General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntsville Lake of Bays, Ontario
Canada
Trisport North (Subaru Triathlon Series)
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 19m 6s
Overall Rank = 519/863
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 37/59
Pre-race routine:

Early morning rise at around 0545 and had breakfast. Ate my usual bagel w/ peanut butter and boiled eggs. We were staying at the Deerhurst Resort and figured to watch some TV and relax, no need to rush when the race started at 0800. It was nice that the transition area was right out our front door. Went out to the transition around 0700 to do some last minute checks on the bike and started to make way down to the water shortly after that.
Event warmup:

Did about 5 minute warm-up in the water.
Swim
  • 41m 11s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had little to no anxiety in the water and the swim felt better then any of my training swims. It was a great morning!
What would you do differently?:

I would pick up my pace in the last 500m next time. I had lots of gas left in the tank and played it safe for the swim. It was my first 70.3 race and wanted to finish strong.
Transition 1
  • 06m 43s
Comments:

It was a bit of a run from the swim course to the transition area. I did put lots of my body glide on the legs to help with taking the wetsuit off but I was more intrigued by the race itself and got side tracked with my own race.

I would maybe use the wetsuit strippers at the swim exit. Also, I could of had shoes when I exited the water and running on the concrete to T1 with barefeet wasn't that fun. Could alwayd be faster but like I said, I was enjoying my first 70.3 by taking everything in.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 34s
  • 94 kms
  • 27.71 km/hr
Comments:

Bike was feeling good and I was maintaining a 30km/h pace until about km40 by left knee started to hurt. This was my typical runners knee from overtraining coming back to haunt me. I managed to suffer through this and use my right leg as a crutch. However, this dropped me to 27km/h pace. At this point, I just wanted to start my run. I ended up drinking way too much on the bike, I think b/c it was cool out it helped me from sweating so much. I managed to refuel on the bike but not as much as I thought I would need for the race.

Go harder on the bike if my knee wasn't hurting.
Transition 2
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

Don't use tri shoes and remained in pedals until the dismount line.

Use tri shoes and practice my dismounting. Not take as much time in my T2 but I had to use the washroom from overhydration on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 02m 51s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

This is normally my strength but I was not feeling it and the knee wasn't either. We got lots of rain on the run and it made things nice and cool. I felt like I could of stepped up my pace but this being my first 70.3, I just wanted to finish strong and time wasn't in the back of my head. Plus, stopping to walk was not an option and that only made things hurt more. Overall, the run course was better then expected and it made my day when I was leaving transition to start my run and Pro Female Mirinda Carfrae was running in for the win. I should of gave her a high five when it was only me there but I was in "ahh" at that time!

Give high fives!!! LOL!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do one. I usually have an ice bath in training but I was enjoying the moment with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overtraining, leading to injury on the course. Room for improvement.

Event comments:

Volunteers were awesome! Race was one of my best experiences ever. Having the Pros like Craig Alexander and Mirinda Carfrae there to race was inspiring to me and others. I recommend this race to everyone and especially Canadians. Having this race in our backyard gives a great feeling of fulfillment. I will hopefully do doing this race next year and hope others train hard and will give it a shot. Hope my race report has helped to understand how fun and challenging it can be. Always remember why we love this sport so much and you'll have fun in your worst of times! Happy Training and Racing!!!

Last updated: 2010-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:11 | 2000 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 42/59
Overall: 538/863
Performance: Good
Suit: 2010 Zoot Synergy
Course: Great swim course. It was from point A to point B with no laps or anything like that. The water was warm and it was nice that the course was in a Bay. The tricky part of the swim course is actually when you come out of the water and have to run about 300m uphill to the transition area, made things interesting.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:34 | 94 kms | 27.71 km/hr
Age Group: 43/59
Overall: 559/863
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Lots and lots of hills!!! This bike course is as quoted by Craig Alexander "one of the hardest bike courses in the world"! Its challenging and fun all at the same time. There were some flat parts of the course and even some false flats so it is easy to hit some fast speeds but there are lots of hills too. The course was a bit wet and it started to rain at about 50km of the ride for me. It made things slick but it was light rain to keep things cool out there. Some newly paved roads too but there was some bumpy roads too.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 98
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 04:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:02:51 | 21.1 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 37/59
Overall: 455/863
Performance: Below average
Course: Lots of hills here as well. Mainly uphill until the turn around point and then mostly downhills from there. Lots of aid stations with gels, water, pepsi, salt and gatorade. About every 2km. The last 6km or so is on a narrow path (paved) but lots of short turns and little up/down hills. This made it painful on my knee. They mark every km so you know how far you have left to go. Running into the finish line is nice and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

2010-09-17 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3103512

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka
Great job!  Congrats on a strong finish! It is awesome that such high caliber pro's come out and staying at Deerhurst is the best! I think I'll be back for more too! :D
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed