideration - if you want to backpack with your dog, stick to national forest/some state parks. National parks have regulations against dogs on the trails. Good Luck!
2010-09-07 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3085978

User image

Sensei
Sin City
A lot of good stuff so I won't repeat...  Some less than important things, but are nice:

I agree with the water filter.  I will cary it, it's worth it to me.  Iodine for emergencies only (filter breaking)...

I LOVE the "Nile" soups you can get from Sams (or costco?).  They are dried soups that are WAY better than "cup-o-soup".  Just take them out of the packaging (including styrophoam cup) and put the mix in a zip lock.  It's lightweight, and you can mike as much/little as you want in your camp cup with some hot water.  It's a nice/easy meal while packing.

I love my "whisperlite international" backpacking stove.  I got mine probably 12-13 years ago, and I'm pretty sure, they STILL make them, basically exactly the same.  They burn any kind of fuel, but I still pack white gas as it burns best.

oh yeah!  it may have been mentioned, but I love my headlamp.  Lighweight, great for walking at night or hands free use so you can cook or build up a tent, etc...  I use that 90% of the time but have a backup maglite penlight (and batteries).

They are a bit expensive, but if you have the money and don't mind some weight, all the MRE's available now are amazing.  Nice way to eat.  A bit heavey on the packaging.  I don't like bringing anything in that creates trash that I have to pack out...(or worse, drop or loose or get's blown away).

Edited by Kido 2010-09-07 4:40 PM

2010-09-07 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3086062

User image

Expert
Central Mass
Kido - 2010-09-07 2:33 PM

I love my "whisperlite international" backpacking stove.  I got mine probably 12-13 years ago, and I'm pretty sure, they STILL make them, basically exactly the same.  They burn any kind of fuel, but I still pack white gas as it burns best.

Great stove.  I've had mine for about 10 years - works great, burns anything.  Can't find white gas?  Use gasoline, kerosene, or basically any other fluid that burns...
Not the best in high winds though, and not as light as one of those little top-of-bottle dealies - but they use only one kind of fuel.
2010-09-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3086188

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
scorpio516 - 2010-09-07 6:57 PM
Kido - 2010-09-07 2:33 PM

Great stove.  I've had mine for about 10 years - works great, burns anything.  Can't find white gas?  Use gasoline, kerosene, or basically any other fluid that burns...
Not the best in high winds though, and not as light as one of those little top-of-bottle dealies - but they use only one kind of fuel.

How often do you actually use it with something other than white gas?  I have a Primus multifuel that uses anything as well.  But I never used it with anything except white gas.  Maybe if you take it somewhere international where white gas is hard to find.  But anyplace that has a Walmart or sporting goods store will carry white gas.

My personal favorite stove (of the 5 or 6 I own) is my Jetboil.  Burns hot and fast, packs the cannister in the pot, and is very stable.  I also have the Jetboil Group stove, which is handy for 2-3 people.

For gear that I consider a "must-have", I would forego the tent and sleeping pad, and go with my Hennessy Hammock.  I love it so much, that I often would rig it from my Xterra's roof rack to the basketball pole in my driveway for a little "hammock time" after work.  It's a lot lighter than a tent, and if you have a warm enough sleeping bag (I favor a down 15 degree bag - like this one I got at an REI garage sale for under $50), you are good for the night.

Two other options for water treatment are steripens and MIOX. I've used filters, iodine drops, steripens and MIOX.  I favor the MIOX for taste and the drops for weight.  If you do go with a filter, bring along some iodine or chlorine tabs as well for back-up, in case the filter craps out. I had a trip nearly derail when our filter jammed in the middle of the second day of a 3 day trip with about 5-6 guys.

Firestarting technology is good too.  I like to have at least three ways to start fire, in different places in case something happens. Blue tip matches are low tech, and kept dry work very well.  I also have a butane lighter that is waterproof and then something like this or this to get flame going.  A small package with vaseline-soaked cotton balls works well as tinder, as do potato chips.

I also like to bring along a small nalgene of good bourbon or whiskey, but if you are taking your son, that might not be the best plan.

One more point about the clean socks - keep a pair in a ziplock and only use them when you make camp.  That way your feet have a chance to dry out overnight.  For a trip of 2-3 days, this is less critical, but once you start going on longer trips, dry feet will make you a happy camper.

Yes, I own all the gear I've linked to, it's all been used heavily at one time or another, and it represents less than a third of my gear in all those categories.  There's a reason I am known as gearboy. But I can still pack for a 3-4 day outing with under 25 pounds.
2010-09-07 7:04 PM

User image

These guys make a pretty good filter IMO.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters/

Compas, GPS, fire starter.

Have fun!

2010-09-07 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I like Backpacker for a magazine, as it does have good tips and recipes.  Take their gear stuff with a grain of salt.

If you live near an REI, they do gear rentals for the most important parts you'll need: packs, tents, sleeping bags and pads, stove, etc. 

Speaking of sleeping pads, you don't need to buy the super expensive ones that self-inflate.  A closed-cell foam pad is usually good enough, half as cheap (or more), and lightweight.

In-camp shoes are a must...they are part of taking care of your feet.  Speaking as someone who is constantly blister-prone, silk or poly-pro liner socks and wool socks are key to keeping your feet happy.  If you go to a reputable camping store and tell them you are backpacking, they will help fit you for boots, and the boots will be bigger than your normal size (to accommodate your feet swelling and flattening as you carry a load over a long distance).  Remember that your feet will be sweaty after a long day hiking, and you will need to get them out of your boots and socks and let them rest and breathe.  Flip-flops, harder soled slippers and so on are good choices.  Just something to let your feet out of your boots (so they can dry too). 

My grandfather, who got me into backpacking as a kid, always brought a thin piece of foam from a piece of packing (the thin flexible stuff that gets wrapped around glassware and such) to sit on.  it gives your butt just enough padding to sit on a rock without being too painful.  Duct tape should always be brought. 

Other necessities:  a hot/cold mug/measuring cup.  REI sells them, and you can get them from Campmor (also an excellent source).  It makes it easy to measure out stuff for dinner, and holds your dinner drink, and your hot coffee/tea/chocolate in the AM. 

Can't offer your anything in TX, but check out trails.com.  You can do a free membership trial run, and get all kinds of info on trails in your area. 

2010-09-07 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
oh one other thing! please please please practice leave no trace backpacking! it is very important to the environment and your fellow humans enjoyment of it.

And as I mentioned before about backpacking with a dog, if you do have one you would take let us know and I can post some advice for that too 

2010-09-07 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
How old is your son, and what investment are you willing to make for the gear? 

How long will you plan to go? 

Rule of thumb is to keep total pack weight <25% of your weight.  Below 20% probably means you're paying big bucks and/or sacrificing comfort and possibly safety, but there are people out doing ultralight backpacking with packs in the 10-15# (that's pounds, not %) range.  I'd rather eat well and be comfortable. 

If you can keep your pack weight between 25-40#, an internal frame pack works great in arid areas as well as trails with a  lot of clamoring over fallen trees/rocks and narrow trails.  Get much above 40# or humid, and an external frame pack may be a better choice.  Internal frame packs keep the weight very close to your back (good for balance, bad for breathability).  I can strap anything to my external frame pack. 

You'll definitely want a backpacking stove.  For short trips in moderate (above 40F) temps, the canister stoves offer the lightest weight and a single canister(isobutane, NOT propane) should last a weekend or more.  Longer trips and/or colder weather, get white gas.  Don't count on scavaging firewood (many places don't allow groundfires in the backcountry). 

A small aluminum pot is OK if all you want to do is heat water, but if you want to COOK, get a decent cookset. 

Iodine tablets are cheap.  Vitamin C will neutralize the iodine (both the taste and the effectiveness, so don't add the vitamin tablet until 30 minutes after you've put in the iodine).  I've used Micropur tablets and they don't taste/smell like iodine.  No experience with filters. 

Boots:  If you can keep your pack weight light, you don't need as much support, so the day-hiker (Merrell) boots work well if you're pack weight is 30# or less.  If you're hauling a 50# pack, get the heavy duty (Asolo TPS520, Vasque Sundowner) boots.  I like liner socks under a pair of wool socks.  For a weekend, I'll wear one pair of wool socks, one pair of liners, and bring a second pair of liners.  For a longer trip, I'll bring a second pair of wool and a third pair of liners.  I'll wash liners every day and wool every other day with the third pair of liners for around camp or "in reserve."  Bring something to wear in camp so your boots can air out.  Flip-flops are light, but don't protect your feet/toes.  (I have a pair of water shoes that are smaller than tennis shoes and lighter than the Teva type sandles and it doesn't matter if they get wet.

Raingear:  Get decent, breathable, raingear and check the seams in the shower. 

Bring leather or cotton (lighter) work gloves for dealing with rough or hot objects (like your pot of dinner tipping over). 

Dehydrated food is OK, but you can do OK at the grocery store.  Oatmeal packets, powdered drink (cocoa, coffee, tang), powdered soups, zatarains rice, tuna packets, etc. are cheaper and often taste better (although that is subjective...

Sleeping bags:  Down is warmer and more compressible than synthetic, but doesn't work when wet (which includes if you sweat in it).  I've got a Big Agnes Crystal bag (30F) that uses a pad in the bottom.  I have an air-core pad (an air matress) which rolls up to 4"x6" and weighs 17 oz.  Much smaller and lighter than the therma-rests. 

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Cut the bottom 4" of a 1-gallon milk jug and bring it as a wash basin.  I keep it ready to wash hands the whole time I'm cooking and it saves water over dribbling some from a nalgene every time I do something and come back to cooking.  I also use it as a camp bath (with my bandana), and to wash clothes (it's big enough for socks, a dry-wick shirt, or nylon shorts). 

Last time I went backpacking, I wore bike jerseys.  For me, the pockets didn't cause chafing, and I liked having the extra pockets for camera etc. while in camp.  If you do this, skip the screaming neon kit and go with more natural colors. 

Walking sticks/trekking poles!  If you're over 25, get them and learn to use them (your knees will thank you).  Especially great for downhills where the alternative is your quads stopping your body/pack momentum every step you take.  Also great for stream crossings (think of them as 2 extra feet).  I've got the anti-shock version with cork grips.  V-e-r-y N-i-c-e (make sure you can lock out the anti-shock mechanism if you need them rigid).  They double as poles for a clothesline or dining fly. 

There are a few things I carry and have never used, but I won't backpack without them.  A first aid kid (including both imodium and pink bismuth tablets). 
2010-09-07 9:32 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Lotsa good info.  Keep it coming.

Son is 10 and a Webelo II - going into Boy Scout in Feb.  The big picture plan is to hike to & camp at  the Continental Divide from a family friend's cabin in Colorado when he's 13-15 yrs old.  Starting the research now so we have plenty of experience.

A budget has not yet been set for this.  So far, I'm cruising Craigs List; as it seems backpacking is similar to triathlon - some people will buy high end gear, use it lightly for a year, store it for 3 yrs and sell it. 
2010-09-07 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I have this and it's awesome:  http://shop.katadyn.com/product/153547/8010655/_/Katadyn_Base_Camp

Just fill it and hang it... tons of water, no pumping required, and the water tastes great.

My husband and I have Big Agnes sleeping bags.  The bottom is a pocket for an inflatable pad, which provides both cushioning and insulation, and you can't roll off of it.

Oh, and trekking poles are the most fantastic things ever.  My knees really appreciate the help, and they have saved me from several sprained ankles and falls.

2010-09-07 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
I hadn't even thought about this until somebody else mentioned it... but renting camp gear and backpacks from REI or some equivalent store is a terrific idea.  You can try out certain kinds of gear, get to know the ins and outs of backpacking and camping, and then decide how specific you want to be when it comes to purchasing your own gear later.  Especially if your son is 10, he's likely to need a bigger sized backpack and sleeping bag in a few years when you want to do the more serious hiking, so there's no sense in dropping tons of money on gear for him right now.
2010-09-08 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3086522

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
KenD - 2010-09-07 10:32 PM Lotsa good info.  Keep it coming.

Son is 10 and a Webelo II - going into Boy Scout in Feb.  The big picture plan is to hike to & camp at  the Continental Divide from a family friend's cabin in Colorado when he's 13-15 yrs old.  Starting the research now so we have plenty of experience.

A budget has not yet been set for this.  So far, I'm cruising Craigs List; as it seems backpacking is similar to triathlon - some people will buy high end gear, use it lightly for a year, store it for 3 yrs and sell it

If you live within an hour or two of an REI, keep an eye out for their garage sales.  I get stuff 30-90% off retail, and have gotten enough stuff to outfit a scout troop (literally - I have gotten tent capacity on sale for around 10-12 people).  I even thought about trying to put together a trip using all garage sale stuff - there are always tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and pads, and stoves to be had, not to mention headlamps, watches, bike stuff, etc. So the budget goes pretty far.  Just keep in mind the sales are very popular, and require a very early start to get a good spot in line.

2010-09-08 7:38 AM

User image

Buttercup
I've been checking out resources for my own edification; I plan on hiking the Grand Canyon next year with our very own Max as my guide. Jeff (Q) will be joining us, as well. A mini-BT backpacking excursion! We haven't settled on whether we'll camp overnight; depends on how hardy I become over the next year, I suppose. I'll be carrying a daypack, at a minimum. Unless Max says not to - whatever Max sez, that's what I'm doing.

Anyway, I've found the following sites to be very helpful, speaking as someone who is completely new to hiking/backpacking/camping:

Hikingbeginner.com
Zenbackpacking.net
Backpacking.net
Backpacker.com - checkout their forums

I've been checking into hiking shoes/boots. I am leaning towards the Merrell Chameleon Gore-Tex. I'll probably get these and try them out on various terrains and distances. I want to make sure I have the right shoes when I hit the GC.

The one thing I know I'll be wearing/carrying are Feetures Bamboo/Wool socks. I did a trail run 2 weekends ago - lots of water and mud - and didn't get a single blister even though my shoes and socks were soaked in no time. Very soft socks.

ETA: Checkout the numerous backpacking podcasts available. Great if you don't have time (or don't want) to peruse the various websites or magazines. Listen while you run or drive or whatever.

I like this thread!

Edited by Renee 2010-09-08 7:52 AM
2010-09-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3086833

User image

Expert
Central Mass
Renee - 2010-09-08 5:38 AM

Anyway, I've found the following sites to be very helpful, speaking as someone who is completely new to hiking/backpacking/camping:

Hikingbeginner.com
Zenbackpacking.net
Backpacking.net
Backpacker.com - checkout their forums

If you want to read some really hardcore stuff, look at backpackinglight.com
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Questions for the backpackers.... Rss Feed