General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2010-11-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3200126

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Mixing of training plans especially one for a Mary and one from an IM may be a recipe for issues.

Many coaches and plans max out long runs at 2.5 hours for many reasons but mostly ability to recover and keep training consistently.

First IM I did 18 and 20 miles runs but my long runs were a huge percentage of my overall run volume as I only ran 3 times a week.

Second IM I ran 4 sometimes 5 times a week. I did two 18 miles days first was 14 am and 4 pm and second was straight 18. I did a number of 16 mile runs and last one was 10 days before IM. My first and second half of my IM mary werew within 7 minutes which I was pleased with.

This year I ran 5 times a week when healthy but had knee injury and surgery and was undertrained on the run.

Next year working with my coach I suspect I will run 5x a week with long runs of 2.5 hours and may do special training week with focus on a longer run maybe in the 3-4 hour range but would change the rest of my training that week to allow recovery.

For me I find consistency is the key not hitting xx miles.

Some folks get caught up in doing xxx miles. I understand that but feel training so I can consistently train and my long runs each week don't mean I dont' recover well is best for me.

2010-11-15 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Woo hoo! It's going to be a long year but I'm looking forward to it!

Currently working on a plan to get my bases all up to where they need to be. Ran 2 marathons this fall so the run is solid. The bike and swim leave something to be desired. My plan is to maintain a half mary base through winter while building up the bike, then the swim. It's kind of difficult to come up with a long-term plan at this point since I travel a lot for work (different city each week). So I anticipate alternating focuses on swim/run when on the road and bike when I'm in town (or traveling to a client within driving distance).

Sigh. It seems overwhelming at this point, but this dream is real and something I've wanted to accomplish for years. I'll figure out how to make it work.

2010-11-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3209965

User image

Veteran
Auburn
snorman - 2010-11-14 7:37 AM I am in for IMFL 11 and it will be my first at the IM distance.  Volunteered this year so that I could be there for onsite registration and see the course.  I did my very first sprint triathlon three years ago at Panama City Beach.

Best of luck to everyone over the next year of training.

Stacy Norman
Auburn, AL 
I think I ran into you volunteering at the finish line.  We have a group of three that signed up and are training for this race in Auburn this year.  Come join us.
2010-11-16 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Nice video!  Well done.
2010-11-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3210123

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-14 10:31 AM
LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-14 8:30 AM Hey guys, I made a little you tube video of some of my pics from IMFLA 2010  if anyone is interested.  I know I spent countless hours looking at other peoples videos before the race so I thought I would share.

This is my first attempt at something like this, but I am happy with the result.  I can't figure out how to get the speaker icon off of two slides, I don't have enough bike pics and the quality on you tube doesn't do some of the real pics in power point justice, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCO1clGIvE

I'll be back home tonight.  You guys have fun running today and I'll catch up Wed.

Cool video Adam.  That last picture was awesome...would be a great avatar.
2010-11-16 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Got signed up online! This will be #2 for me after IMSG earlier this year. A long lag time between A races, but God knows I can use the training time. Very different race for me since it's flat... a whole different training focus. I am really pysched to swim in the Gulf though, really an  impressive site! I'm not thinking it'll be easier, but just a different kind of hard.

2010-11-16 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Loved the video Adam!! Got teared up just thinking that will be in a year. Thaks for posting it. Your family was also inspiring and hope to have that much love at mine.
2010-11-16 2:54 PM

Hey everyone! Have read BT forums for a while. Just now joining! Follow iamtri a lot also.  My wife Susan and I volunteered at IMFL and signed up for 2011.  We just completed IMKY in August and had so much fun.

Looking forward to getting back into it!

For those that have done IMFL before, this will be my first time really swimming in the ocean.  Any tips, etc.  My biggest worry is having anxiety from openness, depth, waves, etc...

Tim
2010-11-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3210079

User image

Regular
Fogelsville , Pennsylvania
Great video!!!  I can't wait to experience IMFL.  This video is some nice motivation.
2010-11-16 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
The more I read, the more I believe we should be training based on time and not distance. Swimming might be the exception, but not necessarily.

First, time based training helps your time management, which I think is a big issue, specially when we start to increase our training volume and it becomes harder and harder to stick to our training plans (life sometimes gets on the way!).
Second, the combination of time/heart rate workouts have proved to keep you away from injury, because you are doing only what your body under different circumstances can do(listen to your body); weather, sleep, sick, injury, etc.
and last, like Kathy mentioned, you are giving your body and mind a chance to recover.
A key factor to success in this game is PATIENCE!

Again CONGRATULATIONS to all the IMFL 2010 finishers!!. You have a big job this year, sharing all your experience with us first timers!!!

What ever works to keep you away from injury, that's the winning formula. If you want to be faster and beat a certain time, that's very personal, I think you have to be VERY CAREFUL and realistic!!!
I think that it is way more frustrating not being able to finish a race or even not being able to start a race, than not achieving that time goal you've been dreaming of.

After finishing my first HIM I had about 2 months to get ready for the NYC marathon, and even though I was fully concentrated on running for those 2 months, coach Mike Ricci (BT and D3 Multisport) strongly suggested not to go over 2.5 hrs and he insisted it was not necessary.

As far as mixing training plans, I wouldn't recommend it. BT and other training plans can make emphasis on what ever discipline you want. But mixing a tri and a marathon training plan, again quoting Kathy, might be a recipe for issues.

Lets hope for a healthy completion of whatever training plan we all decide to follow, they are all good, I think it is more a matter of having faith in it and being consistent and PATIENT!!!

Good luck to all
2010-11-17 12:19 AM
in reply to: #3210079

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

In China, I'll have to wait to watch your video  Yell you tube not allowed here....

LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-14 9:30 AM Hey guys, I made a little you tube video of some of my pics from IMFLA 2010  if anyone is interested.  I know I spent countless hours looking at other peoples videos before the race so I thought I would share.

This is my first attempt at something like this, but I am happy with the result.  I can't figure out how to get the speaker icon off of two slides, I don't have enough bike pics and the quality on you tube doesn't do some of the real pics in power point justice, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCO1clGIvE

2010-11-17 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3214260

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

boxer - 2010-11-17 12:48 AM

The more I read, the more I believe we should be training based on time and not distance. Swimming might be the exception, but not necessarily.

First, time based training helps your time management, which I think is a big issue, specially when we start to increase our training volume and it becomes harder and harder to stick to our training plans (life sometimes gets on the way!).
Second, the combination of time/heart rate workouts have proved to keep you away from injury, because you are doing only what your body under different circumstances can do(listen to your body); weather, sleep, sick, injury, etc.
and last, like Kathy mentioned, you are giving your body and mind a chance to recover.

Again CONGRATULATIONS to all the IMFL 2010 finishers!!. You have a big job this year, sharing all your experience with us first timers!!!

What ever works to keep you away from injury, that's the winning formula. If you want to be faster and beat a certain time, that's very personal, I think you have to be VERY CAREFUL and realistic!!!
I think that it is way more frustrating not being able to finish a race or even not being able to start a race, than not achieving that time goal you've been dreaming of.

After finishing my first HIM I had about 2 months to get ready for the NYC marathon, and even though I was fully concentrated on running for those 2 months, coach Mike Ricci (BT and D3 Multisport) strongly suggested not to go over 2.5 hrs and he insisted it was not necessary.

As far as mixing training plans, I wouldn't recommend it. BT and other training plans can make emphasis on what ever discipline you want. But mixing a tri and a marathon training plan, again quoting Kathy, might be a recipe for issues.

Lets hope for a healthy completion of whatever training plan we all decide to follow, they are all good, I think it is more a matter of having faith in it and being consistent and PATIENT!!!

Good luck to all

I think if you are a decent runner this is probably OK but for those of us who are SLOW 2.5 hours won't get me to the 1/2 way point in the marathon in an IM.  My body needs to know how to handle more than that.  If you run 3-3.5 hour marathon or even a 4 hour marathon I think its probably OK.  ANd that people is why they make vanilla and chocolate.  Not everyone can do the same plan and be successful. 

2010-11-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3214400

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Socks!!! so glad to be training with you!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks for your help and tips on my plantar fascia-tis. Is almost gone, finish the marathon with no problems there. Maybe a little discomfort on my left Achilles Tendon.

Well, here we go! I know it's a long road but in great company is a lot easier.

I will have to agree with you on your vanilla/chocolate coment!!! But remember how many people was getting injured towards the end for last IMFL? That's why I quoted Mike Ricci, he insists that not only you don't need to go beyond 2.5 hours, it might hurt you. It's a lot of pounding on your body.
They recommend two weeks off your feet after a Marathon, I don't see anybody taking any time off after a 3+ hours "long training run". And not matter if it is vanilla or chocolate, we are all made the same, and might  or might notend up paying a high price for too much demand. So why gamble? I guess I am getting old and too conservativeTongue out
Socks - 2010-11-17 8:02 AM

boxer - 2010-11-17 12:48 AM

Good luck to all

I think if you are a decent runner this is probably OK but for those of us who are SLOW 2.5 hours won't get me to the 1/2 way point in the marathon in an IM.  My body needs to know how to handle more than that.  If you run 3-3.5 hour marathon or even a 4 hour marathon I think its probably OK.  ANd that people is why they make vanilla and chocolate.  Not everyone can do the same plan and be successful. 

2010-11-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3214260

User image

Regular
Hey Boxer - Good luck with the training.  I'm more of a "train by time" type of person. Used to train by distance but over the past two years switch to time and feel it pays off more for me so than training by distance does.  It keeps me less prone to injury and stress.  Of course I like to know my distance but I have an idea how fast I go.  If I worry about training by distance, I feel like I have to be better than my last workout and that puts a lot of stress on me.  When I train offseason, I particularly follow time, as I'm a bit more into the build phase, I get curious to assess my time goals.  If I need to adjust my program a little to include more intervals or tempo workouts, I will do that by taking time and distance into consideration.  To each their own of course...just my two cents. 
2010-11-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3215497

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Tee that's awesome! Sounds like you have a great training system going on. Do you track your HR? When training time HR is a great indicator of progress and keeps you within your imits. Which means you are doing PRODUCTIVE workouts and not "junk/time wasting" workouts. There are work zones that do not contribute to achieve specific goals and others that can lead you to injury.  For free you can check  http://www.markallenonline.com/ and read Marks training phillosophy. How after trying 6  times to unsuccesfully win Kona he diceided to listen to his heart and he went off to win 6 consecutive Konas. His training plans are all time/HR based.
Good luck on your season as well Tee, stay healthy and motivated!

Check this link, it is good literature to understand some important concepts.
http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-aug-00.htm

Tee2078 - 2010-11-17 4:28 PM Hey Boxer - Good luck with the training.  I'm more of a "train by time" type of person. Used to train by distance but over the past two years switch to time and feel it pays off more for me so than training by distance does.  It keeps me less prone to injury and stress.  Of course I like to know my distance but I have an idea how fast I go.  If I worry about training by distance, I feel like I have to be better than my last workout and that puts a lot of stress on me.  When I train offseason, I particularly follow time, as I'm a bit more into the build phase, I get curious to assess my time goals.  If I need to adjust my program a little to include more intervals or tempo workouts, I will do that by taking time and distance into consideration.  To each their own of course...just my two cents. 

Edited by boxer 2010-11-17 6:59 PM
2010-11-17 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I still respectfully disagree with the time training thing.  For a lot of people I am sure it works but for us slower folks not so much. 

2010-11-17 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA
'Socks' Sue and I have had indiviual coaching for many years. Generic plans are great for many people. Sue has worked with the same coach for all 4 of her Ironmans and I know he knows her incredibly well, what works, what doesn't, and due to his knowledge of her training does what is best for her.

What Mark Allen says in a general article is great and informative but there are many ways to skin a cat in tri training. Do serach on line and you can find two articles that say almost the opposite even in the same issue of any tri magazine.

I've had a coach since '05, so 6 years of coaching. I worked with one coach 4 years, changed to a new coach, and made a change again this year. What I've learned with 3 different styles of coaching is somethings work for me and other things don't. What doesn't work for me, I don't think means no one should do it that way. We each are unique and have different physiology and we need to figure out by trial and error what is best for us.

Big debate over last few years here on BT is the limit to time or do xxx distance for long runs. Folks are in both camps. I've changed my opinion over time but that doesn't mean it is right for everyone.  There is room for both views and we need to respect those who have experience and knowledge what has worked for you. Sue I think is the only person doing IMFL for the 5th time in our BT group.
2010-11-17 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3215842

User image

Regular
Thanks for sharing the websites.  I've checked out the MA website before and it was actually one of the websites that truely got me interested in HR based training.  I swear by it.  However someone trains - dist or time - HR is the key to the training.  I've tested my bike AT (anerobic threshold) on my trainer and my run AT on a one mile track.  The triathlon bible has pretty accurate hr zones once you figure out your AT. 

One day closer, all. 

Edited by Tee2078 2010-11-17 10:53 PM
2010-11-18 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
Great discussion. I just signed up with my coach and started Nov. 1st. Bella Multisport. He bases most of his training on time but most important HR. He said staying in the correct HR zone will help me gage the intensity of the workout and help me stay healthy throught the long training time for the Ironman. This helps when your training calls for a easy day you keep the effort easy.
2010-11-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3216047

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hey Tee, since your are also into training zones and AT, check out this website(PM). I think it is pretty cool!!! It takes your last running race time and it predicts time for other distances based on your Vdot. Also gives you HR for all different paces, etc, etc. It is some sort of nice fitness calculator. I've been playing with it for a while and it's amazingly accurate.
Have fun!!!
And yes, we are all one day closer....... this is way too much fun!!!
I haven't been able to train much, I've been in Asia for the last two weeks.  Yesterday finally ran for the first time since NYC Marathon. Felt great!!! Can't wait to get back home and ride my bike. I miss it so much, just like another family member!

Tee2078 - 2010-11-17 11:51 PM Thanks for sharing the websites.  I've checked out the MA website before and it was actually one of the websites that truely got me interested in HR based training.  I swear by it.  However someone trains - dist or time - HR is the key to the training.  I've tested my bike AT (anerobic threshold) on my trainer and my run AT on a one mile track.  The triathlon bible has pretty accurate hr zones once you figure out your AT. 

One day closer, all. 
2010-11-18 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
OK, so yesterday was a total blow-off as far as training is concerned -- physically. But I was fortunate to experience some inspirational mental training... one of the LBS's here in Austin hosted 2010 Kona Champion Chris McCormack. The man is not only an awesome athlete, he is a great speaker, has a great sense of humor and maintains a sense of reality. He raises funds to support breast cancer research in honor of his mother. He truly respects the sacrifices made by his family with respect to his racing.
I take from his presentation the respect for the event, for the training, for the people around you, and the desire to fundraise for a cause. While mine is heart disease, the belief is the same... make a difference where you can, and don't lose sight of the important things.
I will be proudly sporting my Macca-autographed Cardiac Ironman ballcap as I cross that finish line next November.

2010-11-18 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
I just started training but don't know if I got my wetsuit on right.
2010-11-18 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I know it's early but this IM newbie has a question. I have seen posts about special needs bags and I know a lot of people spent a long time in transition this year. Two questions: 1) What goes in a special needs bag and how many special need stations are there? I didn't have to do this in my 1/2. 2) It seemed like there were a lot of people changing clothes in transition. Is this due to the cold weather or is it normal. What were they changing in to? I know it was warmer clothing, but after the swim were people putting on bike shorts, then changing to tri short for the run, or what? I know this distance is a lot further than the 1/2 I completed but I didn't have to deal with these things in that race. I just always figured people stayed in their tri suit the entire time.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
2010-11-18 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3216802

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Blueraiderzone - 2010-11-18 1:14 PM I know it's early but this IM newbie has a question. I have seen posts about special needs bags and I know a lot of people spent a long time in transition this year. Two questions: 1) What goes in a special needs bag and how many special need stations are there? I didn't have to do this in my 1/2. 2) It seemed like there were a lot of people changing clothes in transition. Is this due to the cold weather or is it normal. What were they changing in to? I know it was warmer clothing, but after the swim were people putting on bike shorts, then changing to tri short for the run, or what? I know this distance is a lot further than the 1/2 I completed but I didn't have to deal with these things in that race. I just always figured people stayed in their tri suit the entire time.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

There is a bike special needs bag and a run special needs bag.  You can put whatever you want in there.  For the bike I usually put extra tubes and CO2 just in case, then some food I might like.  Some people put nutrition they like and can't get on the course.  You can take layers off and put them in there as well.

On the run my coach says to put something in there that will make you smile.  Food, a picture whatever.  I put something to look forward too to get my sorry butt thru the first 1/2 of the marathon.

RE: transition this year; first of all it was abnormally cold so people were trying to put dry things on and lots of layers.  Its really hard to do when you are wet.  I guess the guys tent was a crowded mess esp in T1.  Because they have moved transition inside it takes longer to run in and out.  I willing take an extra couple minutes in transition for a dry warm well lit place to change over a dark crowded tent on pavement which is very cold.  SOme people do complete wardrobe changes esp on their first in both T1 and T2.  I think its a huge mistake and I can't remember reading any race reports where people did not regret doing that.  Keep it simple.  Use ziplocks to organize your things

2010-11-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3216883

Hey Socks...one question I have.  Are you able to retrieve your special needs bags following the race in IMFL.  When I did IMKY, we were not allowed to get back our bags after the race.  It would change a lot on what I would put in there if I could get it back.

Also, I would only recommend completely changing clothes (at least shorts), just to have something dry.  Plus, for the bike, I do not think I can do 112 miles in tri shorts.  I need the full padding!  I do agree on keeping it simple though.  I put too many snacks, etc in my transition and special needs bags that I did not need.  I was mostly satisfied with the nutrition provided on the course.

Tim
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 87