Madison, Connecticut
United States
Madison Jaycees
Total Time = 1h 18m 28s
Overall Rank = 37/400+
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/21
Pre-race routine:

Race is <1 mile from where I do my morning workouts. It was my standard morning workout routine. Up at 4:15, throw stuff in car and head over to the Surf Club to set up. I grabbed a nice spot in transition and then had to drive my car about 1 1/2 miles away for my wife. I just jogged back and that was kind of my warm-up.
Swim
  • 13m 39s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went off in the first wave (expert wave supposedly). I think there were 5 waves in total. I decided I was going to be a lot more aggressive than I was in the HIMs I did this year so I lined up a couple rows back and behind a couple guys I knew were gunning for the win. It was low tide so it was a run from the beach with dolphin dives for about 50 yards and then an aggressive swim with people jockeying for position to the first buoy. I didn't hold back and just got right behind the leaders on the run out and just tried to get on some fast feet. HR was high but I just told myself this thing was going to be over in about 10 minutes so just get as far front as you can at the start. Sighting was pretty good with just a couple of corrections. Was getting grabbed a little but nothing bad enough to make me second guess my direction or pace. After the last buoy I could see the main lead pack just ahead about 30-40 seconds up. I was pretty happy knowing that this was by far the best swim I've had in any race. I knew I was within striking distance and my strength was next.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Bad. The run up was good. Wetsuit off was good. I pulled a Macca with my helmet and couldn't get it clipped. I had to take it off and mess with it and then put it back on. I fumbled with it for a bit as a couple people passed me. Cost me about 20 seconds. 66th T1 overall.

Clip helmet on first try.
Bike
  • 41m 16s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The good the bad and the ugly.

I knew I was in striking distance and figured I could throw down one of the faster bike splits of the day. I knew the beginning was flat and fast for 2 miles before starting a few slower miles and then a few faster miles. I hammered for the first couple and quickly passed about a dozen people. Then it thinned out heading into the slower section. I passed my buddy Harv around the 3rd mile before the slow part. Then I eased back a bit and took a drink figuring I was in a good spot after passing some people and thought Harv would be towards the front since he's a strong swimmer. I took in some gatorade to wash the saltwater out of my mouth and then I hit Winterhill right at the 5th mile and dropped the hammer hard. Passed a few more guys and saw a couple guys drafting off each other up ahead. I knew I was toward the front but wasn't sure how many people were up ahead. I passed the guys who were working together and then there was nobody in sight as I pulled on to Nortontown on the 7th mile. I knew there were a couple guys up and I hadn't seen Ellis yet. I thought if I could get him on the bike and build a cushion, I'd have a shot at holding on for a short 3 mile run or at least be in a position for a top 5 finish. I went pretty hard on Nortontown which is fast. Going about 30 mph for a couple minutes I caught a glimpse of someone. I reeled him in and caught him right at the beginning of Wildwood. It was Ellis. At that point I knew I was towards the front because I expected him to win or podium. I had 5 miles left to gap him and build a pad for the run but couldn't see anyone else ahead. I'm hammering along at this point averaging well over 24mph with my legs feeling strong and I had some adrenaline going now from the excitement and the big gear was turning over easy. 1/2 of a mile later right at the 9 mile mark w/ 5 miles to go there is a hard left turn. I came up on it fast and when I tried to break my back tire slid out and I went down hard. Smashed my shoulder/face/hand/foot/forearm into the road. I was going around 30 before I started to slow down. My front wheel was bent a little and my shifters were twisted. I was out of it and the volunteers helped me into the grass, took my helmet off and used their towels to wipe the blood off of my face and arm. I figured my race was over. Sat there for a couple minutes as people rode by. Then they asked if I wanted a ride back but I said I'd try to just spin back myself. My front tire was rubbing my brake a little but I didn't really care at that point. I couldn't go arrow because my forearm had road rash on it and I was figuring I'd just spin back easy the final 5 miles and call it a day. Spinning along I was sort of numb and rattled. People were passing me but at this point my race was over. I came into T2 and saw Stokes coming in too. I figured he must be having a bad race if he was back with me. He looked about as out of it as I did as he ran out the bike exit and had to turn around and run across transition to the run exit. I figured screw it, I'll just run 3 miles and finish at least.

Doing the math I was 4th overall at the point I crashed and was on track to pass the 2nd/3rd place guy on the bike before they would have definitely reeled me in on the run. The first place kid was in a different time zone and crushed everyone. Pissed looking back because I know looking at the results I would have had the clear 2nd fastest bike split and would have been starting the run in 2nd and just had to gut out 20 minutes of pain.

Not crash. Otherwise it was executed well as far as when to push hard and when to back off.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Bad. I wasn't even sure I was going to run as I put my bike down. Saw Ken starting his run and decided I'd run too. Wasn't any urgency. I was like 140th T2.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This is an easy run. Flat as a pancake. I headed out on the run w/ people asking if I was ok and I just kept going. My toe was bleeding through my shoe. Not even sure how I cut my toe in the accident but I did. My hands were stinging quite a bit at this point too and there was some gravel in my forearm that I started to notice. I wasn't really in a mental place to race this so just sort of cruised it. I wasn't really tired since I spun easy for 5 miles heading into T2 but had nothing to gain as far as I was concerned. Figure I could have cut about a minute off of this if I raced it.

who cares
Post race
Warm down:

Tended to by medic. Answered peoples questions 30 times about what happened.

I figured I'd be MOP more after that nightmare. Finished 37th overall and 5th in my AG and basically just gave away 10 minutes. Bike would have easily been in the 34 minute range and with a more urgent T2 and run I guess I'll just have to wonder and wait until next year. It's nice to do a local race and feel like you are fast after doing a couple of bigger HIMs. Those M-dot races are humbling with the level of talent they bring out.

The Good - I feel stronger than ever on the bike and just want to carry it through the winter. Power feels high.

The Bad - I crashed and my Garmin is all cracked and my bike is a little banged up.

The Ugly - I'm all mangled with road rash on my face. Got a pic after I was cleaned up a little by the medic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crashing

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:39 | 875 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 34/400+
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vendetta
Course: Clockwise diamond shape.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:16 | 14 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Overall: 81/400+
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:33 | 03 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 39/400+
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Madison Triathlon

2010-09-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3093830

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Madison Triathlon
Ugh..sorry about the crash..that sucks to have such an excellent race going and then get it ripped out from under you like that..but hey..its still an excellent time even with the crash added in there!!
2010-09-13 4:25 PM

User image

Elite

37th OA? Awesome finish still. Strong run. Feeling any better?

2010-09-13 6:53 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I can't believe you finished after you crashed!  That is some serious HTFU and desire to finish what you started.  Great job Jason.  Rest a bit and heal up. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Triathlon Rss Feed