webster, ma
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat a bagel with cream cheese, but no dice. Some coffee, a souple of sips of red bull, and a mouthfull of gu. Surely not enough.
Event warmup:

Got into the water and swam about 50 yds. I realize its way more peaceful to wait in the water and swim than wait on the beach.
Swim
  • 19m
  • 825 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

It took me until the first buoy to get my goggles situated comfortably with a tight fit. Finally as I turned the corner of the first buoy, I thought, great i'm all set now. I started out swimming, trying to find my groove that I know I am capable of. It's such a mind game, but managed some intervals of nice swimming, exchanging out with backstroke, which I am able to make productive
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles are on SNUG!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Okay, so...i managed a better transition time than last year, (which was over 10 minutes). The walk from the water to transition has to be about .25 mile. Then the walk out of transition with the bike is way too long on rocky terrain (you have to walk it out). Naturally, walking back in is the same!! So those of us which are older had the longest travel with cleats and walking out bike out of tranition. Not so bad with sneakers for the run.

Maybe try having cleats hooked onto pedals and doing the run with bike to mounting area barefoot.
Bike
  • 55m
  • 20 kms
  • 21.82 km/hr
Comments:

I need the most improvement with my cycling. I am a very weak cyclist and this really is getting me down. SOOOO many women passed me. I don't mean they just passed me, I mean the flew past me. It was like what a child must feel with the grown ups on grown up bikes and I on a tricycle. What is up with this???? I wish I can blame it on my bike...but I know this is silly, it is me! I had to get off the bike on two hills about 1/2 way up the first and 3/4 up the second. This was so disappointing. I'm not sure if it was the feeling I might puke that made me get off, or that I gave up trying thinking I can't do it. Even on the striaght aways...they were flying past me. FLYING!!!

Nothing different as far as doing the race or how I handled the logistics. Its in the training that I need a difference. Actually, I should have hydrated more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This went very smooth with the exception of the very long run/walk to mounting spot.

leave cleats on pedals and do the long run/walk barefoot.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a pleasure. I got my groove at about mile 2. Makes me want to start doing Olympic distance so that my groove can be more enjoyed.

I kept a very slow pace and probably should have pushed it harder. My heart rate stayed at about 155-160.
Post race
Warm down:

some limited stretching and i got an ice pack for my knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

in swim...the darn goggles.
on bike...my darn whimpiness.
on run...i should have pushed my pace more.

Event comments:

It was a great event with over 2000 women. I believe I performed poorly, but overall still a wonderful experience.

The exciting thing was that I was directed to go out with the elite wave, (first)! They wanted the Team Danskin coaches and workout leaders to get back to cheer on the team. I felt like a movie star leaving with the elites!!

The timing folks messed up my timing because of the wave change. It should be getting fixed. Until then I don't have splits. I think I did the race in 2 hours. Getting off the bike to walk it up those two hills killed my time. (well that and being S-L-O-W in all the events had something to do with it). The good news is...I have plenty of room for improvement!!

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 825 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course: Sort of an inverted triangle. Out to the right around buoy 1, then swim parallel to the shore. Turn left on buoy 2 and swim at angle back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:00 | 20 kms | 21.82 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: The first 6 miles is the most hilly containing 3 more pronounced climbs. The rest of the course is very do-able and fairly flat.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: fairly flat
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-31 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: Danskin

2005-07-31 6:43 PM
in reply to: #212213

Champion
Subject: RE: Danskin
Way to go Nikki. I thought you did real well. Glad to see you ran the whole way too, that's a big improvement right there. The biking will come, just keep at it and build that solid aerobic base! Congrats on a fine result! It was fun to meet you all.
2005-08-01 8:48 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Hey Nikki - we need to get some new tricycles! SO many people passed me on the bike as well. That course is really hard for a non-biker. Hope your times come in soon. It was great to meet you yesterday.

Congratulations!!

Amy
2005-08-01 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Nikki...great race..you have recovered from surgery and now you are running well during a Tri....neat you got to start with the elites since you have been helping others become triathletes...shows what kinds of person you are giving back.

We will need to get together and train...some day....I quite my job so once I get back to MA will have more time until I find something else.

Great Job....it sounds like it was a great exp.!!

2005-08-01 2:45 PM

User image

Congratulations Nikki.  You had a summer and a half with travelling, surgery, etc.  but you committed to your goal of helping other women do their first tri and you raced too.  You are one tough cookie!
2005-08-01 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Nikki -- great to meet you yesterday! You had a great race, don't be disappointed! Sounds like your run and swim were especially great. Looking forward to hearing more about the Team Danskin experience.

2005-08-03 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race report!  Sounds like you had a good race apart from the bike.  Although that time still looks fast to me even though you didn't think it was!

2005-08-07 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Congrats on your tri- don't be so hard on yourself- you DID it- you finished- you were NOT the dreaded last one in- and I'll bet you learned lots ...and hopefully enjoyed yourself. Good for you !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Rss Feed