General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntsville Lake of Bays, Ontario
Canada
Trisport North (Subaru Triathlon Series)
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 46m 59s
Overall Rank = 661/863
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/31
Pre-race routine:

So, it took me a while to screw up the courage to register for this race. My fiance has done it twice and he proposed to me last year after he finished. It was perhaps some overconfidence at the time. I had an idea I could do it but swimming, oh the swimming. I had done two try-a-tri's and a sprint the year before the swim had only gone well for one of them. Anyway, I decided i would just have to work hard to get my swim in order. I could do this!

We stayed at the resort where the race is based and we had a great time on the weekend. The athlete banquet was great and I managed to embarrass myself. I had emailed the race directors becaue I wanted them to mention Darren proposing to me at the race when he finished. But instead, Lisa Bentley totally called me out and told the story to the banquet! Anyway, we were also totally excited to meet Craig Alexander who we saw almost immediately going in to register for the race on Friday night! I met ptri and some other super nice athletes!

On saturday just a quick practice swim and bike check up and we were done!

On race morning I just got my bags and gear into transition. Pumped up my tires. Ate an english muffin with hagel slaak (Dutch folks will know) which maybe is not the most nutritious breakfast but worked for me. My parents arrived just as we were getting our wetsuits on. It was chilly out so I got half way into my wetsuit before Darren was saying he really needed to get down to the beack.
Event warmup:

Nothing too major. I went off to the side of the swim start with my parents to watch the first few waves go off. D was in the second wave. I headed over to the area where the groups were being coralled at the perfect time as they were shepherding my group into the water for a warm up swim. I did 5 or 6 strokes out and back and i was good.
Swim
  • 46m 49s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

So the gun went off and i stayed behind the fray getting in. I waded to about thigh height and didn't wait any longer. I decided to get into it. The swim is definitely my weakest discipline and anyone that has followed my racing knows that it hasn't always been smooth.

I started stroking and counting. Going to breathe every two just to keep it under control. I made the mental effort to tell myself 'I can do this' repeatedly. I realized about a minute in that I forgot to start my garmin so I did a wide arm stroke and started it. Oh well. I stayed wide and when I would sight I could still see blue caps ahead.

I made it to the first turn bouy and then cut in closer to the bouy line. It was really grey out so it was a little tough to see and by the second turn I had no idea how far along I was. I was counting breaths. Doing 2 strokes, then three, then two. The wave behind started to come up and I wasn't swimming all that straight. The water was so murky that it was hard to tell when someone was nearby until they were right next to or in front of me.

It was mostly white swim caps around me now and alot of my wave was now gone. Whatever. I was really doing this and I was calm and felt good. I even smiled to myself in the water. On the final straight away i think I accidentally grabbed a guy in the crotch which made me laugh. this part of the swim seemed extra congested. Then, there i was - at the stairs. Two volunteers practically lifted me onto the stairs and there it was. I was done the swim!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a good as I could do. I only learned to swim two years ago and the fact that I swam front crawl smoothly the whole way with absolutely no panic was a huge victory in itself!

in the end i was 30/31 in my AG and 748 overall - but I think I was the happiest out of everyone!
Transition 1
  • 05m 27s
Comments:

Ugh. The run from the swim exit to transition is brutal for this race. Thankfully I had lots of adrenaline flowing through me because I booted it. I did see my mom just on the other side of the swim exit! There are wetsuit strippers which after a bit of fumbling on my part I took advantage of! From there the run is on a golf cart path and then road up a steep hill into transition. My poor tender feet were hurting but there was no stopping in my vocabulary.

In transition i did fumble at bit but managed to get out of there. I wasn't sure about arm warmers but i shoved them over my wrists with the intentions of pulling them up while riding.

Just be more sure footed. I kept forgetting my garmin. I should have popped it off for the wet suit strippers and have been the first thing I put on my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 45m 44s
  • 94 kms
  • 24.99 km/hr
Comments:

So the bike course for this race is notoriously difficult but I had biked the course twice in training and felt like I could handle it. I wouldn't be fast but I was hoping to keep about 25kph.

I left transition with my arm warmers aroun my wrists and my sunglasses in my bento box. I wobbled a bit as i pulled them up and got out my glasses. The first stretch was interesting because with the hills riders clump up into groups. People would pass me on the descent and then slow down on the ascent. I passed a number of people on the ascents and found the pattern a little annoying. It was awesome flying down Dwight Beach Rd. The road was slightly wet so some caution was needed.

I was with a small group for a while. I saw a number of people in the first 16k or so out with tire troubles. But then at some point on the highway I was all by myself. I was all by myself for a good while. It started to drizzle at one point and I could barely see. I was very happy to have the arm warmers as i was pretty chilly for the middle section. I sang to myself a bit and told myself I could do this and I was in fact doing this.

I had a couple of near bathroom emergencies but they seemed to go away. Going through Dorset was awesome! It seemed that half the village was out cheering. They seemed excited to see a girl. Here was the only hill I hadn't practiced as I always went around this part when we trained and it was tough grind. A bunch of us were just crawling up. I didn't take a new bottle or stop and motored on.

I was still largely on my own when I got to Baysville and the next bottle exchange. I turned on to Brunel road and to my right was a lake and I saw a beautiful Heron perched in the lake. It was around here that there was also a house with free range chickens roaming around. I was getting anxious for the end of the bike leg with about 30k to go so i was looking around.

The last 15k or so are definitely the hardest. I recruited my triple chain ring a few times so i didn't burn out and we clumped up again and that same ascent/descent thing was happening again. Anyway, one girl came up to me and we had passed back and forth for much of the course so she chatted to me a bit. Noting that i looked fresh. She screamed as we crested one of the last hills - I would have too had I had the breath for it!! It was awesome coming into the resort and hearing all thep people cheering! I saw my family and it was just great!

Not much. I just have to become a stronger cyclist.

I was 23/31 in my AG and 727th overall.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I really don't remember much. I was pretty efficient. I peeled off my arm warmers as I know how much I heat up when I run. I stuck a couple of gels in my pockets and got the heck out of there!

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 06m 44s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 01s  min/km
Comments:

I surprisingly ran strong right out of transition. I saw my family and did some mad waves in their direction. I was all smiles!! It was starting to rain again. Just that light drizzle and I came upon a girl who seemed to having a rough day. My first split was WAY too fast - somewhere in the 5:10/km. I felt good and had told myself to see if i could run the first 5k. I took water at the first aid station without stopping and up the first couple of hills. Out on the highway i started to slow but was still running strong.

My main aspiration was to run to the half way point. It seemed like a long way out to the turn around. I saw Darren (my fiance) on his way back when i started up the big hill just off the highway. That lifted my spirits. I knew it was him right away! My quads started to lock up so I pulled out a gel and got water at the next aid station. I took hits off that gel for a good while and the cramps seemed to subside.

I finally got to the turnaround where there was a timing mat and the guys there were fun. I don't remember what they said but i do remember them having a sense of humour. There were some fun spectators - one older gentleman asking where everyone was from and seeming to enjoy the parade by his house. Once past the turnaround I was jubilant! I was on my way back and the bulk of the work was done!!

So many people commented on my smile and I couldn't peel it off my face - I was just freaking grateful to be doing this!! I told a number of volunteers I was really looking forward to getting my medal. Haha! I kept on. I promised a check in at 15k and i felt good. I got off the trail at 18k and my right IT Band was getting tight but i was sooooo close now i just kept up the pace.

When I finally got back to the resort the crowds had drastically thinned but people were still cheering me and telling me I looked strong. The lap around transition had people packing up banners but I was waving my hands in the air and smiling from ear to ear as though I had won the race!! My family and Darren were all at the end.

Nothing. The run turned out much better than I imagined and better than my training would have suggested!

I was 16/31 in AG and 514 overall. Definitely moved up!
Post race
Warm down:

None. Darren and the rest of my family were there. We got our finisher photos taken - one on my own and one of Darren and I together. (He was already showered and changed). I almost missed out on collecting my finisher shirt (so nice!) and hat. I drank a few cups of power recovery drink and then grabbed some post-race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure that I really care about that for this race this year. I only learned to swim two years ago so I just need more pool time. I need build up my strength on the bike. And well I had a bit of an issue with my run volume. That said I am thrilled with my result. I didn't know what to expect and thought that 7 hours was realistic.

Event comments:

This is a very challenging course but a really fantastic race. Love the caliber of pros and the field - i just didn't really see them since I was in the back. But it is also fantastically well organized. It was fantastic for a weekend away in the Muskoka region which is just beautiful. It is 99% probable that I'll be back for more next September!

Last updated: 2010-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:49 | 1900 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/31
Overall: 748/863
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course in a lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:27
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:45:44 | 94 kms | 24.99 km/hr
Age Group: 23/31
Overall: 727/863
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:06:44 | 21.1 kms | 06m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 16/31
Overall: 514/863
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-19 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

2010-09-19 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3106884

User image

Regular
Toronto
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka
Awesome, awesome race Jen! Your run was incredible. Next year you will crush this puppy! Congratulations on a great race and even better attitude!
2010-09-19 4:57 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
WOO HOO!  You rock!  Solid performance!
2010-09-19 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
Congrats to you as well!!!  Strong finish!  Glad you enjoyed your experience, it was pretty awesome!  I do remember Lisa Bentley calling you guys out at the banquet....thats pretty awesome.  Good for you guys!  Hope to race in Muskoka next year but if I can't due to work, I'm already looking at Calgary 70.3 in July.  That way I can get my 70.3 fix....lol!  Once again, great job at the race and happy training! 
2010-09-22 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Burlington

That was you who got called out at the dinner!  Hahaha congrats on the proposal and the great race!

2010-09-23 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Congratulations on a great race!
If its okay with you, I have got to print out this race report and giving it to my fiance! After the race she told me that some day she would do a 1/2 Iron.
Your race report will be really inspiring, thanks!

2010-09-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3114406

User image

Extreme Veteran

I second that - very inspiring!  Congrats and thanks for a great race report!

2010-09-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3114406

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
crmorton - 2010-09-23 2:34 PM Congratulations on a great race!
If its okay with you, I have got to print out this race report and giving it to my fiance! After the race she told me that some day she would do a 1/2 Iron.
Your race report will be really inspiring, thanks!

Thanks for reading!! Of course it's cool with me to share with your fiance! That's kind of how I started with tri's - seeing my now fiance do Ironman Canada in 2007. It was awesome to watch and I wanted to do it too. Then I watched this race two years in a row ... it was enough for me!
2010-09-24 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Wow, you did such an awesome job out there - I hear Muskoka is one of the toughest 70.3 courses! Congrats, Jen!!!!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed