Port Republic Athletic Fund
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 31/223
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/32
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with friends at the shore, so had less than a 30min drive to the race site. Despite sofa bed, had a pretty good night's sleep. Had a Clif Bar for breakfast and one Gu about 15min prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching on the beach during the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 13m 15s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

We started on the beach by the water's edge. This was the first time I did a running start like this. I got stuck behind several people for the first 100m or so and swam with my head up a lot to try to figure out where to go. Since I was towards the back, at least it was mostly me whacking others.

After I got clear, there was a group of swimmers that pulled away long before I had the chance to try to draft, so I swam pretty much on my own. On the way out I got into a pretty good rhythm and felt I was swimming well & relaxed. Turned easily at the buoy and headed for home. Since the return path angled away from the buoys, I seemed to have a harder time navigating and bumped into another swimmer at one point because of this. I did get back on course, but I lost a bit of the relaxation I had on the way out and my HR was climbing somewhat the rest of the way.

* The swim time includes T1 which I'd estimate at a little under 2min. I think the swim was shorter than the 1/2mi advertised.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get towards the front on the beach. Remember to stay long & relaxed.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a little trouble with the wetsuit coming off, but not too bad really.

Get the wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 55m 5s
  • 20 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

NO FLATS!!!

Really not much else to note besides that. My HR gradually came down after spiking up in T1. I was able to keep a pretty steady pace the whole way and I knew that while the course appeared flat, it was slightly downhill on the way out and then slightly up on the way back. Since I started in the first wave this time, I only passed a few people on the bike and was passed by a few as well. I drank about 1-1/2 bottles of fluid and took 2 gels (1 towards the end to prepare for the run).

**T2 time is included in the bike. Probably less than 1min.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went smoothly.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

So this was the first tri I have done where I got to the run without a "rest" (flat fixing) on the bike. Again, I only passed a couple people and was passed by a few as well. I was holding near 7min/mile pace and was expecting to pick it up for the last mile. When I got to the 1mi marker, I didn't really feel I had much left to go faster. But apparently I was moving faster because I clocked the last mile at 6:07--by far the fastest mile I've yet run.

Learn to drink out of a cup while running. I tend to gag on most of it and if this had been a longer run I would have had hydration issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and took several trips to the food pavillion.

Went to watch the award ceremony for the Bambino Biathlon. My son Jack did his first race there. The kids went while we were out on the bike, so I didn't get to see it. But my wife said he was a little tentative at the run start since there were so many kids in front of him (they set up by age and he was in the last group). Same thing on the bike, but overall he did GREAT!!! Took 2nd place in the 5-6yo AG with a time of 15:48 (finished right in the middle of the pack overall)!

He won a nice lucite award and got his picture taken for the local paper with the other winners. And of course, his highlight was a coupon for a free ice cream cone at the local General Store.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race went about as well as I could have hoped overall. I suppose I could have gone a little faster if I had been training and tapering for it and there were a few individual things I could have done better. But again, on the whole I don't think I could have done any better than I did. I'm quite happy with it! And it was great to share it with Jack!

Event comments:

A very nice, well-organized and low-key race. The race for the kids is a really nice add-on for families. Good food and a nice long sleeve-T more than make up for no finishers medal.

If we can swing a room at our friends' beach house again next year, we'll probably be back. Though I'm tempted to just spectate and watch Jack (and maybe Emma next year).

Last updated: 2005-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:15 | 805 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 51/223
Performance: Average
Avg. HR - 161
Suit: Full westuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:55:05 | 20 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 39/223
Avg. HR - 166 (came down from 170+ after T1 to settle in 164-165 area most of ride)
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course. Mostly flat, though out was slightly downhill and back slightly up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:30 | 04 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 36/223
mile splits: 7:03 7:12 7:08 6:07
Course: Flat. Loop course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 9:10 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Jersey Genesis

2005-08-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: #212482

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Subject: FINALLY!

A great race! No Problems! That had to be driving you crazy those last few races!

Congratulations! Looks like you had a nice race!

What do you have left?

2005-08-01 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: Great race....

It looks like all those miles on the bike really paid off.  I'm very impressed with your time, I'm glad I'm not in your age group!!  Are you doing Lums Pond Sprint in August?

Bmac

2005-08-01 10:42 AM
in reply to: #212520

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Great race....
Congratualtions, John.

Must be nice to have a tire that works properly.

Man, you are getting fast!!!
2005-08-01 11:57 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Jersey Genesis

Thanks guys.  It was definately nice to get through the bike without having to get off before the finish.  I'll admit though that at one point when I heard a pebble or something "ping" out from under the tire, I was ready to panic as I listened for the dreaded hiss.

All I've got left for this season is the Diamondman Half Iron next month.  Though I'll admit, I'm sort of wondering if I can get enough running in to do the Philly Marathon in Nov.

2005-08-01 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Do the marathon! 

Awesome race John!  You kicked butt!  and too cool with your son racing and winning an award!

2005-08-03 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Great race! Glad to see you finally got through one without having more than one bike dismount.
2005-08-03 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Nice job!

Hopefully you got the flat tire thing beat. If you are doing the Diamondman you may want to look into doing the Lum's Pond Sprint on 8/15/05. Same location and the bike for the Diamond man bike course is a combo of the Lums Pond course and the Brandywine Duathlon Course. I'm doing it as a training event for the Diamondman, but its a USAT Regional Championship so a speedster like yourself will have plenty of competition.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jersey Genesis Rss Feed