General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntsville Lake of Bays, Ontario
Canada
Trisport North (Subaru Triathlon Series)
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 06m 46s
Overall Rank = 723/863
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/42
Pre-race routine:

I had really only one absolute goal for this race, and that was to finish strong and happy. I had a secret rainbows and unicorn goal of under 7 hours, and a realistic goal of 7 1/2 hours. Having ridden this course before I knew that the bike was going to be a challenge for me, and that it was.

My friend Kim and I went to the banquet on Friday night and met Juniper Jen! She lives just around the corner from both of us, actually, but we've never met. Then I found out that her fiance and I work for the same company only three floors apart. Small world. We also saw a woman we had done Lisa Bentley's training camp with, and that was also great. Then we went back to my hotel room and drank a strongbow. Pre-race hydration.

The Saturday we went down and did a practice swim, which totally reassured me - we swam the whole course, and it was just a majestic Muskoka morning - blue skies and a formation of Canada Geese flying overhead. Just beautiful. We then checked in our bikes and looked around the expo, bought a couple of trinkets...lots of fun. We also drove the run course, which also was reassuring. Then I went back to the hotel and watched the World Championship Triathlon in Budapest, looking for inspiration...

Sunday morning, I woke up way before my alarm, had a gluten free bagel with almond butter and banana and some water. I picked up Kim and we drove to the airport strip and took the bus in to Deerhurst. We got set up and had a chat with Lisa Bentley and Jody, which was fun - such a lot of energy in one small woman.
Event warmup:

Warmup was putting on my wetsuit, making sure everything was protected from impending rain and just walking down to the water. I swam out a bit and made sure my goggles were good and made sure my arms were comfortable, then just waited for our wave.
Swim
  • 46m 46s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I usually hate the swim and I've had some just unpleasant experiences in races with panic attacks. I'm not very fast either, so my biggest fear is being swam over by waves behind me. This swim I had a typical 100 metre panic and then I just remembered that I had already done this course and it was great - just get 'er done. So I started singing Thunder Road - because the harmonica part is soothing - and just started reaching, pulling, breathing, sighting - and thinking to myself, "This is the least painful part of this whole day! Enjoy!" And almost too soon, it was over. This is my absolutely best swim pace ever in a race, and though not fast to the speedy people, it was smokin' fast for me.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to get faster, now that I've corrected some of my bad swim habits. That'll come, though. I'm starting to really like swimming.
Transition 1
  • 07m 51s
Comments:

This is long because of the 300 metre climb up a hill, where I saw LB again and she cheered us all on. I was so excited to come into T1 and see Kim there, because she's a really good, fast swimmer. She was on her way out, mind you, but still! I thought about putting on compression socks here, but I couldn't get them on over my wet legs, so I decided on easier socks - wish I hadn't bothered.

Make a plan and stick to it around the socks.
Bike
  • 3h 53m 17s
  • 94 kms
  • 24.18 km/hr
Comments:

Well this is where my day nearly ended. Something happened almost immediately to my right knee - in behind my right knee. Every push of the pedal was like torture. On top of that, my upper GI went into such spasms that every thing I put in my stomach made me feel like I had swallowed knives. I knew that I had to get some calories in me, so I'd just take a deep breath, swallow my gel/water mixtures and scream at the top of my lungs. I've never had this happen before, and I have no idea why it would happen. My knee became so bad that I was basically pedalling with one leg. I rode all the hills though. I'd see some guys walking up the hills and then these big boys would would scream past me on the way down.

I also caught up with my friend Kim at about 25 or 30 km and we sort of rode together until we almost got penalized. I let her go ahead and then my knee wouldn't allow me to keep up, so she left me. That was OK...I really didn't want to run with anyone. I was becoming miserable because it was clear even to me that I was bonking. I took in less than half the nutrition I was supposed to and I knew I might be in trouble.

Figure out why my stomach was so upset? Check out my bike fit? I don't know. More hill training, less leisurely training rides...you name it.
Transition 2
  • 07m 23s
Comments:

I came in to T2 anticipating that I wouldn't be able to walk because of my knee, but thought I'd give it a try. I put on my compression socks and dealt with other things. Looks like I had a nap and lunch.

Well. What wouldn't I do differently.
Run
  • 2h 11m 31s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 14s  min/km
Comments:

So I started on this run thinking that I would have to hobble the whole thing, but you know, I felt OK.

As I was running out Hwy 60, I saw my husband and two boys driving towards the airport strip to come watch the end of the race. I waved and yelled, "see ya in a couple of hours!" Totally great to see them.

I was finally hungry and my stomach was settling down again, so I ate a bag of Gu chomps, and really wanted more. I couldn't stomach a gel, so I drank some eLoad and just ran. Other than a two-minute walk to eat the chomps, I ran all the way to the turn around, and most of the way back, walking through aid stations. I decided to experiment with Pepsi...wow. The elixer of the gods. It totally lit a fire under my butt and I was able to negative split my run. I ran every hill, for which I'm very proud, actually. Coming down the road into Deerhurst was just great. I felt really strong and happy, knowing that my boys were going to be there at the end. I couldn't stop smiling. Crossing the finish line and getting a hug from my boys was just awesome.

I've been running better this year than ever before, so I'm a bit disappointed with my pace. BUT, considering that I had about a third of the calories I was supposed to have, I think I did alright.
Post race
Warm down:

After coming across the finish line, I had some pictures taken with Kim and my family, we got our most excellent finisher's shirts and hats and medal. Kim and I went to get food at the banquet and that's when the serious lack of calories AND the Pepsi crash caught up with me and I nearly passed out. I got to the table and tried to eat some banana and drink some eLoad. I had a chocolate milk with me, too, and I forced that down and soon I started feeling human again. We collected our stuff and took the bus back to the strip to get the car and then we packed up the bike and my oldest son and I left the resort to drive to my brother-in-law's for dinner. We saw some late finisher's running up Deerhurst drive and we yelled encouraging things - they looked really happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My GI issues and my knee on the bike. I think I have a bike fit issue, perhaps - I had it refit a few weeks ago and it corrected my left knee issues, but I think there was something not right with the right cleat. Anyway, it was what it was. I've been unreasonably disappointed that I didn't make my goal - it's the first time this year that I missed a time goal. When I crossed the finish line I thought I'd never do this distance again, and now I just want to prove that I can do this particular race better. We'll see.

Event comments:

The volunteers were just the most amazing people ever. Awesome awesome awesome. And the people out cheering on the athletes were so great. Lovely location and fabulous support. This is a really tough race for a first time half iron - I'm glad I did it though.

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:46 | 2000 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/42
Overall: 745/863
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Synergie
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:53:17 | 94 kms | 24.18 km/hr
Age Group: 32/42
Overall: 761/863
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly a loop with one out and back stick.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:31 | 21.1 kms | 06m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 21/42
Overall: 584/863
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

2010-09-15 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3100285

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka
Great race report! Sorry to hear the bike was so painful! But you are just amazing for getting through it and coming back to have a strong run!! I am so glad to hear your family made it to see you finish and even though your time goal wasn't met you still took on a challenging HIM and did it!!

The finisher's shirts are just awesome!  I like that there was a separate ladies one! I'll be wearing it all the time.

And great to meet you! We'll meet again in the park, I am sure!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed