United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 03m
Overall Rank = 8899/38132
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 347/2267
Pre-race routine:

Two good nights of sleep. Up with the coffee at 4. PBH. I have a hard time eating more before a race, but ended up feeling hungry just before the start. Stretched and rolled everything out. Babysitter got to the house and we took off.
Event warmup:

For races in Chicago that start downtown, we just hop on the blue line by my house. We were surprised to see that our corner is the new hot "track." All I could hear as we walked by was the clomp clomp clomp of 6 inch platform heels. Better get to the next neighborhood watch meeting. But I digress. We got to Grant Park about 635, found gear check, hit the portas and went to our corral. Took pictures and sat around.
Run
  • 4h 03m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I never felt awesome on this run. But it started out ok. I went out too fast, but not insanely so. Took a Gu at 1 hour and that is where I started feeling wonky. I drank at every water station but that Gu sat in my tummy like a rock. I tried Jelly Beans about 45 minutes later and couldn't really get them down so I gave up on that. I held on to a great pace until 13.1 and a respectable pace until 20, but things really started falling apart around 17. I can't explain it, but all of a sudden I felt like I was at a rave or on drugs or something. My music was pounding away but I couldn't really hear it, I was running, but it was like someone else was doing it, and I couldn't really register the crowd or the other runners except like they were all one big mass of movement. I was lucid enough to think, "Hey, I might pass out or something and then I won't be able to finish." But not lucid enough to think, "Maybe I SHOULD stop." I started to walk while I was drinking water. Then as the agony in my legs, back and neck really kicked in, I started to walk the ENTIRE water stop. I ate one more gu, hoping it wouldn't make me any more nauseous, and it didn't. I think I took Gatorade once, but mostly stuck with water. Pour on head, head, head, neck, back, left leg, right leg. Mile 21 was where I started to sob once in a while. I know, pathetic. I hated me too. Then about mile 22, I actually started to get kind of combative. Like I thought about yelling and screaming about how much I hated marathon, with lots of foul language. In retrospect perhaps it is a good thing I didn't share my inner monologue with the crowd. Psych ward restraints would have been painful in my state. I gave up on music and just listened to the crowd and the ranting in my head. Every time I walked a water stop, I considered not starting up again. But it hurt just as bad to walk as it did to run and my aerobic system was under-taxed anyway, so I always started back up again.
What would you do differently?:

Not sign up for a marathon.

Drink more course Gatorade...that would have gotten me a little more nutrition while I was feeling like I had rocks in my stomach. I am not blaming this on nutrition though.

I went out too fast (a bad habit of mine that I have previously gotten away with) but not so fast that I should have felt like I did at 17. I trained all summer in the heat, I did 3 20 milers with decent mileage. I really really tried to train right for this thing, and I am confused as to why the wheels fell off so hard.

Experience may have played a part...I had no idea what to expect the last 6 and I certainly didn't expect to feel so awful so early on, which made for a LONG last 9 miles. Maybe next time I will be more mentally prepared for the end. My problems at the end were definitely partly mental and there was a point where my mindset went from fighting the race to simply suffering through it. I really hate to walk.

I have to say, it is going to take some convincing to ever get me to attempt this distance again. I really didn't like the training, the taper was terrible, and the race was a death march. But, like BabyDaddy said, it will be tough to leave it on this note. We'll see.
Post race
Warm down:

Kinda had trouble walking a straight line, light headed, so got some support from a nice volunteer at the finish line. Found BabyDaddy on the "grassy knoll" and we both blurted out at the same time ohmygodthatwastheworstraceofmylife. We didn't even stay for our free beer (see I TOLD you we weren't right)...it seemed too far to walk and there was no shade anywhere. Pizza for lunch and Hooter's wings for dinner!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The things that always limit. Fitness, experience, plan, plan execution, emotional distress, the desire to cuss loudly. I need to find a way to blame all this crap on others! OH and WTFWTFWTF with the blisters??? Who is to blame for blisters from shoes I have worn for 3 20 milers with no mishap.

Event comments:

I have nothing to compare it to but it seemed very well run. I have seen much smaller races that were more disorganized than this.

The Tribune's sunny "Heat didn't impact Marathon" really pissed me off. I ran the last 6 with my husband last year and I certainly didn't see any of the following: A woman holding her stomach like she had been shot, another woman lying straight out on the pavement, with her friend yelling at her, "JUST STAY AWAKE!!!", two dudes just rolling on the ground in agony less than 400m from the finish, another dude weaving and projectile vomiting 50m from the finish.

I seriously may need counseling for PTSD. Sheesh.

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
04:03:00 | 26.2 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 347/2267
Overall: 8899/38132
Performance: Bad
Course: Tour of neighborhoods. North then West then South then back to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %3.6
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-10-11 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2010-10-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3144926

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon

Edited by quincyf 2010-10-11 11:22 AM
2010-10-11 11:30 AM

User image

Melon Presser
CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER!!!!!!!!!!

Way to HTFU!

Be good to yourself. It may have felt bad and confusing, but the BEST marathon you ever run is also going to feel that way ... except it'll also have TONS of good and clear and perfectly in control in the moment, too.

Unless you make yourself run a marathon under conditions you shouldn't, that's actually the worst it ever gets. And you made it, and you made it GOOD, and you made it STRONG, and you made it FAST.
2010-10-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3145031

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
TriAya - 2010-10-11 12:30 PM CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER!!!!!!!!!!

Way to HTFU!

Be good to yourself. It may have felt bad and confusing, but the BEST marathon you ever run is also going to feel that way ... except it'll also have TONS of good and clear and perfectly in control in the moment, too.

Unless you make yourself run a marathon under conditions you shouldn't, that's actually the worst it ever gets. And you made it, and you made it GOOD, and you made it STRONG, and you made it FAST.

What Yanti said.  Great job, Q.
2010-10-11 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Great report and funny.  If you can't keep a sense of humor, makes it hard to get through.

However, you did complete the race!!!

Congratulations

P.S. I think alot of people have their inner self swearing, so actually making it heard probably wouldn't be that suprising.
2010-10-11 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Q-

Your training for Chicago was excellent.  You are really fast too.   As far as I can tell you did everything right training wise.  It was really rough out there especially on the second half.    Be proud of yourself.  Lots of carnage out there.

I also suffered through it and missed first my optimistic goal, then my realistic goal, then my beating last year goal.  before deciding to just get to the damn finish line!   

Just want you to know that it's not always like this.  oh the pain and suffering are there but with better times!

Worst part?  EVERYONE seemed to forget that corral "C" was supposed to be the best smelling corral.   what was that smell???   lol     

2010-10-11 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Way to suck it up and finish. My Dad ran that race as well and he had a lot of the same issues. He said it was horrible. 
2010-10-11 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome job on a hot hot day.  Next year, push the kiddos and they can carry water for you!

2010-10-11 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Trust me. Marathons are not supposed to be that hot! I roasted to death on the second half. I had a 1:37 slit at the half (on pace for BQ) And finished with an almost 30+ min 2nd half split! The heat an lack of shade hurt everyone. Last year I did MCM with a 9 minute better time @ a high of 55 and it was a cakewalk compared to Chicago! Keep your head up and next year pick a traditionally cold spot for 26.2.
2010-10-11 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Brian, Mark, Maggie, Carrie, Dave, Yanti, Dineen:

Thank you for the replies.  Everything y'all said was inspirational and helpful.  Today was surreal...I kept telling myself, "Dude (I call myself Dude), you ran a fcuking Marathon yesterday."  And Dude doesn't believe it.  Weird.  Hopefully that was the worst race I'll ever have (ya right).

Oh and Dave, we were sitting in the C corral, just minding our own business-es, and the obligatory stinky dude came and wormed his way in front of us.  He was eyewateringly stinky.  WTF man?  Was that you???  harhar. 

Mark, when I can't run anymore, the little dears will surely push me in a big old lady stroller, right? I mean if I raise them right.

Cheers y'all.  As always, time heals all wounds.

Heart,
2010-10-12 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Sounded brutal. Way to finish.

2010-10-12 2:47 PM

New user

I don't know what your goal was but 4:03 is frackin' awesome! Especially when it's so hot that people are dying all around you and stinky men are present.
2010-10-12 3:53 PM

User image

Way to gut out the final 9 miles, and still almost go sub 4 hours!!  I took a quick look at your logs, and if they are correct you over-tapered.  Just one 2.5 mile run in the final week is really under-tapering.  The rest of your training looks fine.  I've found following a plan especially during the high volume (when I get very fatigued) and during the taper (when again I am fatigued and feel wonky and crappy) really helps me stay the course.  Pretty much not running for 6 days and then starting too fast on a hot day was what happened. Regardless, way to Suck It Up and cross the tape with a very respectable time!  I did the Steamtown Marathon Sunday, where it was 33 degrees at the start, and word spread quickly that it was 84 degrees in Chicago.

2010-10-12 4:59 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
You made it through a BRUTAL day for marathon running. F the Trib-even people I know who were able to put up decent times still suffered from the heat. My experience was similar to yours and I swore off the damn marathon at mile 24, but here I am today, trying to decide on my next one. Had you run in temps similar to last year, you'd have rocked it. Be proud that you finished.
2010-10-12 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
I love your race report!!  Completing a marathon is an amazing feat and your time was awesome!!

I'm pretty sure if I saw those things at the end of any race, I'd be done for life....

Friend of mine did this and was struck with horrible leg cramps around mile 22, said the heat was just brutal.  I was out Sunday running and I just felt for you guys...

Keep it up and get em next year!
2010-10-13 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks for the kind words Darren.

Laura, I am a stinky guy magnet...it's my karma to arrive at races smelling fresh as a daisy and have my personal space invaded by a guy who obviously considers deodorant his personal enemy.  In the gym the converse is also true...I almost  ALWAYS end up next to some dude whose personal workout routine involves dousing himself with giant quantities of drugstore cologne seconds before he steps out onto the gym floor.

Bobby, I switched my last long run the week before from Sunday to Saturday...I did 8, 4, 0, 0, 2.5, 0, 0, 2.  I hadn't considered the possibility of running too little in the week before the race.  I stuck to a plan pretty religiously but the first two zeros were supposed to be a 3 mile run and 4x400, so that is what I SHOULD have done.  I was fighting several taper issues the last week and maybe the lesson for next time is not to drop any runs.  Thanks for the analysis.

Mchutka, your friend was not alone.  I am trying to get my DH to write a race report as what he did was basically heroic.  He started with leg cramps at mile 13...they actually made him fall down once (both legs seized simultaneously).  He had to alter his stride so much that his muscle soreness is probably 2x what I am experiencing...

Jim, I quit marathon too.  I also was abducted by aliens, got slipped a roofie, converted to several different religions (and subsequently forsook them).  At the end I simply counted to 10 over and over again.  I don't know why, but counting gets me through when nothing else will.  Miserable.  So, what marathon are we doing next?  Hahahaha

Edited by quincyf 2010-10-13 8:14 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed