Paramount Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 27m 13s
Overall Rank = 1646/
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 73/157
Pre-race routine:

the race did not start off to a good positive vibe. I was upset to have to close my business on Friday (my only source of income) to go to a mandatory meeting by 3 at the latest and then bike heck in by 5. I drove to Miami Friday with a friend ot do all of this only to find that the mandatory meeting was a joke and not mandatory as well as the bike check in was extended to 8 pm becasue of their lack of organization. So, sure i was pretty peeved at loosing a day of work for no reason.
I decided what was done was done and put it behind me.
The check in was disorganized and there was a long line, which come to find out, was only for people who did not have USAt membership. I jumped line and checked in fairly fast. got my lame schwag bag and moved on to the meeting, which was in a small area of the room. People mostly sat on the floor or stood. pretty unprofessional if you ask me. at the end, the guy from paramount got on stage to tell us that there was an INDY pro here to sign autographs. Oh, yay

Ok, checked into my hotel and settled in before heading ot dinner with other members of my tri club. WEnt ot bed by 9.

Up at 4 for my pb and toast breakfast and rested til 5, then up and out the door to tranistion by 5:30. I don't know why, but I didnt feel myself this morning. I had a stomach bug for the past 2 weeks so was still a bit dehydrated and had a lack of energy,
I got my area set up and took pictures with friends but I dont think my heart was in this race anymore. Mentally ,something was up.
Event warmup:

We couldnt get in and do a warm up swim, so I took a few jogs to the the hotel for the bathroom nad ran back to get my legs moving. Then got in the line to get ot the dock for the swim. I found this to be very disorgannized and there should have been seperate corrals for the caps or at least signs for waves. People were pushing through to get to their wave and it really was a mess.
Swim
  • 54m 6s
  • 2200 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

We all linesd up and when it was our time to get in the water, I got to the end of the dock and looked down to make sure the previous girl had moved...but before i could tell, I was being pushed off the dock. Totally uncool. My friend got dumped on and injured her leg I am not sure who gave this guy permission to literally shove us off the dock ,but that is not acceptable.

the swim was fairly crowded and i got pummeled for most of the swim. I at times thought I was having a great swim considering i had a shoulder injury the past 2 months and had to stop swimming for the past 3 weeks. I jsut followed to crowd ahead of me sicne there were barely any bouys and I think maybe 4 lifeguards for the entire course.
What would you do differently?:

nothing..hopefully not be injured right before the race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

there was a decent long run to my bike, but I did well without missing my rack. Got my helmet on, glasses and shoes nad I was off.,

I was happy with my transition
Bike
  • 3h 15m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I was expecting there to be many more turns..I know there was a ton, but really expected them to be even more and quicker. I couldnt believe how much pack riding and drafting was happening.
My first 28 miles was strong and I was happy to see I might end up at 3 hrs..My goal was 3:15, so I hit it, but I was thinking if I could keep my pace, I would be at 3. I forgot there wuold be a bit of wind on the way back sicne we had decent headwind going out.
I reached the first aid station and i think it was the only one that had water bottles..I grabbed one and it was barely filled...ugh.. had left my water at the transition area, so I really needed water.
Ok, so I'll get it at the next one. Well got to something that I think was a station ,but basically a guy with a cooler..the water stations were a joke. They had cups that you had to pour into your aerobottle.

The cops were great and one even ran to me when I had one of my bottle fly off my bike..He brought it over...very helpful and they also cheered us on :)

the last 28 miles was a bit tougher for me. I dont know why the wind is such a mental battle for me. My legs were getting fried and I tried to make sure I was in my HR zone. i trained in zones, not pace and wanted to work my race plan perfectly that day. My HR was a bit high for the last 28 but I couldnt drop my pace anymore without feeling like a slowpoke, and have people zoom by me.

work on my mental game
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

when i got to T2, I had so much infinit on my legs from the bumps and it flying onto me when I went over a bump..So I had to wash my legs a bit..then grabbed my shoes and visor, race belt and off I got.

I was a bit out of sorts on this but for a long race, I was ok with my time..I usually smoke T2
Run
  • 3h 10m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had trained well for the run (aside from running this many bridges)and felt confident I could do this in 2:30..

I started the run and was already shot. i have no clue what happened but i really just didnt want to finish. My club had a tent right along the beginning of the run start adn I ran by them and thought just do your plan. Run 9/ walk 1. and you will do great! 3/4 mile into it, I saw a temamate cheering me on and I stopped to talk to her and tell her I was already done. She urged me on and told me to stay with it. I tried my best but walked so much . I walked up the brigdes, ran down, walked around underneath and ran to the water station. it was a mess...my brain was a mess and I was near tears. All i was trying to do was think how I could just quit. I have never quit a race before and my first half I had 2 herniated disks and I never quit them. I would pass teammates and they were cheering me on as they also struggled. The water stations were not prepared, there were no porto potties and no gu's etc. I was cursing the race director at this point. I had to stop and go to the bathroom in bayside...
As I came in for the second lap I saw my friends wife and was almost bawling and telling her I wanted to stop. She tried consoling me and telling me it would be ok and I could do it. I passed my tent and then saw my friend from earlier. I told her I wanted to stop. I basically told everyone I could that I wanted to stop and Couldnt do it anymore. She was yelling at me and telling me to go . Just walk it if i had to. I was literally blocking my ears like a kid and crying and shaking my head so I couldnt lsiten to her. My coach finally came over and I told ehr I wanted to stop. She told me it was my decison and I had to be ok with it, but she really knew I could finish and I need to get out there adn then she yelled at me to go. All I remember is they were putting suntan lotion on my arms and it was all white paste and I started crying cause I was white and looked funny...I am not sure how i got shoved along and back on the course but i was off and running again. I guess I was finishing. the second loop was slower and I walked most of it. on the 6th run on the bridge I saw a guy puking, many guys cramping..some shoving ice down their pants..people digging into ice bags and shoving their arms into the buckets of water. It was a hot mess.
I saw my training parter in front of me and all Iwanted to do was catch him and then we could finish together. But by the time I got him, he was cramping so bad that he couldnt walk for more than a few moments. SO he made me go ahead. I was so sad..but thank goodness I ran into another teammate and we wlaked and ran together for the last 2 miles. I dont think withuot the help of her and the rest of my teammates, I would have finished...I am happy i did it, but yeah, not my prettiest race to date...

Ha! no clue..was a hot mess this whole run.
Post race
Warm down:

When I finishedm, they did not have any cold towles or shirts. People were waiting in line for shirts which ended up being a free for all and people grabbing them. found my friends and hung out at our club tent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need more training on long distance by myself..long rides by myself and run bridges if that was the course has

Event comments:

I give this race a F. the organizers did not have the swim course or the bike course permits approved til the moring of the race which caused the race to start late. the lack of water and fuel on hte course was a joke. I would not do this race again..

Last updated: 2010-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:06 | 2200 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/157
Overall: 1272/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Traingle..Head north and round bouy..to another bouy nad then head back into shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:52 | 56 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/157
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: down to Cutler bay nad back..not really sure
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:10:23 | 13.1 miles | 14m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/157
Overall: 1626/
Performance: Bad
Course: Over the brdige 8 times..thats all I have to say!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2010-11-01 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Miami

2010-11-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3188151

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami
I apolgize for my negativity..I know that 2/3 of my race were good but right his moment its hard to focus on that whne hte run and the race were so poor..
2010-11-01 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
No need to apologize, I would feel the same way.  I am sorry you had such a hard race, I think most of us have had at least one, but I think it's more difficult in the longer distances with so much build up.  Give yourself some time and use the energy to build in the off season.  Best wishes for a fabulous 2011 season!
2010-11-01 2:21 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Wow, looks like it was a tough day made tougher by less than optimal race conditions (hot run) and poor race magament.  Take heart in that by finishing that race and overcoming the desire to stop is a sure sign of victory ... and strength that you can take to your next race.

My hat is off to you for completing the last miles and pushing yourself to the limit.  That is true perserverence!
2010-11-01 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Congratulations! we all have a super bad race at one point and that is what makes us stronger ;-)....I also suffered in this race and agree with you 100%..it sucked all around.

Happy training...;-) Have a great 2011 season!!

2010-11-01 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I wouldn't have known your run was going bad when I saw you, you looked great!   Agree on all complaints and I will have a few new ones listed when I get time to do a race report.    All I knwo is that you looked 100% better than you did after Miami Man a few years ago so training has to paying off!    I had same feeling mentally throughout the race.   In fact I was actually hoping for a flat on the bike so I could have the excuse to DNF (I even chucked my spare tube half way through to make decision easier if it happened  

Anyway, great race regardless and always good to see you out there.   Will have to catch up for training ride or run one of these days.  

2010-11-01 7:06 PM

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
Way to hang in there and keep going to the finish.  Good job on a really tough day only made tougher by an inadequately organized race.  We all gained some kind of experience that will help us in future training & races.

Joe
2010-11-01 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Piper - one mental game I play on the bike headwinds - I learned it from one of the Hawaii IM shows:  just think you're a straight arrow cutting thru the wind, get low and pedal hard.  Do this in any headwind situation... now if I could find a mental game to help me cruise up a DAMNM BRIDGE...

Hope that helps!

I have to ditto and APPLAUD every single Miami/Dade cop that was out there that morning.  They "stole" the show from the organizers and I did not hear anyone thanking them at the end.

If you know one of them - please, give my personal thanks!  Cool 
2010-11-04 3:34 PM

User image

New user

Wandering T2
Don't apologize for the negative feedback. It's intended to help athletes make informed decisions regarding this race next year.

Hopefully WTC taking over will have positive results.  This is the second WTC event that I've completed and the second one that I felt was run poorly.  I get more for less money with non-WTC triathlons.

Congrats on sticking with it and finishing this one.  By the second loop of the run, I had come to realize that there was nothing to look back on during the day and think "this was fun" so I questioned whether it made sense to continue as well.

Edited by DavidCarr 2010-11-04 3:35 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Miami Rss Feed