BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-03-21 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3407603

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
lounav - 2011-03-21 4:17 PM
crystalashworth - 2011-03-21 4:48 PM

AND....a video to prove that I finished.  hehe

http://youtu.be/G8e2GLdswqo

As a mom, doing this in large part to be a good active role model for my kids, the "go mommy, go momma" made me cry.  I know, I'm a total sap.  Loved your race report.  So proud of you!!

You're not a total sap Louise.  I totally cry reading people's race reports and watching their videos!    Yours is coming up June 5th?  Can't wait to hear all about it!  :D 

2011-03-21 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3407603

User image

Veteran
lounav - 2011-03-21 4:17 PM
crystalashworth - 2011-03-21 4:48 PM

AND....a video to prove that I finished.  hehe

http://youtu.be/G8e2GLdswqo

As a mom, doing this in large part to be a good active role model for my kids, the "go mommy, go momma" made me cry.  I know, I'm a total sap.  Loved your race report.  So proud of you!!

x2!!!  Ohhh... I LOVED that!!! Way to go Crystal .... so proud of you and Happy FOR you!

2011-03-21 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3407559

New user

Klamath Falls OR

Great job Crystal!! The video with your kids was great and enjoyed reading your race report.

2011-03-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Crystal is done with her first and did so well! Wish I was in the competition phase but alas, not until june 5. I've finally finished my base period and starting the build phase - begins with 1 hour run tomorrow with 5x1 min pick- ups. Have until Saturday to decide if I'm going to do the Don Fink competitive or intermediate program (30 week iron distance training). Looks like the biggest different is that the intermediate does not have brick sessions on lon days, so I'm leaning toward the competitive.Any thoughts? I'm going to try to get my next phase loaded this week. Might try to do a mix
2011-03-21 11:01 PM
in reply to: #3407092

User image

Master
Vista, CA
crystalashworth - 2011-03-21 11:17 AM
TriAya - 2011-03-21 9:16 AM

crystalashworth - 2011-03-21 7:11 AM Soooooo I DID IT!!!!!!I thought I was going to die on the bike but I did it!I don't have details on my times yet - but when I get those I'll do a race report.Thank you to all my Manatees for your support - I felt the love today!

Congratulations, TRIATHLETE!!!!! (trust me, this never gets old, but the first time is the sweetest)

The bike didn't kill you -- you killed IT to get on the run and swoop in for the finish!!!

A well-earned bike-chain superstar congrats!!!!!

THANKS!!!    I love the glittery bike chain star (even though the bike is my bitter enemy..hehe)

RACE REPORT IS UP!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245513

YEA CRYSTAL!! YOU"RE a ROCK STAR!!!
2011-03-22 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

Ummmm...

How long am I going to be a bottomless pit of neverending eating after this triathlon?  I think I've probably gained weight since my tri because I can't.stop.eating!

2011-03-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3409269

User image

Melon Presser
crystalashworth - 2011-03-23 7:11 AM

Ummmm...

How long am I going to be a bottomless pit of neverending eating after this triathlon?  I think I've probably gained weight since my tri because I can't.stop.eating!

Hm. Until the next triathlon, I think. Rinse, repeat. That's why you just have to keep training and forging ahead ... hahaha.

Yeah, an intense race, especially first one of its kind, can be a real shock to your system--OMG IT'S THE APOCALYPSE I BETTER STUFF MY FACE SILLY 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHEN FOOD WILL NEXT BE FOUND AND APPARENTLY I'M SPOZED TO BE RUNNING LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL IN BETWEEN ...

You know the drill ... high fiber filling foods, quality protein, dab o' good fats yeah, I know, all I want is Pop Tarts and potato chips, too.

2011-03-23 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3410434

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
TriAya - 2011-03-23 9:24 AM

Hm. Until the next triathlon, I think. Rinse, repeat. That's why you just have to keep training and forging ahead ... hahaha.

Yeah, an intense race, especially first one of its kind, can be a real shock to your system--OMG IT'S THE APOCALYPSE I BETTER STUFF MY FACE SILLY 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHEN FOOD WILL NEXT BE FOUND AND APPARENTLY I'M SPOZED TO BE RUNNING LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL IN BETWEEN ...

You know the drill ... high fiber filling foods, quality protein, dab o' good fats yeah, I know, all I want is Pop Tarts and potato chips, too.

OH MY GOSH - I read this at a stop light on my way to work, and I almost choked I was laughing so hard.  I was like "EXACTLY!!!"  I've been totally stuffing my face with sweets and potato chips.

Back to all the fiber, protein, yada yada yada NEXT WEEK.  Tongue out

2011-03-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3410624

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
crystalashworth - 2011-03-23 10:35 AM
TriAya - 2011-03-23 9:24 AM

OH MY GOSH - I read this at a stop light on my way to work, and I almost choked I was laughing so hard.  I was like "EXACTLY!!!"  I've been totally stuffing my face with sweets and potato chips.

Back to all the fiber, protein, yada yada yada NEXT WEEK.  Tongue out

Cravings sweets can be an indicator that you have a higher than usual level of insulin, or a lower than usual blood sugar level.  I'm guessing (and I'm an Engineer, not a Dr.) that it is low blood sugar since sugar is where glycogen (the muscle fuel you used during your tri) come from (yea - lots more science behind it than that).  However, as Yanti says - the body could be preparing for another (the OMG stage) or reparing from the last one.  I suspect it is a little of each - fuel yourself for a few days, but get back to normal quickly - ie don't gain more than 2-3 lbs.  May take a few days of real sacrifice but if you are gaining weight, your body does not need it.

Second negative factor is the adrenaline - you stressed your body and the adrenal glands kicked in to deal with the stress.  They are now depleted and need re-charged.  It would probably be a good time for your hubby to do something stupid since your fight / flight response is dulled.  Wink

What to do - eat healthy but don't restrict carbs / sugars in the good food.  For sure - no Adkins or South Beach.  Get some fresh fruit and munch on that.  I freeze fresh strawberries cut into 1/4 and then suck on them instead of ice cream.   After sucking on 1-2 strawberries worth, my sweet craving will pass.

2011-03-23 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

Thanks for the tips John - I buy the bags of frozen fruit from Costco but usually for my kids.  Never though to use those for my sweet cravings.  The hardest thing is at work where we have a fridge stocked with crap.  I eat pretty decent at home.

Also...how long should I 'rest' before I start training again?  I think I'm actually going to do the 30 Day Shred - for the next month to get weight down and build some muscle - and then jump back into training in May.  I might throw in some swim / bike / run days this month just to switch things up but I'm not going to focus hardcore on training.  There is a Masters Swim Class coming up right by my house at the end of April - so I think I'm going to sign up for that.  And I definitely need to start biking with some folks - I might start with some spin classes at my gym though - since it will definitely be heating up by May.

2011-03-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3409269

crystalashworth - 2011-03-22 6:11 PM

Ummmm...

I know the feeling. I went through the same thing after my first ri, 10k, half mary, and 200m swim. Ate all day long and into the next day. Next week I get to find out if it'll be the same way in season 2.

2011-03-23 6:13 PM

Hi Manatees!!!

Work this year so far had a greater volume than expected so I haven't been as involved as I had planned with the group. I have been lurking but since I got off early today I wanted to check in and give an update.

Work has basically only left me time to eat, sleep, and train. Training has had its ups and downs. So far this year I have committed to 6 months with a personal coach, I have had 2 weeks out with an injury, and then 2 weeks of ordered bed rest from a bad bout of the flu. I am back training and my first race is Sunday April 3rd and my first H.I.M. EVER is May 7th.

Lastly, a shameless plug- Currently Acura is offering to sponsor 1 athlete with a new Acura TSX wagon.  You win the by getting friends and acquaintances to vote for you on Acura's facebook page. If any one has time you can go to http://cot.ag/hvgAuo

, click Lucas Tucker, and then Click vote. Feel free to click share on the next screen. Of the original 1500 original applicants I am in 14th place, but 1200 votes away from the winner. Every vote counts and supporters can vote every 24 hours, until April 3rd.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!

2011-03-23 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3411361

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Tucker_lr - 2011-03-23 4:13 PM

Hi Manatees!!!

Work this year so far had a greater volume than expected so I haven't been as involved as I had planned with the group. I have been lurking but since I got off early today I wanted to check in and give an update.

Work has basically only left me time to eat, sleep, and train. Training has had its ups and downs. So far this year I have committed to 6 months with a personal coach, I have had 2 weeks out with an injury, and then 2 weeks of ordered bed rest from a bad bout of the flu. I am back training and my first race is Sunday April 3rd and my first H.I.M. EVER is May 7th.

Lastly, a shameless plug- Currently Acura is offering to sponsor 1 athlete with a new Acura TSX wagon.  You win the by getting friends and acquaintances to vote for you on Acura's facebook page. If any one has time you can go to http://cot.ag/hvgAuo

, click Lucas Tucker, and then Click vote. Feel free to click share on the next screen. Of the original 1500 original applicants I am in 14th place, but 1200 votes away from the winner. Every vote counts and supporters can vote every 24 hours, until April 3rd.

Lucas, please excuse my lack of  facebook  knowledge -- I'd be happy to vote for you but didn't really see a way to do that.

2011-03-23 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3411211

User image

Master
Vista, CA
crystalashworth - 2011-03-23 2:25 PM

Thanks for the tips John - I buy the bags of frozen fruit from Costco but usually for my kids.  Never though to use those for my sweet cravings.  The hardest thing is at work where we have a fridge stocked with crap.  I eat pretty decent at home.

Also...how long should I 'rest' before I start training again?  I think I'm actually going to do the 30 Day Shred - for the next month to get weight down and build some muscle - and then jump back into training in May.  I might throw in some swim / bike / run days this month just to switch things up but I'm not going to focus hardcore on training.  There is a Masters Swim Class coming up right by my house at the end of April - so I think I'm going to sign up for that.  And I definitely need to start biking with some folks - I might start with some spin classes at my gym though - since it will definitely be heating up by May.

Hey triathlete Crystal -- Don't cha' just love hearing (reading) that?  Anyway, wanted to plop my 2cents worth in on your topic of what do do now. I'd keep s/b/r but with less intensity. Now that you've educated your body and it's done a tri you can build on that fitness and now is the time. I think a swim class would be great and cycling with some friends, great, but keep up a maintenance routine in training so you don't have to start all over again for your next one. You may even find you want to bump up your distance next year or toward the end of this year if you stay conditioned. :-)

2011-03-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3411554

lmscozz - 2011-03-23 9:50 PM
Tucker_lr - 2011-03-23 4:13 PM

Hi Manatees!!!

Lucas, please excuse my lack of  facebook  knowledge -- I'd be happy to vote for you but didn't really see a way to do that.

No problem. If you click the link above, it should take you to a page that says "compete like a pro" If you scroll down past the titles and intro, past the photo of the car, it should say leader board. I should be about 14th down. Click on my name and then click vote on the next page- it will be a graphic just right of center between my name and bio.

2011-03-23 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3411211

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
crystalashworth - 2011-03-23 3:25 PM

Did you want a response in minutes or hours?  Actually - I agree with the other comment about taking it easy, but DON'T stop.  Your muscles will recover quicker if you do some light work and get the blood flowing again.  I read something in one of the books I have on it, but don't remember the recommencation.

If weight loss is going to be a focus - I recommend "Weight loss for Triathletes".  Good read and helped me quite a bit.  Also get a food log and start tracking calories - surprising how fast some items add up (2 tbl spoons of peanut butter ~ 200 calories).

I'll let you know how I do with the Escape from Alcatraz (close to Oly length) followed by a Sprint 2 weeks later - I'm planning on spending a week in CAL after the escape on vacation with family.  Not sure how I will mix a recover week followed by a ramp down into the Sprint. 

2011-03-24 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Wife just had some surgery.  Everything went well.  I have gained about 5 lbs in stress eating/taper.  On the plus side, I am certain that my glycogen stores are topped off.
2011-03-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3413342

User image

Veteran
Austin

pga_mike - 2011-03-24 10:13 PM Wife just had some surgery.  Everything went well.  I have gained about 5 lbs in stress eating/taper.  On the plus side, I am certain that my glycogen stores are topped off.

So glad to hear things went well with your wife.  Hang in there!

2011-03-25 4:06 PM

User image

Melon Presser

pga_mike - 2011-03-25 12:13 PM Wife just had some surgery.  Everything went well.  I have gained about 5 lbs in stress eating/taper.  On the plus side, I am certain that my glycogen stores are topped off.

YOU are gonna rock it, platyfoot. You are so well prepared. And yeah ... don't worry about the taper weight. It's just a fluctuation, really. Good thoughts for your wife as she recovers and for you in your last week ...

2011-03-25 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Crap...now I'm thinking Iron Girl Lake Tahoe in September!  It can be part of a vacation and I can visit my dad.  hehe
2011-03-25 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3414853

User image

Melon Presser

crystalashworth - 2011-03-26 7:51 AM Crap...now I'm thinking Iron Girl Lake Tahoe in September!  It can be part of a vacation and I can visit my dad.  hehe
DREAM, triathlete, and DO.

That is one gorgeous race location and I've heard nothing but good things about the Iron Girl series.

Word to the wise ... either come in literally the afternoon before the race, OR give yourself several days to acclimatize. That elevation can be a kick in the chest if you do it the 2nd or 3rd full day you're there.

2011-03-25 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
pga_mike - 2011-03-24 8:13 PM Wife just had some surgery.  Everything went well.  I have gained about 5 lbs in stress eating/taper.  On the plus side, I am certain that my glycogen stores are topped off.

Glad your wife's on the mend. Good husband, good husband. Sounds like your priorities are in shape.

2011-03-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3414853

User image

Master
Vista, CA
crystalashworth - 2011-03-25 3:51 PM Crap...now I'm thinking Iron Girl Lake Tahoe in September!  It can be part of a vacation and I can visit my dad.  hehe

Last year was the first year they did the tri there. I met the race director here in San Diego at the Iron Girl 10K and she offered to comp the race for me. They were concerned about having enough people. It IS very well-run. Good goodie bags, and lots of pro-female rah-rah energy, which can only be good. Go for it!
2011-03-29 2:28 PM

User image

Master

Can I still be a Mad Manatee...even after being awol for months and months and months?!?!

I've completely slacked on the training and the numbers on the scale prove it! 

I need my mojo back...and a little nice weather wouldn't hurt

2011-03-29 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3420194

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2011-03-30 4:28 AM

Can I still be a Mad Manatee...even after being awol for months and months and months?!?!

I've completely slacked on the training and the numbers on the scale prove it! 

I need my mojo back...and a little nice weather wouldn't hurt

Carla dear

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee ... unless of course, we get really fit and suddenly become seals or something. Besides, you're a double Manatee, which I suppose means you get to be one even in your next life. Heh. Wonderful to see you again.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38