Revolution3
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 07m 17s
Overall Rank = 65/400?
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/??
Pre-race routine:

This was my first half. I have tried to make the training and scheduling seamless for my family. I brought the whole family + several of my sons friends to Cedar Point for the race and to celebrate my sons 13th birthday. With that in mind, I went on rollercoasters with the kids on Friday and all day Saturday with a trip to Kalahari waterpark as well. This was probably not the best way to prep for the race but I wanted to hang out with the family. I think I pulled a muscle in my back on the mean streak on Friday and was afraid that it would be a problem but it was relatively ok for the race. Next time, less rollercoaster, more rest. Packed my stuff up at about 10 pm on Saturday but I was asleep by 10:30 and had absolutely no trouble falling asleep and sleeping through the night.
In the morning, 2 cups of coffee, large bowl of oatmeal with raisins. Banana. Hammer gel 15 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Got to transition by 6:30 and set up like for any other race. Checked to make sure nutrition was in place on bike.

Ran about 400 meters slowly to get my legs moving.

Wetsuit on, about 200 meters of easy swimming. Thank goodness the surf from yesterday was calmed down. It was brutal in practice swim on 9/11.

Felt the "pulled" muscle from mean streak tightening up and starting to spasm with about 10 minutes until start. Just ignored it and hoped it would not ruin the day.
Swim
  • 38m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a fabulous swimmer but I have been really working at it. I knew that I could complete the distance no problem. Open water swimming doesn't bother me too much so I was not that worried (since the waves from yesterday were gone). My start went great. I breathe bilateral and it seemed like I was getting mouthfuls of water on the left so I breathed on the right more. I was in a pack with several other people for the first several hundred yards and we all beat each other up a bit. My sighting was WAY better than in my last race. The big yellow buoys really made it a lot easier. There was a guy with a suit with bright red accents on it about 5 yards to my right and we swam together the whole race. He beat me out of the water by about 5 seconds. To me, his swimming looked pretty good so if I was keeping up with him I was doing ok (for me). I just wanted to break 40 minutes and I was out of the water in just over 37 minutes (run to transition accounts for additional time) so I was very happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to really work on my technique over the winter. My swim fitness is OK now but I am no longer getting any faster. Masters swimming here I come.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Seemed like I forgot to be urgent in T1. Put on socks per plan and kind of forgot about the shoes (I put them on and run in them). Also forgot to put cliff bar in pocket which had been part of my bike trainning nutrition plan. Nice run and jump onto bike.

The clock is ticking dummy.
Tape Cliff bar to bike frame.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I did not know how hard to go on the bike because I did not want to totally blow up on the run. I was able to average 20 miles per hour but I would like to be able to go much faster. The newly chip sealed roads (15 miles worth?) really slowed everyone down. With some more work by me and a race under my belt I will have a better idea how to pace. I drank too much fluids because by about 30 miles into the ride I really had to pee and then I had to go again before T2. My nutrition was actually great even without my forgotten Cliff bar.

Push just a little harder. Now that I know how much I had left in my legs for the run I think I can push just a little more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Ended up one row over from my rack but corrected quickly. I probably could have bben out of transition in 40 seconds except I had to wait for a portajohn. Oh well.

Not have to pee.
Run
  • 1h 38m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was hard but then my legs got going and I felt great. I was passed by two people and passed 57 people (I think). The run is my strongest portion. Again, I held back significantly because I was afraid that "the wheels were going to fall off." By mile marker 7, I knew there was only a 10k left and my legs still felt good so I was able to pick up the pace. I think my last mile and maybe my last two were under seven minutes. I was able to move up from 20th in my age group to 13th on the run.

Run harder from the start. There is a significant amount of psychology involved in knowing that you can do this. Experience will definitely help in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife and daughter (son was off with friends on a roller coaster).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Training on the bike.

I never felt like I was pushing my CV limits. I always held back to preserve my legs. I may have a bit more in me even at my current training level. With another year of training I may be able to get better. with that being said, at the effort level I put into the race, it was a lot of fun. I was smiling through the whole run.

Event comments:

Great Event at a Great Venue. As we were leaving the whole family was saying, "Dad, you have to do this race again next year." Can't beat that kind of endorsement from your family.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/??
Overall: 120/400?
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Design 2 piece suit
Course: Rectangle, 1/2 mile out, 0.2 miles parallel to beach, 1/2 mile in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:08 | 56 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/??
Overall: 113/400?
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: country roads, rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:38:48 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/??
Overall: 65/400?
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat winding throughout downtown Sandusky
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 1:03 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-09-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3095689

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Great Job Dude! Way to go!
2010-09-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3095689

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Awesome race, and killer time! Wow, what a run!
Pacing is totally something that is learned after 2 or 3 times doing a given distance, I think.
Way to rock it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed