United States
Ironman North America
Overcast
Total Time = 15h 49m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W50-54
Age Group Rank = 38/56
Pre-race routine:

I have been wanting to do an Ironman for a few years, I think self doubt was my biggest enemy. I would keep saying "I'm not ready." Last year I found myself on site, cheering for my son, the next morning as my husband got in line for the Ironman store to buy him a finishers jacket, I slipped my drivers license and credit card into my pocket and resolutely got in the registration line. The time was now or never I was not getting any younger. Wow, how fast a year can fly by! Fast forward to 2010 and here I was still self doubting, still calculating and recalculating cut-off times and worst case race paces in my head. My husband and I arrived on Thursday, I'm glad we didn't wait till Friday it was really nice to have some time there to de-stress and take in the whole atmosphere. My Ironman son's advice was just to relax, and enjoy the whole experience. Four of my sons arrived on Friday--support crew assembled, I was ready to take this on.
I had become friends with AZSunshine through a coincidental meeting on one of my training rides in Tempe. It was so nice to have someone to meet up with and motivate each other. We got together on Saturday morning and did the practice swim. I am so glad we did it, it gave me confidence I could do this without OW panic, and I could handle the water temps. Thanks Kate!
Race Morning: alarm went off at 4:00 am but I didn't need it, I couldn't sleep. Ate some toast, a banana and a diet coke. My husband and one son drove me down to the park, I was so emotional that it was really here, a years worth of training about to be put to the test. My son kept pumping me up with lots of positive comments so I didn't burst into tears. He did a great job.
Event warmup:

Checked on my bike, filled my bottles, took the trash bag covers off my seat and bento box, met up with Kate we put our wet suits on and before we knew it, it was time to start.
Swim
  • 1h 51m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started with Kate, she jumped in first, it was now or never, I jumped. We quickly lost each other, but it was nice to have someone to take that first jump with! I was scared of being beat up in the swim so I started way, way, back, probably 100 yards back of the start line. Started off with the mantra "long and strong, just keep swimming" I am not a fast swimmer, and was hoping to come in at about 2:00 hours. I didn't see the clock when I came out of the water, but I came out of T1 at 2:02. Yay, I had bought myself an extra half hour .
What would you do differently?:

I was so far back there was no such thing as drafting, just avoiding breast strokers, back strokers etc. Next time I would be a lot braver and seed myself farther forward, maybe be able to get on someones feet. I also need to work on sighting, I constantly veered left and was swimming inside the buoy line, the zig zagging didn't help my time.
Transition 1
  • 11m 11s
Comments:

It seemed to take a long time to get my wetsuit off. When I got to the changing tent a volunteer helped my pull on a compression jersey over my tri kit, gloves, socks, shoes, helmet, extra tube in my pocket and I was off.

I would probably skip the jersey and just wear arm warmers. Not a great T1 time, but I'm just loving the fact I was still in, I made the swim cut off.
Bike
  • 7h 17m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I was disappointed with my time, but given the conditions I really did the best I could.
The volunteers were great, someone helped me with my bento box that was falling off, thank you.
I pulled off the course so they could pour Ironman perform directly into my aero bottle, for me it was worth stopping for a minute or so.

The only thing I wanted from my special needs bag was my DZNuts Bliss (chamois butter) If I had that in my pocket instead I may have been a happier girl! I stressed, really stressed over what to put in my SN bags, next time I wouldn't worry about it so much.
Transition 2
  • 09m 20s
Comments:

I did not change my clothes, I put on my running shoes, fresh socks, a hat, and left, so why did that take my 9:20!

I forgot that I planned to put vaseline on my feet, I would try to remember as I have one toe that always blisters.
Run
  • 6h 20m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a fast runner, anything less than 12:00 minute miles on a normal run I am happy with. At my pace I knew that even though I had 7 1/2 hours to finish I would need to run. I trotted along, walked all the aid stations and just kept going. Again, I tried to tell myself, relax, enjoy, you and doing an Ironman, enjoy the sunset and just keep moving. When I made the final turn I was running with a distinct lean to the left side. Mike Reilly said that is truly mind over matter and told the crowd to make a lot of noise and bring me in. They were incredible, thank you! I forgot to raise my hands at the finish line, I was just looking for where that darn mat was I had to cross.

Towards the end of the run I was running, leaning to the left, I thought it must be something going on with my back. When I got home and did a little research on it, I believe I had brain hyperthermia. My brain was overheating. I had worn a long sleeve jersey through the run and bike even though at some times it was quite warm. I would dress down next time, and hydrate more, I didn't like the run course flavor of Ironman Perform so I was mostly drinking coke and probably not getting enough fluids and electrolytes.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, right into Chrissie Wellington's arms, at first I didn't even know it was her, she asked if it was my first Ironman and I said yes, then realizing who it was, I said, "Did you win?"
She said, quite humbly "yes". Thanks, Chrissie for being there and being an inspiration to all of us who are there to only win for ourselves. Met my husband and boys who had been there all day, trying to be at as many points as possible to cheer me on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was probably overdressed on the bike and especially the run. I trained for distance, not intensity, If I do another Ironman it will be time to start interval training and really try to increase speed, I know now I can do the distance, now it's time to improve the time.

Event comments:

This race was a success for me, I finished! Thanks to my husband and boys for putting up with me all year. They never complained when I was gone to the gym morning and night. They picked me up from long runs and bike flats. They encouraged me when I was discouraged, they believed in me more than I believed in myself. They made sure I had great equipment, they wouldn't let me fail. They were all over the course to cheer me on, they are my strength.

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:51:23 | 4224 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/56
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Blue Seventy Axis
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:17:46 | 112 miles | 15.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/56
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: I had done two practice rides on the course, one in June and one in October with considerable improvement in my riding. I felt strong and headed out fast, I thought there was a pretty good chance i would be able to average 17mph. Ha! After the first downhill struggle with the headwind I knew it wouldn't happen, I knew my average would be good enough for the cutoff times so I just tried to remember, "I am doing an Ironman, I am doing an Ironman. Enjoy the day." I was rewarded with a gorgeous rainbow! I didn't even mind heading out on the third loop, after all it was the last loop! My husband and boys met me with lots of cheering every time I came in and out.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:20
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:20:01 | 26.2 miles | 14m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/56
Performance: Bad
Course: Three laps of a figure 8 loop, a little confusing on a map, but well marked when you're out there. Flat, but there are some places that definitely feel a little up hill by this point.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-28 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-28 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3228018

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
A HUGE congrats on your first Ironman!!!!
2010-11-28 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Congrats on your 1st IM.  Although I got a lot of comments on the shirt throughout the day, you were the only one from BT that said hi.  

2010-12-06 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Congrats Ironman!! And even more awesome that you got to meet Chrissie at the finish line!! 

Very inspiring!
2010-12-08 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job, great report!!  Sounds like an amazing experience! Congrats Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed