Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Favourite Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-23 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
Subject: Favourite Race
I've got some great local races I do every year and I use to gage my fitness.  But I love to structure my race year around "big" races, at least they're big in  my mind. This is pushing me further and further from home.   Syracuse, Timberman, Eagleman, Savageman, Mooseman, Musscleman, Vineman, Black Fly, Chesepeakeman...get the picture.   I know there are great Ontario races and I have done a few.
 Guelph Lake (II) and Muskoka are two on my repeat list
What's your favourite Ontario race and what makes it a must-do?

My current number one is the Meech Lake Tri which is a long sprint (1200m 22k 7 k(Quebec...I know...not quite Ontario... but it's where I ride every day). It's a small race with a lot of great volunteers, set up to raise money, and on a course that I don't think can be matched anywhere. The swim is clean and sheltered, the bike is on the Gatineau Hills parkways, and the run is mostly in the shade.  There are bigger races, better supported races, and more spectacle elsewhere...but i have not found a race that feels more like what I believe triathlons are all about.   And this year the post race munch was awesome! 

2010-11-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3224229

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Favourite Race
The Cobourg olympic triathlon/duathlon. I just love the bike course. I think there's only a few km's that are flat, the rest is all up and down.
2010-11-24 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Around the Bay - it's a run, not a tri but it's one that people are excited for.  The distance is challenging without being crazy taxing.  And of course, there's the history - as they proclaim every year, the race is older than the Boston Marathon.  I mean, if you do it you have to look out for the ladies banging on the pots on Beach road, and the little person blaring music as you come around before the big hill and the 'grim reaper (now with son) who come out and 'encourage runners'.   It's not a super scenic course but I love finishing in Copps ...

Can you tell I really like this race?
2010-11-25 10:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
X 2 for Around the Bay!
Didn't think I'd be a fan of it... but I LOVE it!
Great crowd support in Hamilton.
& the stadium finish is very fun
(not so much fun going down stairs after the run if you wait & meet up with friends in the stadium afterwards!)
But all part of the experience
2010-11-26 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Triathlon: Milton (750m-30k-7.5k)
Its a great race to begin a new triathlon season. Testing your cycling on the 6th line hill (how quick you can recover and get back to speed), and testing your running ability on a tough trail run. Pro's come out and it makes it a great race.

Run: I will tentatively x3 on 30k ATB, but I haven't done it.... yet.

Cycling: K-W Classic Road Race (13 laps of 4.75k), total of 60k (draft legal).
Incredibly fun, if you have a road bike and the handling skills for some tight corners at 40+km/hr. After doing lots of Triathlon races, I was ready to be humbled in this cycling race, and renew my motivation to cycle more. It will do just that. You pour every last ounce of strength into this race just to keep contact with the group of 20 or 30 riders in your designated wave. Attacks on every hill, attacks around corners, its just an amazing experience.

2010-11-26 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
My top Ontario race has got to be Muskoka...both long course and The 70.3.  I love the area, the hills, the great organiztion, the fan support, the hills, the town, the Deerhurst, and the hills.  Not so fond of the 70.3 swim.  Kind of murky and too shallow.  It's close to everywhere and is a really nice weekend trip.  And the quality of athlete and the speed of the races has really jumped since I first did the long course in '92.  Really jumped! 
Love to see the world's best pros at 70.3. How many of you have played hockey with Stamkos, Cosby or Eberle? (snuck that last one in...the kid is great).  Now how many of you have raced with Alexander, Wellington, Tissere?

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Favourite Race Rss Feed