Sri Chinmoy
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 3s
Overall Rank = 141/172
Age Group = < 50
Age Group Rank = 45/64
Pre-race routine:

I got up nice and early, had 1/2 bagel w/ PB and banana with coffee and headed out. When I got to my car, I realized that I forgot to put my watch on but decided not to go back and get it. I didn’t want the stress of racing against a clock. I took everything out of the car and went straight to transition. I overheard to guys talking - one guy was asking the other if he was racing today. If someone asked me if I was racing I would say no, just participating! I set up my bike and met a lady in my swim wave. She was just as terrified of the swim as me – how comforting! We both exchanged some positive affirmations and it was getting better already. Then I saw a shining smile and I knew I was going to be ok – it was Jo! Jo told me I was strong and I could do it and you know what – I believed her!
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 34m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

My wave was last and my goal time was 40 minutes. Over the loud speaker, the announcer said if we were having problems during the swim, we could raise our hand and a kayak/lifeguard would come over to us and we could hold on to the boat until we felt better and could continue to swim. We would not be disqualified as long as the boat didn’t pull us forward. Those were the most comforting words of the day! Our wave started and I was off, I started in the middle of the pack looking for someone to draft off of. I took it slow and followed a girl until the end…it was perfect because she did most of the navigating and the feeling of not wanting to lose her kept me going. To my surprise, I was not last getting out of the water! It was too hot for a wetsuit but 95% of the competitors were wearing them and I would wear it again.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in open water and in the pool
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was feeling great, I ran out of the water and saw my friends and yelled to them, “I did it and I didn’t even stop” and then I tripped over my feet and fell into the sand. I heard them laughing which made me laugh – volunteers rushed over to see if I was ok and I told them I was although I had no idea if I was or wasn’t. I ran over to my bike assessing the damage – there was none – I was ok other than my pride was a bit shattered. It didn’t matter though because I had finished the hardest part – the swim. Then I heard, “Carolyn, you’re doing great!” I looked up and it was Bill and Jo – I don’t even know if I acknowledged them but they made me feel soooooooo good! Transition was fast and I was ready to get on the bike!

Practice swim to bike transition and taking off my wet suit
Bike
  • 1h 30m 9s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.62 km/hr
Comments:

I clipped into my pedals and I was off but I felt completely drunk so I took a gel. I felt like I gave it all on the swim and had nothing left. Two people passed me on the bike and I was getting so discouraged – this is my strongest leg and I’m doing horrible! I was all over the lane and almost drove into the ditch. My mind was playing games with me – at 2k I thought, I could stop now and its fine…I accomplished the hardest part, the swim. Then another person passed me and said, “You’re doing good, just get your cadence up and spin for awhile”. So, I clicked into a lower gear and started peddling faster….and it worked! I was afraid to pass people because I didn’t want to play leap frog with them and it was a really hilly route – sure I could pass them going downhill but I didn’t want them to pass me on one of the many climbs. Finally breaking frustrated me because I didn’t want to get a penalty for drafting so I started passing people – I was feeling good again! My friends were on the bike route, snapping pictures and cheering for me – I know it sounds crazy but I was actually starting to have fun!

Practice swim to bike transitions
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was so happy to get off the bike and get started on the run. Hung up my bike, put socks and shoes on and off I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 04m 52s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I met my buddy Todd on the run course and he ran pretty much the whole way with me. I walked during water stations but otherwise ran the distance. Todd said this is the perfect sport for a single guy…where else do you get hot women in spandex telling you that you are looking strong and great! I don’t remember much other than the end of the race. At about 8k my nagging foot injury started to act up and at 9K I just wanted it to be over. I crossed the finish line and started crying like a little baby. Again, a flock of volunteers asked me if I was ok and I said, “yes, I’m just emotional".

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the water table and walked around drinking water, walked to the food tent and walked and ate a cup of fresh fruit and half a bagel with cream cheese. Then I took off my shoes and went back into the lake to cool off the legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight

Event comments:

The food was awesome – pancakes, fruit, bagels and creamcheese. I won an awesome door prize – bouquet of flowers, technical t-shirt, tin of tea, 2 entry forms for the Sound of Silence 10 k run, and some chain lube.

Thank you to all of you for your support!

Last updated: 2005-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:03 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/172
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S1 Speedsuit
Course: Loop at Elk Lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:30:09 | 40 kms | 26.62 km/hr
Wind: None
Course: Hills, more hills and more hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:52 | 10 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Course: Trail run around Elk and Beaver Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Subject: Self-Transcendence Triathlon

2005-08-01 8:40 PM
in reply to: #213281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Selt-Transcendence Triathlon
Thank you SO much for sharing your experience and for stopping by my thread. The first Sprint I did was hard enough, but I still had more to give after the cycle and run portions. The swim took a lot out of me, but it was my first open water swim in about 14 years and I think I was more freaked out than unable to do it. When I look at the official photos, tho, you see all of these people running from the swim to the bike. I am very clearly sauntering, no running for me. I am far more nervous about the 1.5k swim than I am the cycle and run. How much training did you do? How many days a week? How many sessions of each sport? Right now, I am on a 3x each sport plan with one rest day a week, but I'm not doing more than 2x of each sport in a given week. I just have a hard time finding 9 times in a week to get it done!!!
2005-08-01 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Awesome job!

Can I ask a question? Did you ever do a Olympic Brick to get ready? I'm hedging on trying an Olympic. There's one at Wasaga Beach in Sept. I'm thinking about but it's a big step up from the sprint.

2005-08-01 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Thanks for reading my report. Please feel free to look at my logs to see my training. I did not do any bricks of Olympic distance but I did do them in Sprint Distances. I would recommend doing them in Olympic distances though.
2005-08-01 9:13 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Carolyn,

Great race and race report.  You're awesome!  I've been so chicken to do anything but sprint, but you did your olympic with grace (well, other than the little trip ).   It sounds like the volunteer were on it, and like you got some great support from friends and strangers as well.  This sport is soooo cool-very friendly and kind people. 

So you should be all fired up and ready for your next one in 2 weeks!!!  I'm sure you learned some things from this one that will make the next one even better!  Great job. 

2005-08-01 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
That was solid and a great story too. You demolished your swim goal!!

2005-08-02 1:54 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Thats a great report.
I actually laughed out loud at that trip. Sorry.
Good to hear your foot held up for you.
You have another one in 2 weeks.
Get ready!!!!
Glad the swim went perfect.

dan
2005-08-02 5:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-02 11:35 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Carolyn,

Congrats on beating all of your goals. I knew that you could do it.

Great job on the bike. I know that route is really hilly. You had a great average for those hills. Great job conquering the tricks that your mind was playing on you.

By the way, I think that a tris in this area are cursed. I fell on the HIM during the run portion. Did you get a cool scrape to show for it?

Nice work recording what you would do differently and in order to perform faster, but I have no idea what you are talking about when you say, "my weight." Yeah, no idea at all. Don't change that athletic body.

Jen

PS - Don't tell Dan, but I'm cheering for you to win the next one.

2005-08-03 10:18 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race report!~  Way to go on the swim beating your target time!  Thats awesome. I do'nt think you needed my help at all with the open water swim with a 34min time!  well done.

Its a great feeling when it starts feeling like fun.  the first few tris I did I wondered what on earth I was doing and why I was coming back for more.  the last one I did I loved and had soo much fun!

Congrats on the door prize too!  thats a cool prize

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Self-Transcendence Triathlon Rss Feed